Giri/Haji (translated as Duty/Shame in English) is an upcoming British television series that will be broadcast on BBC Two in the UK in 2019, and Netflix internationally. The series will be adapted by screenwriter Joe Barton and will star Takehiro Hira, Kelly MacDonald, Yosuke Kubozuka, Will Sharpe, Masahiro Motoki, Justin Long and Charlie Creed-Miles. The script for the series is written in both Japanese and English.
|Screenplay by||Joe Barton|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Production company(s)||Sister Pictures|
|Original network||BBC Two (UK)|
Giri/Haji was announced in May 2017 amongst a wave of new commissions by BBC Drama controller, Piers Wenger, alongside other programmes including Informer, The War of the Worlds, Black Narcissus, A Suitable Boy, Little Women, A Very English Scandal, Come Home and The Wilsons for BBC One. In August 2018, it was confirmed that Giri/Haji would air on BBC Two.. Wenger described the series as being "unlike anything we've ever seen before on British TV".
- Mitchell, Robert; Mitchell, Robert (21 August 2018). "BBC, Netflix Announce International Cast for 'Giri/Haji' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "BBC - Casting announced as filming begins on new drama thriller Giri/Haji - Media Centre". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- Tartaglione, Nancy; Tartaglione, Nancy (23 July 2018). "Kelly Macdonald To Star In 'Giri/Haji'; BBC One/Netflix Thriller From Sister Pictures". Deadline. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "BBC - Controller of BBC Drama Piers Wenger announces raft of new commissions - Media Centre". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Filming underway on Giri/Haji". The Knowledge. Retrieved 23 December 2018.