Dr. Sarup Singh (also Swaroop Singh) (9 January 1917 – 4 August 2003) was an Indian academic turned politician. He remained a faculty member at Kirori Mal College, Delhi, and later became the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Delhi (1971–74). He was member of the Rajya Sabha from Haryana (1978-1984) of Lok Dal party. He was later appointed Governor of Gujarat in December 1990 and held the position till 1995, and earlier he was the Governor of Kerala.
Early life and educationEdit
Born in Sanghi Village, Rohtak district in Haryana, Singh studied till Class IV in his native village and completed his matriculation from Punjab University in 1934 and Intermediate Arts from Delhi University in 1936. He also did his B.A. (Hons.) in English from Ramjas College, Delhi (1938), followed by a M.A. in English in 1940.
Singh started his career as a lecturer at Hindu College, University of Delhi in 1940, where he taught for over a decade, when in 1951 joined University College, London, and received his Ph.D. in English Literature in 1953. Thereafter he rejoined Hindu College. However the following year, he was appointed Vice-Principal of Kirori Mal College, Delhi and later its Principal in 1957.
In 1961, when the Department of English was established at the University of Kurukshetra, he became its first Head. Then in 1965, he became Professor and Head of the Department of English in the University of Delhi. Eventually, he was appointed Vice-Chancellor of the University in January, 1971.
He also remained member of Union Public Service Commission (1975-1978), and a became a member of Rajya Sabha from Haryana (1978 - 1984).
After his death, 'Dr Sarup Singh Chair' was created at the Kurukshetra University, Haryana, while its Department of English also organized "Dr. Sarup Singh Lectures" on his birth anniversary, while the Chair organizes seminars of Shakespeare in collaboration with Shakespeare Society of India starting 2006. The first "Dr. Sarup Singh Memorial Lecture" was held at University of Delhi in 2005.
- The Theory of Drama in the Restoration Period. Orient Longmans, Calcutta, 1963.
- Family Relationships in Shakespeare and the Restoration Comedy of Manners. Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 1983.
- The Double Standards in Shakespeare and Related Essays : Changing Status of Women in 16th and 17th Century England. Konark Publications, New Delhi, 1988.
- "Former Vice-Chancellors of University of Delhi" (PDF). University of Delhi website. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 March 2012.
- Former Rajya Sabha members, alphabetically
- KERALA LEGISLATURE - GOVERNORS Legislative Assembly of Kerala website.
- Dr. Sarup Singh Governor of Gujarat Profile Governor of Gujarat Official website.
- "Pride of Haryana". The Tribune. 29 April 2007.
- "Department Of English, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra: Department Profile" (PDF). Kurukshetra University.
- "Previous Governors". Raj Bhavan (Kerala) website.
- "Bidding farewell to a dear old friend". 6 August 2003.
- "Kurukshetra: Seminar on Shakespeare". The Tribune. 15 February 2010.
- "An extraordinary teacher remembered". The Hindu. 13 January 2005.