Travers joined Rolling Stone in 1989 after a four-year stint with People. According to eFilmCritic.com, Travers is the nation's most blurbed film critic. Some of the contemporary directors he is most receptive to based on ratings and placement in top ten lists include Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, Paul Thomas Anderson, Clint Eastwood, Christopher Nolan, Joel and Ethan Coen, and Ang Lee. He has also shown a great deal of disdain for certain directors, most notably Michael Bay and his films. Travers also hosts The New York Film Critics Series, a company that hosts live-streamed screening events and discussions. He also hosts the ABC News show Popcorn with Peter Travers interviewing actors and directors about the latest projects and their lives.
- "New York Film Critics Circle: Peter Travers". New York Film Critics Circle. Archived from the original on 27 April 2006. Retrieved 3 April 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Childress, Erik. "Criticwatch 2008 - The Whores of the Year". eFilmCritic.com. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- Childress, Erik. "Criticwatch 2009 - The Whores of the Year". eFilmCritic.com. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- "Rolling Stone review of Pain and Grain".
- "NY Film Critics Series". Nyfilmcriticsseries.com. Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- News, A. B. C. "Popcorn". ABC News. Retrieved 2019-01-10.