Lady Shri Ram College for Women
Lady Shri Ram College for Women (LSR) is a constituent women's college of the University of Delhi. It is an arts and commerce college, and it has been ranked 1 in Arts and Education, 2 in Commerce and 3 in Mass Communication by India Today.
|Motto||Sã vidyã yã vimuktaye|
"That alone is knowledge which leads to liberation"
|Type||Public women's college|
|Founder||Lala Shri Ram|
|University of Delhi|
History and evolutionEdit
Established in 1956 in New Delhi by the late Lala Shri Ram in memory of his wife Phoolan Devi (Lady Shri Ram), the college began in a school building in Daryaganj, Central Delhi with 299 students, nine faculty, four support staff and three distinct courses of study. Today, the college is located in a 5-acre (20,000 m2) campus in Lajpat Nagar in South Delhi. It has approximately 2000 students, over 150 faculty, administrative and support staff and 16 courses of study.
LSR's infrastructure includes a newly refurbished, computerized user-friendly library with internet access, 1200 books, 50 online journals and 12798 in-house journals and periodicals. Its Board of Governors is chaired by industrialist and philanthropist Bharat Ram. The new principal of the college is Suman Sharma.
- B.A. (H): Economics, English, Hindi, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Sanskrit, Sociology, Psychology
- B.Com. (H)
- B.A. Programme
- BSc. (H): Mathematics, Statistics
- Postgraduate Diploma in Conflict Transformation and Peace-building (CTPB)
- Journalism and Mass Communication (H)
Festivals and ClubsEdit
Tarang is the annual cultural festival of Lady Shri Ram College. Tarang is known for bringing together the best student talent from across the country in fields of music, dance, dramatics, debating, fine arts, quiz, and film.
LSR also has 20 other clubs for extra-curricular activities such as Hive for art enthusiasts, a Debsoc for debates, and Dramasoc for drama. LSR's choreography group is one of the best among all Delhi University colleges. Both classical and international music are popular clubs here. In addition, there is also a compulsory enrollment in NSS, NSO or NCC.[clarification needed]
- Aditi Rao Hydari, Bollywood actress
- Anasuya Sengupta, Senior Director of Grantmaking, Wikimedia Foundation
- Anjali Gopalan, honoured with Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur; founder of Naz Foundation (India) Trust
- Anupriya Patel, MP MIRZAPUR Uttar Pradesh
- Archana Puran Singh, television host, Bollywood actress, anchor and celebrity judge
- Aung San Suu Kyi, pro-democracy activist and leader of the National League for Democracy in Burma; Nobel Peace Prize laureate
- Baisali Mohanty, classical dancer and choreographer; columnist
- Chitra Subramaniam, India's first woman investigative journalist
- Chhavi Rajawat, Sarpanch of village Soda
- Deepa Mehta, filmmaker
- Gauri Khan, film producer, interior designer
- Gita Mittal, Judge, Delhi High Court
- Gita Gopinath, Chief Economist, International Monetary Fund
- Indu Malhotra, Judge, Supreme Court of India
- Jaishree Misra, popular fiction author
- Kiran Walia, ex-MLA; ex-Minister of Health and Family Welfare Department, Women & Child Development and Languages, Delhi Government.
- Maneka Sanjay Gandhi
- Meenakshi Gopinath, educationist, former principal and Padma Shri awardee
- Meenakshi Reddy Madhavan, author
- Mridula Mukherjee, Director, Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, Delhi.
- Naina Lal Kidwai, Chief Executive Officer, HSBC India
- Nabila Jamshed, author
- Nidhi Razdan, NDTV anchor
- Niharika Acharya, editorial director, National Journal
- Pariva Pranati, popular TV actress
- Poile Sengupta, writer
- Preeti Saran, Diplomat from the Indian Foreign Service
- Rashi Khanna, Tollywood actress
- Sakshi Tanwar, television actress
- Shikha Sharma, CEO Axis Bank India
- Shriya Saran, Indian film actress
- Sujatha Singh, former Indian Foreign Secretary
- Uma Sharma, Kathak dancer
- Usha Thorat, Former Deputy Governor, Reserve Bank of India
- Vinita Bali, Managing Director, Britannia Industries
- Sunita Kohli, Interior Designer who restored Rashtrapati Bhawan