This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ahn Chil-hyun (born October 10, 1979), known professionally as Kangta (stylized as KangTa or sometimes in all caps), is a South Korean singer, composer, songwriter, record producer, actor and radio personality. He is well known as a member of South Korean boygroup H.O.T..
Kangta in 2018
October 10, 1979
Yecheon, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||An Chil-hyeon|
Kangta was discovered at Lotte World, a theme park, when he was only 13 years old. He debuted as a back-up dancer together with future band member Moon Hee Jun for singer Yoo Young-jin. Kangta eventually decided to become a singer with Moon Hee Jun and three others, Jang Woo Hyuk, Tony An, and Lee Jae Won to form H.O.T. in 1996. The group disbanded in 2001, after the group contract expired and they decided not to renew it.
2001–03: Solo debutEdit
Soon after H.O.T. disbanded in March 2001, Kangta made his solo debut after renewing his contract with S.M. Entertainment. He released his first solo album "Polaris", which became a huge hit; it was followed by his second album "Pinetree" in 2002. His first solo concert took place in the summer of 2003.
2004–08: Acting roles and military serviceEdit
Kangta received several offers and has accepted a drama offer in China. In 2004, he starred in a drama called Magic Touch of Fate together with Taiwanese actors and actresses, Ruby Lin and Alec Su. Kangta portrayed the role of the evil magician Jin-Xiu
Soon afterwards, Kangta returned to Korea and released his much-awaited third album. In 2005, Kangta released "Persona", which included tracks that were very different from his previous two albums. The main single of the album, "Persona" had a similar melody to Babyface's "The Loneliness". Kangta surprised his fans when he said he wanted to become an actor. A month later, he starred in a KBS drama, Loveholic.
In 2006, Kangta was chosen as a runner up for Best Korean Singer overseas, according to Arirang International Broadcasting. A poll was issued over the internet, allowing only people outside of Korea to vote. Shinhwa's song "Once In A Lifetime" won by 60% of the vote, beating Kangta, who came in second with 20.3 percent.
Kangta also acted in his second Chinese drama, Love In The City 2. In Love In The City 2 Kangta portrayed the life of a successful CEO with a dull life. In March Kangta was announced to be starring in JTBC's 2012 drama Happy Ending as Kim So Eun's love interest.
In 2007, he filmed two dramas and Love in the city 2 aired on October 1, 2007. In January 2007, Kangta took part in the Hallyu Festival in Osaka which also featured Jun Jin and Lee Min-woo of Shinhwa, SG Wannabe and actor Song Seung-heon at the Osaka Dome.
Kangta enlisted for mandatory military service in April 2008 for 21 months of active duty. During which time he starred in military musical, Mine with rapper Yang Dong-geun. It is about the true life story of Lieutenant Lee Jong-myung, who lost his legs in a land mine explosion near the demilitarized zone, in June 2000, when he saved fellow soldier, Sul Dong-seob from the minefield.
2010: Chinese debutEdit
After two years and five months of hiatus from the entertainment industry due to Korean military service, Kangta released his first Chinese extended play, Breaka Shaka. The lead single was released on September 13 and the EP was released on September 14. The EP marked Kangta's entrance to the Chinese market.
2016: 'Home' Chapter 1Edit
In October 2016, S.M. Entertainment announced that Kangta will be held concert for celebrate his 20th debut anniversary titled Coming Home, as a part of SM Entertainment's concert series The Agit. The concert will be held from November 4 till November 6 at SMTown Theatre. On October 11, S.M. Entertainment confirmed that Kangta currently preparing his new album. On the same day, it was confirmed that Kangta would appear on JTBC's A Hyung I Know and would be aired on October 29. Kangta released his first Korean extended plays 'Home' Chapter 1 on November 3. The album contains five tracks, with the lead single titled "Diner".
On February 4, 2020, it was confirmed that Kangta is in a relationship with actress Jeong Yu-mi.
After planning for years, Kangta worked with his celebrity friends Shin Hye Sung from Shinhwa and Lee Ji Hoon to form the project group "S", standing for "Supreme". They released their first solo project album called "Fr. In. Cl." or Friends in Classic (2003). They have won several awards since then. Their title track, "I Swear" was written, composed, and arranged by Kangta while Shin Hye Sung wrote the English lyrics.
On 14 October 2014, it was announced that group 'S' would be making a comeback after over a decade with a new mini-album titled Autumn Breeze, scheduled to be released on October 27. SM Entertainment stated that "Kangta wrote and produced all the songs on the upcoming album. Kangta’s unique music style and the trio’s harmonious voices will create beautiful ballads that will satisfy the fans". On October 18, the group performed their new song Without You (하고 싶은 거 다) at SM Entertainment's agency-wide concert SM Town in Shanghai.The music video for the song Without You was released on October 24, starring Yuri of Girls' Generation. The group is slated to be on Korean singing program Immortal Songs 2 on November 3 as part of their promotions.
Kangta & VannessEdit
Early 2006, Kangta collaborated with Vanness Wu of F4 from Taiwan, and formed Kangta & Vanness. Their debut was in Thailand ending the ceremony for the 2006 MTV Asia Awards. They released their single "Scandal" and have been busy promoting their single all over Asia. "Scandal" was a success over Asia and a repackaged version was released in mid-July. On September 12, they held a showcase in Malaysia, Berjaya Times Square.
On Arirang TV's talk-show "Heart to Heart", Kangta announced that he would be entering the Army in early 2008, so activities have been put on hold.
- That Winter, the Wind Blows OST -Released in 2013
- Autumn Breeze by S - Released on 27 October 2014
- Rewind by Zhoumi - Released on 31 October 2014
Songwriting and composing creditsEdit
|"In Your Eyes"||Yes||—||No||—|
|"Last Summer Night"||Yes||—||Yes||—|
|"2032 in Cuba"||Yes||윤효상||No||—|
|"One Snowing Day"||Yes||—||Yes||송광식|
|"Just One Day"||Yes||—||Yes||—|
Tour and ConcertEdit
- Kangta 1st Concert : Pinetree (2002)
- The Agit: Coming Home (2016)
|2002||Emergency Act 19||Himself|
|Resurrection of the Little Match Girl||Special Guest Star|
|2012||I AM.||Himself||Documentary of SMTown in New York|
|Secret Garden||Oscar||Chinese-language remake of the 2010 South Korean drama.|
|2015||SMTown The Stage||Himself||Documentary film of SM Town |
|2016||Mad Monk Ji Gong||TBA|
|2005||CCTV||Magic Touch of Fate||Jin Xiu (金修)||Main role|
|KBS||Loveholic||Seo Kang Wook||Lead role|
|2007||CCTV||Love In The City 2||Zhang Wei Qi||Lead role|
|2011||Pepper and Kimchi (辣椒与泡菜)|
|BTV||Di Jin (帝锦)|
|2012||JTBC||Happy Ending||Goo Seung Jae||Supporting role|
|2016||TBA||Circle of Friends|
|2012||The Voice of Korea||Mnet||Judges|
|2013||The Voice of Korea Season 2||Mnet|
|2019–present||Super Hearer||tvN||Hearer||Ep 1–present|
|2011||KBS 2FM 'Freedom Declaration'||DJ||Solo DJ|
|2016–2018||MBC Starry Night||Solo DJ|
|2001||Best Male Artist||"Polaris"||Won|
|Best Ballad Performance||Nominated|
|2002||Best Male Artist||"Memories"||Nominated|
|Best Ballad Performance||Nominated|
|2005||Best R&B Performance||"Persona"||Nominated|
|Overseas Viewers' Award||"Mask"||Won|
- "페이지를 찾을 수 없습니다". Archived from the original on 6 April 2008. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "김소은, 드라마 '해피엔딩'서 최민수 딸로 활약 '기대' :: THE STAR". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- Lee Yong-sung "Osaka concert features Korean Wave stars" Korea Herald. 25 January 2007. Retrieved 2012-04-10
- Lee, Eun-joo (2 October 2008). "Military musical mines true story of loyalty and sacrifice". Joongang Daily. Archived from the original on 11 January 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "KANGTA_愛, 頻率_Music Video". YouTube. 10 September 2010. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- Hong, Young-joon (March 25, 2018). "[TV컷Q]'집사부일체' 보아 "강타 김민종 등 SM 이사마다 역할 다르다" 하는 일은?" [In "Master in the House", BoA says, "Each SM Director Has Different Roles"]. SportsQ (in Korean). Retrieved June 20, 2019.
- "Kangta to hold a solo concert for the first time in 8 years! - allkpop.com". allkpop.com. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Aspera, A. (11 October 2016). "Kangta To Return With Brand New Album". soompi.com. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "SM announces Kangta's comeback after 8 years - allkpop.com". allkpop.com. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Kangta and Davichi to appear on a variety show together! - allkpop.com". allkpop.com. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "페이지를 찾을 수 없습니다". Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- (in Korean) 'SM타운' 공연실황 다큐, 8월13일 국내개봉 확정
- Hong, Lucia (5 April 2012). "Kangta confirms role in jTBC's upcoming TV series". 10 Asia. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "'슈퍼히어러' 빌런으로는 김구라 박준형 붐 엄현경..." 인천일보 (in Korean). 2019-06-19. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "2001 M.net Korean Music Festival Winners list" Archived 2014-06-13 at Archive.today. MAMA. Retrieved 2014-06-12.
- "2001 MMF part 1". MAMA. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "2002 MMF part 1" Archived 2014-08-19 at the Wayback Machine. Mwave. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- "2005 MKMF part 1" Archived 2016-02-01 at the Wayback Machine. Mwave. Retrieved 2014-08-28.
- "2005 M.net Korean Music Festival Winners list". MAMA. Retrieved 2014-06-12.