Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra (KUK) is a university established on 11 January 1956 in Kurukshetra, in the Indian state of Haryana, 160 kilometres (99 mi) from the capital, Delhi. It is a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities.
|Motto||yogastha kuru karmāṇi|
|Type||Education and Research|
|Chancellor||Governor of Haryana|
The university was in 1956 as a unitary residential University. The Department of Sanskrit was the first and the only department in the university when it was inaugurated by Bharat Ratna Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first President of the Indian Republic. The idea of establishing university was conceived by then governor of Punjab, Chandeshwar Prasad Narayan Singh, a Sanskrit scholar.
The university follows a weighted average pattern to calculate grades, with the 1st and 2nd semester contributing 20% to the aggregate marks and each further semester, up to the 8th, contributing 10%.
|University and College rankings|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2020)||150-200|
|NIRF (Universities) (2020)||99|
Centre of excellence (CoE)Edit
- Centre of excellence for research on Saraswati river:
Geoscientific research on palaeochannels & drainage basin
- Centre for advance research in earthquake studies:
Seismic hazard map and 24x7 seismic monitoring of Haryana
- Centre for advanced material research:
Ion beam centre to research on functional molecules, optical materials and nanostructures
Colleges and schoolsEdit
The university has these colleges, schools and institutes:
- University Senior Secondary Model School
- Institute of Integrated and Honours Studies (Formerly University College)
- University College of Education
- Institute of Environmental studies
- Department of Law
- Department of Geophysics
- University School of Management
- University Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Institute of Management Studies
- Institute of Mass Communication & Media Technology
The university has 457 affiliated colleges and institutes. Notable examples include:
- E-Max School of Engineering and Applied Research
- Government Engineering College, Nilokheri
- Jind Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Karnal Institute of Technology and Management, Karnal
- Shri Krishan Institute Of Engineering & Technology
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra has a number of achievements in sports. In 2015 the Boxing Team of Kurukshetra University won the All India Inter-University Boxing Championship among more than 100 Universities from all over India. All India Inter-University Boxing Championship was held at LPU, Jalandhar. Boxers from KUK won 3 Gold and 3 Bronze Medals under their boxing coach Rajesh Kumar Rajound. The University has been awarded Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy, representing the highest award given for inter-university sports and university sportsperson performance in international and national arena by the Government of India, in the year 1966–1967.
- "Statutory Officers". www.kuk.ac.in. Kurukshetra University. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "About us". Kurukshetra University. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Kurukshetra University declares results". The Times of India. 19 April 2014. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- Kurukshetra University Info Archived 1 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine Association of Commonwealth Universities.
- "A rating PU tops region in NAAC grading". The Times of India. 4 February 2009. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- Yoginder Gupta (12 January 2007). "Critical thinkers must for growth: Datta". The Tribune. Retrieved 8 November 2008.
- Kurukshetra University introduces course on Gita, Hindustan Times, 29 Aug 2012.
- About KUK, KUK, accessed 22 Aug 2021.
- NIRF ranking, KUK, accessed 22 aug 2021.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- p KU Gets 100 crore for CoE, The Tribune, 2018.
- "Kurukshetra University :: Kurukshetra". www.kuk.ac.in. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- "Kurukshetra University bags project to boost Nanoscience". The Times of India. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Punjab News Live, Headlines, Channel Live, Online, Live - Sikh News AIU's All India Inter University Women Boxing Championship 2014-15 concluded - City Air News". cityairnews.com.
- "Kurukshetra women win Varsities Boxing Trophy". punjabnewsexpress.com. Archived from the original on 13 April 2015. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- "List of winners of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy (1956-2018)" (PDF). Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (India). Retrieved 8 October 2020.