Kirori Mal College
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|University of Delhi|
|Principal||Vibha Singh Chauhan|
|Location||North Campus, University Enclave, Delhi-110 007|
Kirori Mal College is one of the constituent college of the University of Delhi, located in the North Campus of DU, in New Delhi, India. Established in 1954. It offers undergraduate and graduate courses in science, arts, and commerce. It offers extracurricular activities and is known for theatre, music and art. Students and alumni of this college are often called Kirorians. One of the most prestigious colleges of University of Delhi, it admits students with high academic cut-offs. National Assessment and Accreditation Council accredited it with a CGPA of 3.54(A+) in 2016, which is third highest among all Delhi University colleges.
Kirori Mal College is a co-educational constituent college and a part of north campus, University of Delhi. It has successfully maintained its place as one of the finest within the University of Delhi.The College maintains its own tradition of celebrating Founders’ Day, Annual Day & Graduate Farewell Dinner.The College has been honouring the staff members who have rendered 25 years of their services in the college. Various events are organised in the college annually by Avenues, The Commerce Society, Enactus, debsoc, musoc, fostas, sensation, film society, NSS, NCC and the round table etc. College provides financial assistance to its deserving students. The College has about 5200 students on its roll out of which 170 live in the Hostel.Kirori Mal College also Shined in NASA while participating in NASA Lunabotics Competition 2013 in Kennedy Space Centre, Florida and won two prizes. In 2014, the team has undertaken two projects and the team has been invited for the University Rover Challenge (URC), world’s premier robotics event for college students.
Kirori Mal College began as Nirmala College, started by American Jesuits in the wake of partition. It was located on Qutub Road. Faced with intractable problems relating to the staff in the period following the partition, the management of the college changed hands and the trust founded by Seth Kirori Mal took over the college. The college shifted to its present campus on 1 February 1954.The college celebrated its Golden Jubilee in February 2004.
The college provides facilities for hockey, cricket, football, badminton, table tennis, basketball, athletics, boxing and chess. Kirori Mal College has a spectacular history in sports. It holds the record for having won five first positions in a single year (including three major games) in Delhi University Inter-College tournaments, and of once having been awarded the coveted Vice-Chancellor’s Trophy for being the best All Round College. Year after year, we have provided outstanding players to Delhi University, Delhi State and the junior India teams in several games. The college provides facilities for Hockey, Cricket, Football, Badminton, Table Tennis, Basketball, Athletics, Boxing and Chess. Students wishing to participate in any of these sports/games should enlist with Dr. Pramod C. Sharma, Teacher-in Charge, Department of Physical Education, at the beginning of the academic session. This year the department is ready with a sports ground of standard developed by the Commonwealth Games 2010 Organising Committee with a complete Facility Block, which will be a great boon to all sports students. This will include a standard arena for indoor activities such as Chess, Table Tennis, etc.goo sports facilities provided.
Kirori Mal College has activities in drama, debate, music, fine arts, photography, dance and film. Notable among them is "Players", the college drama society. Its members receive training in theatre arts. It generally puts up four productions. The KMC Dramatics Society flourished under teacher Frank Thakurdas and was revived in 1981 by the present head Keval Arora.
The hostel is an integral part of the college family. Its 89 rooms house about I70 students both from India and abroad. It has an intercom facility. Hostel seats are allocated to various classes/courses, and admission is made on the basis of merit.
The N.S. Pradhan Memorial Library is one of the most extensive libraries that Delhi University has to offer. It caters not only to the college’s requirements but also stocks leisure books and books of general awareness especially in the industrial sector. It is fully computerised, houses about 1.5 lakh books and has the capacity to accommodate about 350 students.
The college auditorium has a history of its own. The auditorium was established as the part of the main building in 1954. It has provided a launching pad for eminent names in theatre and cinema such as Amitabh Bachchan, Kulbhushan Kharbanda, Satish Kaushik, Ravi Baswani, among others. New names are added to the list every passing year. Today this auditorium is no longer in use as it has burned.
The College has a "spacious" canteen. it can accommodate up to 200 users at a time. Kirorians now like to describe it as cafe rather than canteen because of its new renovation in 2016 by the efforts of then president 'Sachin Saipawar' under the supervision of great 'Sharma Ji'.
Kirori Mal College’s fest, Renaissance, is known for being one of the best in North Campus.While the annual college fest is the high-profile affair, the annual fests for the dramatics and music societies are also crowd pullers. The college auditorium having seen grander days, the dramatics society, The Players, holds its stage play public performance outside the college, where both students and non-students from all over the city throng to watch the society’s annual stage productions. The Players also has an active street play wing and it has its own non-competitive fest, ‘Sar-e-Aam’ inside the college. The annual fest of Musoc, ‘Surmanjari’, is also famous for its display of creativity and talent. KMC is also the only college to have an annual fest for its gender forum, Parivartan, called ‘Nazariya’ which was graced by a performance by the contemporary theatre artist, Maya Rao this year.
Kirori Mal College has a large alumni base. Notable members include:-
Actors, directors and singersEdit
- Amitabh Bacchan - Actor
- KK - Playback Singer
- Ravi Baswani - film actor
- Shakti Kapoor - actor
- Satish Kaushik - Indian film director, producer and actor
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda - actor
- Siddharth Narayan - actor
- Prashant Narayanan - actor
- Sanam Puri - Singer
- Vijay Raaz - film actor
- Divyendu Sharma - actor
- Sushant Singh - film and television actor
- Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub - actor
- Ali Abbas Zafar - director
- Vijay Krishna Acharya - screenwriter and director
- Kabir Khan - director
- Anant Sharma
- Madanlal Khurana - former Chief Minister of Delhi
- Rangarajan Kumaramangalam -politician
- Naveen Patnaik -Indian politician, Chief Minister of Odisha, India and the chief of Biju Janata Dal, a regional political party in Odisha. He is a writer and has published three books
- G.P. Koirala - Prime Minister of Nepal
- Pravesh Verma, Delhi politician
- Padmavathy Bandopadhyay - first woman Air Marshal of Indian Air Force
- Habib Faisal - Hindi screenwriter and director
- Gaurav Bidhuri - boxer who won medal at World Championship
- M.S. Kohli - Indian mountaineer
- Massoud Khalili
- M. S. Krishnan -Chair of Business Information Technology at the University of Michigan's Ross School of Business
- Abhay Kumar - poet, artist and diplomat
- Krishna Kumar Kunnath, playback singer popularly known as KK
- Sanjivan Lal - film maker
- Sargun Mehta - television actress
- Harbans Mukhia - Indian historian
- Saeed Naqvi - journalist
- Parikrama - band
- Raghuvendra Singh Rathore
- Rajshekhar -Indian lyricist
- Himanshu Sharma - Bollywood screenwriter
- Mrityunjay Kumar Singh
- Sanam Puri - singer
- Dinesh Thakur - theatre director
- Mirza Waheed - Writer
- "Kirori Mal College, University Of Delhi Powered By : Redox Technologies Pvt. Ltd". Kmcollege.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- [dead link]
- "Certificate of accreditation" (PDF). Kmcollege.ac.in. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Kirori Mal College - University of Delhi". Du.ac.in. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Top Delhi University (DU) Colleges 2014". indiaranker.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Theatre enthusiasts flock to Kirori Mal". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 7 July 2012.
- Ghosh, Abantika (Jun 22, 2006). "All the world's a stage at DU". The Times of India.