Jumanji: The Next Level
Jumanji: The Next Level is an upcoming American fantasy adventure comedy film directed by Jake Kasdan and written by Kasdan, Jeff Pinkner, and Scott Rosenberg. It is a sequel to the 2017 film Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and the fourth installment of the Jumanji franchise. The film stars Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, Karen Gillan, Nick Jonas, Alex Wolff, Morgan Turner, Ser'Darius Blain, and Madison Iseman, reprising their roles from the previous film, alongside newcomers Awkwafina, Danny Glover, and Danny DeVito. It is scheduled to be released on December 13, 2019 by Sony Pictures Releasing under its Columbia Pictures label.
|Jumanji: The Next Level|
|Directed by||Jake Kasdan|
by Chris Van Allsburg
|Music by||Henry Jackman|
|Edited by||Steve Edwards|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Releasing|
Unknown to his friends, Spencer kept the pieces of the Jumanji video game and one day repaired the system in the basement of his grandfather's house. When Spencer's friends Bethany, Fridge, and Martha arrive, they find Spencer missing and the game running and decide to re-enter Jumanji to save him. Spencer's grandfather Eddie and his friend Milo Walker hear the commotion and inadvertently get sucked into the game too before any of Spencer's friends can select their avatars. With a new quest offered to them by Nigel Billingsley, the teenaged friends must help Eddie and Milo get used to their in-game avatars, get them to help find Spencer and Bethany, and escape Jumanji once again and for all.
- Dwayne Johnson as Dr. Smolder Bravestone: Eddie's avatar (who was previously Spencer's); a strong, confident archaeologist, explorer, and the leader of the team. Zachary Tzegaegbe will portray a young Smolder Bravestone.
- Danny DeVito as Eddie Gilpin: Spencer's cranky, but well-meaning grandfather.
- Jack Black as Professor Sheldon "Shelly" Oberon: Fridge's new avatar and later Bethany's again; a cartographer, cryptographer, archaeologist, and paleontologist.
- Ser'Darius Blain as Anthony "Fridge" Johnson: A Brantford High School football jock, who cares more about football than studying. He and Spencer, who were childhood friends, reconciled by the end of the previous film after years of disassociation.
- Madison Iseman as Bethany Walker: A pretty, popular, egocentric, teenage girl at Brantford High School. Her first experience as Sheldon Oberon in Jumanji helped her learn to care more about others.
- Kevin Hart as Franklin "Mouse" Finbar: Milo's avatar (who was previously Fridge's); a diminutive zoologist and weapons specialist.
- Danny Glover as Milo Walker, Eddie's eccentric friend.
- Karen Gillan as Ruby Roundhouse: Martha's avatar; a commando with talents in martial arts.
- Morgan Turner as Martha Kaply: A shy and cynical intellectual at Brantford High School. She and Spencer started a romantic relationship at the end of Welcome to the Jungle.
- Nick Jonas as Jefferson "Seaplane" McDonough: Spencer's avatar (who was previously Alex's); a young aircraft pilot.
- Alex Wolff as Spencer Gilpin: A nerdy student at Brantford High School, who is Eddie's grandson. His previous experience as Smolder Bravestone in Jumanji, helped him cope with his anxiety and panphobia, and to develop more prominent assertiveness. Spencer gets sucked into the game for a second time, and his friends, grandfather, and his grandfather's friend follow with a plan to rescue him.
- Rhys Darby as Nigel Billingsley, the players' main in-game NPC (Non-Player Character) guide.
- Colin Hanks as Alex Vreeke: A married man with children, who as a teenage gamer was trapped inside the Jumanji video game for many years; until he was rescued and returned to his time period in the previous film. Vreeke survived by taking shelter in a home built by a previous player in the game, named Alan Parrish.
Additionally, Awkwafina, and Dania Ramirez have been cast in undisclosed roles. Massi Furlan and Ashley Scott will appear as Renaldo and Ashley, respectively, and Bebe Neuwirth will reprise her role as Nora Shepherd from the original film. Rory McCann will also have a role in the film.
After the release of the previous film Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, and Nick Jonas had discussed in interviews what a possible Jumanji sequel (referred to as Jumanji 3) would be about, including the possibility of the film exploring the origins of the titular game. Karen Gillan had also said that the alternate ending for Welcome to the Jungle would have left the door open for another movie. In February 2018, it was announced that Kasdan would direct the sequel, with Rosenberg and Pinkner again writing the script and Johnson, Hart, Black, and Gillan reprising their roles.
On February 22, 2019, Black confirmed the new film as being a fourth Jumanji film because of Zathura: A Space Adventure (2005) serving as the second film and sharing continuity with the other films of the series, with Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle serving as the third film. In July 2019, the film's title was revealed as Jumanji: The Next Level.
In January 2019, Awkwafina, Danny DeVito, and Danny Glover joined the film. In February 2019, it was announced Alex Wolff, Ser'Darius Blain, Madison Iseman, Morgan Turner, and Nick Jonas were announced to reprise their roles. In March 2019, Dania Ramirez joined the cast of the film. That same month, it was announced Rhys Darby would reprise his role in the film. In May 2019, it was announced Colin Hanks would reprise his role.
Filming began on January 21, 2019, and took place in Atlanta, New Mexico, Calgary, Fortress Mountain Resort and Hawaii before wrapping on May 11. Johnson made a reported $23.5 million for his role.
Henry Jackman, is set to create the musical score after previously working on the first part.
The film is scheduled to be released on December 13, 2019. An official trailer was released on July 1, 2019. A final trailer was released on October 31, 2019. The film's Australian Release Date is December 26 2019 
- "RTF EXCLUSIVE: JUMANJI 3 To Bring Back Someone From Robin Williams' Original, More!". Revenge of the Fans. March 11, 2019. Retrieved November 2, 2019.
- Rob Keyes. "Nick Jonas Has A Funny Idea For The Next Jumanji Sequel". Screen Rant. Archived from the original on June 9, 2018. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- Matt Dolloff. "Jack Black Has A Great Idea For Jumanji 3". Screen Rant. Archived from the original on June 8, 2018. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- Christopher Isaac. "Here's Who Jumanji's Stars Want to See in Jumanji 3". Screen Rant. Archived from the original on June 11, 2018. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- Chris Evangelista. "The 'Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle' Cast Have 'Jumanji 3' Ideas, Plus an Alternate Ending for the New Sequel". Slash Film.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (February 6, 2018). "Scott Rosenberg & Jeff Pinkner To Write 'Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle' Sequel". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Archived from the original on February 7, 2018. Retrieved February 6, 2018.
- @Fandom (February 24, 2019). "Jack Black says the next Jumanji film is actually the 4th in the series – 'You forgot about the one in space ... 'Zathura 🚀👾" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Rubin, Rebecca (July 1, 2019). "'Jumanji: The Next Level' Drops First Trailer". Variety. Retrieved July 1, 2019.
- Kroll, Justin (January 3, 2019). "Awkwafina Joins Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart in 'Jumanji' Sequel". Variety. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- Kroll, Justin (January 4, 2019). "Danny DeVito Joins Dwayne Johnson in 'Jumanji' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 4, 2019). "'Jumanji' Teen Gang Return For Sequel". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 4, 2019.
- N'Duka, Amanda (February 6, 2019). "Nick Jonas Officially Returning For Sony's 'Jumanji' Sequel". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 5, 2019). "Dania Ramirez Journeys To 'Jumanji' Sequel; James Moses Black Books 'Black And Blue'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 5, 2019.
- N'Duka, Amanda (March 11, 2019). "Rhys Darby To Reprise His Role In 'Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle' Sequel". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- McVey, Ciara (May 7, 2019). "Colin Hanks Returning For 'Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle' Sequel". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 7, 2019.
- Marc, Christopher (October 21, 2018). "'Jumanji' Sequel To Start Filming On January 21st In Atlanta - Adds 'Captain Marvel' Art Director - GWW". thegww.com. Retrieved October 25, 2018.
- Jirak, Jamie (May 11, 2019). "The Rock Wraps Production on 'Jumanji' Sequel". Comic Book. Retrieved June 23, 2019.
- Volmers, Eric (April 10, 2019). "Jumanji sequel to film in Kananaskis next week". Calgary Herald. Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- Welk, Brian (August 22, 2019). "Dwayne Johnson, Chris Hemsworth Top Forbes' 2019 Highest-Paid Actors List (Photos)". TheWrap. Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- Couch, Aaron (July 1, 2019). "'Jumanji: The Next Level' Debuts First Trailer". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 3, 2019.
- Weatherall, Bryan. "Jumanji 2 Australian Release Date". Resident Entertainment. Retrieved November 8, 2019.