Kamenický Šenov (German: Steinschönau) is a town in Česká Lípa District in the Liberec Region of the Czech Republic. It has about 3,900 inhabitants. The town centre is well preserved and is protected by law as an urban monument zone.
|• Mayor||Michal Třešňák|
|• Total||10.47 km2 (4.04 sq mi)|
|Elevation||525 m (1,722 ft)|
|• Density||370/km2 (970/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The village of Prácheň is an administrative part of Kamenický Šenov.
The first written mention of Kamenický Šenov is from 1352, as a village called Sonov founded by immigrant Sorbs. The village belonged to the Česká Kamenice manor, therefore it began to be called Kamenický Šenov.
In the 17th century, the local glassmakers are first mentioned, and during the 17th and 18th centuries there was a massive boom in glass refining and in glass trade. The glass industry significantly contributed to the rapid growth of Kamenický Šenov and the inhabitants began to get rich.
The Secondary Glassmaking School in Kamenický Šenov was founded in 1856 and is the oldest vocational school of its kind in the world.
The history of glass making in the town is presented in Glass Museum Kamenický Šenov. It is located in a historic building, built around 1770.
The main landmark of the town centre is the Church of the Birth of Saint John the Baptist. It is a baroque building from 1715–1718.
Twin towns – sister citiesEdit
- Rheinbach, Germany
- "Population of Municipalities – 1 January 2021". Czech Statistical Office. 2021-04-30.
- "Historie města" (in Czech). Město Kamenický Šenov. Retrieved 2021-07-30.
- Die postalischen Abstempelungen auf den österreichischen Postwertzeichen-Ausgaben 1867, 1883 und 1890, Wilhelm Klein, 1967
- "Contact". Preciosa – Lustry a.s. Retrieved 2021-07-30.
- "The 150th anniversary of the Glassmaking School in Kamenicky Senov". Czech Radio. 2006-06-16. Retrieved 2021-07-30.
- "Budova" (in Czech). Glass Museum. Retrieved 2021-07-30.
- "Kostel Narození sv. Jana Křtitele, Kamenický Šenov" (in Czech). Liberec Region. Retrieved 2021-07-30.
- "Panská skála National Nature Monument". Ministry of the Environment of the Czech Republic. Retrieved 2021-07-30.
- "Partnerské město" (in Czech). Město Kamenický Šenov. Retrieved 2021-07-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kamenický Šenov.|