This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kurukshetra University is a university established on 11 January 1957 in Kurukshetra in the Indian state of Haryana, 160 kilometres (99 mi) from the capital, Delhi. It is a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities. The university was the idea of the then Punjab governor, Sir Chandeshwar Prasad Narayan Singh, a Sanskrit scholar. The Department of Sanskrit was the first and the only department in the university when it was inaugurated by Bharat Ratna Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first President of the Indian Republic. Its campus is spread over 473 acres (1.91 km2).
|Motto||yogastha kuru karmāṇi|
|Type||Education and Research|
|Chancellor||Governor of Haryana|
|Vice-Chancellor||Kailash Chandra Sharma|
The Department of Electronic Science in 2011, was awarded a ₹2.96 crore (US$430,000) project on nanoscience by Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India. In 2012, the Department of philosophy introduced academic course on Gita.
The Department of Geophysics has also received the aid of about 3 crore from DST. This department is running a three-year M.Tech. Applied Geophysics course since 1985 which is affiliated by AICTE and UGC. The students from this department have been placed to well known oil companies such as ONGC, Oil India, Schlumberger, Cairn, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd to name a few and other MNCs as well along with being working with the best R & D labs in the field in our country.
The university follows a weighted average pattern to calculate grades, with the 1st and 2nd semester contributing 20% to the aggregate marks and each further semester, up to the 8th, contributing 10%.
|University and College rankings|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2018)||101-150|
|NIRF (Universities) (2018)||80|
|Law – India|
|India Today (2017)||15|
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra has a number of achievements in sports. Recently Boxing Team of Kurukshetra University won All India Inter-University Boxing Championship among more than 100 Universities from all over India. All India Inter-University Boxing Championship was held at LPU, Jalandhar. where Boxers from KUK won 3 Gold and 3 Bronze Medals under the extreme guidance of their boxing coach Rajesh Kumar Rajound and gain 37 points, which are enough to claim the title. In kurukshetra university students come from all over the India and participate in different games.
Colleges and schoolsEdit
The university has these colleges, schools and institutes:
- University Senior Secondary Model School
- Institute of Integrated and Honours Studies (Formerly University College)
- University College of Education
- Institute of Environmental studies
- Department of Law
- Department of Geophysics
Centre of excellenceEdit
- Centre of excellence for research on Saraswati river:
Geoscientific research on palaeochannels & drainage basin
- Centre for advance research in earthquake studies:
Seismic hazard map and 24x7 seismic monitoring of Haryana
- Centre for applied biology in environment sciences:
Research on climate change and pollution
- Centre for information technology and automation:
Research on big data and business analytics
- Centre for advanced material research:
Ion beam centre to research on functional molecules, optical materials and nanostructures
The university has 457 affiliated colleges and institutes. Notable examples include:
- Global Research Institute of Management and Technology, Radaur, Yamuna Nagar
- Haryana Engineering College, Yamunanagar, Haryana
- E-Max School of Engineering and Applied Research
- Government Engineering College, Nilokheri
- Jind Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Shri Krishan Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Maharishi Vedvyas Engineering College, Jagadhari
- [http://www.kuk.ac.in/information.php? #choor university
m=Yg==&L01_id=Mw==&L01_direction=H&L02_id=MzQ= "Statutory Officers"] Check
|url=value (help). www.kuk.ac.in. Kurukshetra University. Retrieved 5 August 2017. line feed character in
|url=at position 57 (help)
- "About us". Kurukshetra University. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Kurukshetra University declares results". The Times of India. 19 April 2014. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- Kurukshetra University Info Archived 1 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine Association of Commonwealth Universities.
- Yoginder Gupta (12 January 2007). "Critical thinkers must for growth: Datta". The Tribune. Retrieved 8 November 2008.
- "A rating PU tops region in NAAC grading". The Times of India. 4 February 2009. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Kurukshetra University bags project to boost Nanoscience". The Times of India. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "India's Best Colleges 2017: Law". India Today. 2017. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Punjab News Live, Headlines, Channel Live, Online, Live - Sikh News AIU's All India Inter University Women Boxing Championship 2014-15 concluded - City Air News". cityairnews.com.
- "Kurukshetra women win Varsities Boxing Trophy". punjabnewsexpress.com. Archived from the original on 13 April 2015. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- "Kurukshetra University :: Kurukshetra". www.kuk.ac.in. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- phttps://www.tribuneindia.com/news/haryana/ku-to-get-rs-100-cr-from-centre/690509.html KU Gets 100 crore for CoE], The Tribune, 2018.