Kohinoor (2015 film)
Kohinoor is a 2015 Indian Malayalam-language heist comedy film, set in the late 1980s. The film is directed by Vinay Govind and features Asif Ali and Indrajith Sukumaran in the lead role along with an ensemble cast of Aju Varghese, Chemban Vinod Jose, Vinay Forrt, Aparna Vinod and Shraddha Srinath. It was produced by Asif Ali in his debut film production which was co-produced by Sajin Jaffer and Brijeesh Muhammed under the banner Adam's World of Imagination. Rahul Raj composed the original music. It became a critical and commercial success.
|Directed by||Vinay Govind|
|Written by||Ranjeet Kamala Shankar|
|Produced by||Asif Ali|
Chemban Vinod Jose
|Cinematography||Pradheesh M. Varma|
|Edited by||Arju Ben|
|Music by||Rahul Raj|
|Distributed by||Time Ads|
The story is set in 1988. Haider (Indrajith) who worked for Mumbai underworld develops a plan to steal diamonds from a racket based in Kohinoor textile store in Cherupuzha run by Mamman (Sudheer Karamana) and Xavier (Riza Bava). He hires Nicholas (Chemban Vinod) and Freddy (Vinay Forrt) from Kochi for the theft. They in turn make sub-contract to a small-time thief Aandikunju (Aju Varghese), who gets his friend Louis (Asif Ali) involved to steal for the group. Louis as a 1980s characterized youth has admiration for the underworld dons and is highly fascinated by Mammootty's character Tharadas from the popular film Athirathram and Mohanlal's character Sagar Alias Jacky from the popular film Irupatham Noottandu, and wants to be a successful smuggler like them. The team runs into many obstacles during the thievery. In the end both Haider's team (Haider, Nicholas, Freddy and Nancy) and Louis' team (Louis and Andrew) takes a share of the diamonds, while risking life and a show of confidence.
- Asif Ali as Louis
- Indrajith Sukumaran as Haider
- Aju Varghese as Andrew/Aandikkunju/Aandi
- Vinay Forrt as Freddy
- Chemban Vinod Jose as Nicholas
- Shraddha Srinath as Nancy
- Aditi Ravi as Freddy's Lover
- Aparna Vinod as Daisy
- Sudheer Karamana as Maman
- Riza Bava as Xavier
- Mamukkoya as Aaliyakka
- Guru Somasundaram as Naikkar
- Pradeep Kottayam as Lilly's father(cameo appearance)
- Bhavana as Lilly (Cameo appearance)
- Saiju Kurup as DYSP Mohan Raghavan (Cameo appearance)
- Harikrishnan as Charlie (Cameo appearance)
- Nebish Benson
Malayala Manorama rated 2.75 out of 5 stars and concluded "Kohinoor is a fun-filled thriller and has all the elements of an entertainer, with a pinch of romance, friendship and wicked twists" and gave special mention to cinematography and lead performances especially for Indrajith's screen presence and dialogue delivery. Filmibeat.com rated 2.5 out of 5 stars and described as "A well-packed entertainer with the right elements of humour, thrill and nostalgia", giving special mention to Indrajith's performance, also cinematography, editing, art and costumes which helps to create the ambience of the 80s. Indiaglitz rated 3 out of 5 stars and wrote "It has a liner narration and what would stead the movie in good stead is the comic touch throughout. 'Kohinoor' has been able to make it till the far end and not flatter halfway".
The Hindu stated "The proceedings before interval, which focusses on the planning of the heist, are marked by aimlessness. Things pick up post-interval especially in the long sequence set inside the textile shop. The quick twists and turns come together in the end to make an average heist movie in the end".
|Film score by|
|Released||September 10, 2015|
|Studio||Sound Factory, Cochin|
|Rahul Raj chronology|
All songs are composed, arranged and produced by Rahul Raj. The lyrics were written by B. K. Harinarayanan. Muzik 247 was the music label. The audio launch event was held in Kochi on 8 September. Apart from the cast and crew, film personalities such as Mammootty, Sibi Malayil, Kunchacko Boban etc. were also present. Mammooty and Sibi Malayil together launched the audio by unveiling the CD. The songs were streamed live on Muzik247's YouTube channel at the event. The official launch of the production house Adams World of Imagination was held coinciding with the audio launch function. It was launched by Mammootty.
The melody Hemanthamen which was released on 5 August, received overwhelming response from critics and public alike. It garnered more than 100000 views within three days of release in YouTube and as of December 6, 2016, the song has reached to 3 million views. Actor Dulquer Salmaan officially released and shared the YouTube link of the song "Dum Dum Dum" on Facebook.
|2||"Dum Dum Dum"||Vineeth Sreenivasan||4:0|
- Sachin Jose (24 September 2015). "'Kohinoor' movie review by audience: Live updates on Asif Ali film". International Business Times. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- Litty Simon (25 September 2015). "'Kohinoor': Stirring up a toofan". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- Akhila Menon (24 September 2015). "Kohinoor Movie Review: A Complete Package Of Humour, Thrill And Nostalgia!". Filmibeat.com.
- "Kohinoor Movie Review - A hearty thoofan". Indiaglitz.com. 25 September 2015.
- S.R. PRAVEEN (27 September 2015). "Heist plot heaped with nostalgia". The Hindu. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Songs of Asif Ali starrer 'Kohinoor' released". Kerala Kaumudi. 14 September 2015. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- Express Features (10 September 2015). "Kohinoor Sparkles". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- സ്വന്തം ലേഖകൻ (7 September 2015). "തനി നാടൻ 'മണവുമായി' ഹേമന്തമെൻ..." Malayala Manorama.
- Anu James (19 September 2015). "Dulquer Salmaan Releases Asif Ali-Bhavana's 'Dum Dum Dum' Song from 'Kohinoor' [VIDEO]". International Business Times. Retrieved 29 October 2015.