Justin Jacob Long (born June 2, 1978) is an American actor, comedian, screenwriter, and director known for roles in such films as He's Just Not That Into You (2009), Jeepers Creepers (2001), Dodgeball (2004), Accepted (2006), Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007), Live Free or Die Hard (2007), Drag Me to Hell (2009), Alpha and Omega (2010), Tusk (2014), Comet (2014) and The Lookalike (2014). He also appeared in the films Galaxy Quest (1999), Zack and Miri Make a Porno (2008) and Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (2019). He played Warren P. Cheswick on the NBC TV series Ed and appeared with John Hodgman in TV commercials for Apple's "Get a Mac". He hosted the Disney+ original series Shop Class.
Long at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival
Justin Jacob Long
June 2, 1978
Fairfield, Connecticut, U.S.
|Alma mater||Vassar College|
|Occupation||Actor, comedian, humorist, director, screenwriter|
Long was born the middle son of three boys in Fairfield, Connecticut, to father R. James Long, a philosophy and Latin professor at Fairfield University, and mother Wendy Lesniak, a former actress who has mostly appeared on stage. His paternal grandmother was of Italian descent. Long had a "kind of conservative" Roman Catholic upbringing. His older brother, Damian, is a local stage actor, teacher, and theater director at Weston High School. Long attended Fairfield College Preparatory School, a Jesuit school, and Vassar College, where he was a member of the sketch comedy group Laughingstock and starred in several plays, including Butterflies Are Free.
Long's film credits include Idiocracy, Waiting..., Jeepers Creepers, DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story, The Break-Up, Crossroads, Galaxy Quest, Dreamland and Live Free or Die Hard. He was also a regular on the NBC TV series Ed (2000–04), playing socially awkward Warren P. Cheswick. He was offered the opportunity to replace Steve Burns on Blue's Clues after he left the show, but ultimately declined. He was the voice of the character Alvin in Alvin and the Chipmunks, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip. He also played the main character in the comedy film Accepted (2006).
Long made a guest appearance in the documentary, Wild West Comedy Show (2006). In 2007, he co-starred with Bruce Willis as a "white-hat hacker" in Live Free or Die Hard and had a role in the comedy The Sasquatch Gang. Long is known for his depiction of a Mac in Apple's "Get a Mac" campaign. The campaign featured commercials in which Long as a Mac and John Hodgman as a PC engaged in playful banter about "the strengths of the Mac platform and weaknesses of the PC platform."
Long also had a small role in the comedy film Zack and Miri Make a Porno (2008), where he plays Brandon St. Randy, a gay porn star. In 2009, he starred in He's Just Not That into You along with co-star Ginnifer Goodwin and After.Life opposite Liam Neeson and Christina Ricci. He also provided the voice of Humphrey in Alpha and Omega (2010), starring with Hayden Panettiere. Also in 2010, Long starred in the comedy film Going the Distance with Drew Barrymore. He was cast as a one-armed Civil War veteran in Robert Redford's The Conspirator.
Long read the audiobook version of Judy Blume's Then Again, Maybe I Won't and Stephen King's Everything's Eventual. From July 7–18, 2010, he appeared in a production of Samuel J. and K. at the Williamstown Theatre Festival. On August 16, 2010, he co-hosted WWE Raw with Going the Distance co-stars Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. In 2014 he starred in the independent love drama Comet, which he and his co-star Emmy Rossum also produced. He also was in a few skits on the show ‘Inside Amy Schumer’. In April 2019, Long started the podcast, Life Is Short with Justin Long, with its introductory episode airing through Wondery on April 29, 2019. His first guest was actor Dax Shepard.
On June 24, 2019 Long, along with an ensemble cast, presented The Investigation: A Search for the Truth in Ten Acts, a dramatic reading of Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III's Report on the Investigation into Russian Interference in the 2016 Presidential Election. Long portrayed former Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation James Comey. In 2020, he appeared in reality television series Celebrity Watch Party alongside his younger brother Christian Long.
During an episode of the podcast Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard, Long revealed that he was the victim of a drugging and abduction during the filming of Youth In Revolt while in Michigan. According to Long, after an evening of drinking he left with several local individuals who offered him marijuana but, he believes, in fact gave him the drug Phencyclidine, more commonly known as PCP. After getting him severely intoxicated, these individuals took him to various locations against his will and avoided taking him to his hotel as he repeatedly requested. According to Long, the individuals made reference to filming him while high on hard drugs and selling the footage to TMZ or another website dedicated to celebrity gossip. Long was so concerned that he eventually leapt from the moving vehicle in order to escape the ordeal. Long commented that he has faced lingering nerve damage in his leg due to the injuries he sustained in escaping from their car.
Long endorsed Senator Bernie Sanders for President in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. He endorsed Sanders again in the 2020 Democratic primary, has been seen at Sanders rallies, and has appeared on the campaign trail as a surrogate.
|1999||Galaxy Quest||Brandon||Nominated — Saturn Award for Best Performance by a Younger Actor|
|2001||Jeepers Creepers||Darry Jenner||Nominated — Saturn Award for Best Performance by a Younger Actor|
|2003||Jeepers Creepers 2||Darry Jenner||Cameo|
|2004||Raising Genius||Hal Nestor|
|2004||DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story||Justin Redman|
|2004||Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie||Chris Harken||Direct-to-DVD|
|2005||Robin's Big Date||Robin||Short film|
|2005||Herbie: Fully Loaded||Kevin|
|2006||The Sasquatch Gang||Zerk Wilder|
|2006||The Break-Up||Christopher Hirons|
|2006||Accepted||Bartleby "B" Gaines|
|2007||Live Free or Die Hard||Matt Farrell||Nominated — Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2007||Battle for Terra||Senn||Voice|
|2007||Alvin and the Chipmunks||Alvin Seville||Voice|
|2007||Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story||George Harrison||Uncredited|
|2008||Just Add Water||Spoonie|
|2008||Zack and Miri Make a Porno||Brandon St. Randy|
|2008||Pineapple Express||Justin||Deleted scene|
|2009||He's Just Not That Into You||Alex|
|2009||Still Waiting...||Dean||Uncredited|
|2009||Taking Chances||Chase Revere|
|2009||Drag Me to Hell||Clay Dalton|
|2009||Funny People||Re-Do Guy||Cameo|
|2009||Beyond All Boundaries||Corp. James R. Garrett / Sgt. John H. Morris||Voice; Short film|
|2009||Old Dogs||Troop Leader Adam Devlin||Uncredited|
|2009||Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel||Alvin Seville||Voice|
|2010||Youth in Revolt||Paul Saunders|
|2010||Going the Distance||Garrett|
|2010||Alpha and Omega||Humphrey||Voice|
|2011||The Conspirator||Nicholas Baker|
|2011||10 Years||Marty Burn|
|2011||Free Hugs||Checkout Boy||Short film|
|2011||Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked||Alvin Seville||Voice|
|2012||For a Good Time, Call...||Jesse|
|2012||Best Man Down||Scott|
|2013||Movie 43||Robin||Segment: "Super Hero Speed Dating"|
|2013||A Case of You||Sam||Also producer and writer|
|2013||Walking with Dinosaurs||Patchi||Voice|
|2014||Ask Me Anything||Dan Gallo|
|2014||Veronica Mars||Drunken Wingman||Uncredited|
|2014||Comet||Dell||Also executive producer|
|2014||The Lookalike||Holt Mulligan||Also producer|
|2015||Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip||Alvin Seville||Voice|
|2016||Yoga Hosers||Yogi Bayer|
|2016||Frank & Lola||Keith Winkleman|
|2016||Trump Baby||Baby||Voice; Short film|
|2017||And Then I Go||Tim|
|2017||Literally, Right Before Aaron||Adam|
|2019||Jay and Silent Bob Reboot||Brandon St. Randy|||
|TBA||Lady of the Manor||Max||Post-production; Also writer, director, producer|
|2000–04||Ed||Warren P. Cheswick||71 episodes|
|2006||Campus Ladies||Connor||Episode: "Fraternity Row"|
|2006||That '70s Show||Andrew Davis||Episode: "Love of My Life"|
|2006–07||King of the Hill||Various voices||3 episodes|
|2009||Saturday Night Live||Matthew McConaughey||Episode: Drew Barrymore/Regina Spektor|
|2011–12, 2015||New Girl||Paul Genzlinger||5 episodes|
|2012||Unsupervised||Gary (voice)||13 episodes|
|2014||The Michael J. Fox Show||Zack||Episode: "Changes"|
|2014||TripTank||Camera Man / Andrew (voices)||2 episodes|
|2015–present||F Is for Family||Kevin Murphy (voice)||35 episodes|
|2015||Portlandia||Justin||Episode: "The Fiancée"|
|2015||Inside Amy Schumer||Brian||Episode: "Fight Like a Girl"|
|2015–18||Drunk History||Arno Penzias / Elmer McCurdy||2 episodes|
|2016||Dream Team||Marty Schumacher||Pilot|
|2016–2018||Skylanders Academy||Spyro (voice)||Main role|
|2017||Do You Want To See a Dead Body?||Himself||Episode: "A Body and an Actor"|
|2018||The Conners||Neil||2 episodes|
|2019||The Investigation: A Search for the Truth in Ten Acts||Himself, James Comey||live reading/performance|
|2019||Giri/Haji||Ellis Vickers||4 episodes|
- "Justin Long". TVGuide.com. Archived from the original on October 1, 2015. Retrieved September 30, 2015.
- "Justin Long Interview, Die Hard 4 - MoviesOnline". Moviesonline.ca. Archived from the original on 2010-09-06. Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- "Justin Long biography". Buddytv. Archived from the original on 12 November 2014. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- Murray, Rebecca. "Justin Long Talks About The Sasquatch Dumpling Gang and Strange Wilderness". About.com. Archived from the original on 2009-08-18. Retrieved 2010-07-01.
- Topel, Fred (2006-08-14). "Interview: Justin Long". Cinema Blend. Archived from the original on 2009-03-01. Retrieved 2010-03-22.
My family is Roman Catholic and kind of conservative...
- "Justin Long- Biography". TV Guide. Archived from the original on 22 May 2013. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- "A Familiar Face Declined To Replace Steve From 'Blues Clues'". UPROXX. 2019-05-31. Archived from the original on 2019-06-24. Retrieved 2019-06-24.
- Kroll, Justin. "Tony Hale Joins 'Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on March 16, 2015. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- "Mac Computer And Maggie Q For Die Hard 4". Cinemablend.com. 2006-09-22. Archived from the original on 2009-10-28. Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- McNamara, Mary. "Not Strictly Commercial". Los Angeles Times. July 23, 2006.
- Pics and Justin Long for Redford's Conspirator (2009-10-16). "Pics and Justin Long for Redford's Conspirator". News in Film. Archived from the original on 2010-04-15. Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- "''Samuel J. and K'' appearance". Wtfestival.org. Archived from the original on 2014-05-01. Retrieved 2013-07-25.
- "Raw Special Guest Stars - August 16, 2010: The Cast of 'Going the Distance'". Wwe.com. Archived from the original on August 9, 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-25.
- Wondery (2019-05-01). "Wondery: Feel the Story..." Wondery. Archived from the original on 2019-08-11. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
- "Law Works: The Investigation". June 24, 2019. Archived from the original on June 24, 2019. Retrieved June 24, 2019.
- "Justin Long Takes Drew Barrymore Home to Meet the Parents". People. 2007-11-28. Archived from the original on 2016-04-25. Retrieved 2008-09-07.
- "Drew Barrymore and Justin Long end relationship". Fox News.com. 2008-07-08. Archived from the original on 2009-01-22. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- Van Meter, Jonathan (May 18, 2015). "Amanda Seyfried Talks Family, Ted 2, and Finding Love on Instagram". Vogue. Condé Nast. Archived from the original on September 6, 2015. Retrieved Sep 30, 2015.
- "Amanda Seyfried and Justin Long Split after Dating for Two Years: Details". Us Weekly. 29 Sep 2015. Archived from the original on 4 December 2015. Retrieved 11 Dec 2015.
- "Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard". Simplecast. Archived from the original on 2019-12-24. Retrieved 2019-12-24.
- Long, Justin [@justinlong] (27 Jun 2015). "We're on a roll, America! Next stop: classism + overturning #CitizensUnited by supporting @SenSanders. #SummerOfEquality" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- @BernieSanders (November 25, 2019). "Trump lied when he said he'd stand up to corporate greed and help working people. We're going to do what he failed to do: end corporate greed, stop corruption and restore workers' rights. Join us in Portsmouth:" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2020-01-12. Retrieved 2018-05-03.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Mogg, Trevor. "iSteve: Funny or Die to debut Steve Jobs comedy biopic starring Justin Long". Digital Trends. Archived from the original on March 20, 2013. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- Vanity Fair (October 15, 2019). "Kevin Smith Breaks Down Jay and Silent Bob Fan Theories from Reddit". YouTube. Archived from the original on October 30, 2019. Retrieved October 17, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Justin Long.|