Juliusz Janusz (born 17 March 1944) is a Polish prelate of the Catholic Church who has spent his career in the diplomatic service of the Holy See. He has been an archbishop and held the position of Apostolic Nuncio from 1995 until he retired in 2018.
|Apostolic Nuncio emeritus of Slovenia and Apostolic Delegate emeritus to Kosovo|
Titular Archbishop of Caprulae
|Appointed||10 February 2011|
|Term ended||21 September 2018|
|Predecessor||Santos Abril y Castelló|
|Other post(s)||Titular Archbishop of Caprulae|
|Ordination||19 March 1967|
by Pope John Paul II
|Consecration||8 May 1995|
by Angelo Sodano, Franciszek Macharski, and Francis Arinze
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
He went to Rome with the intention of earning a degree in canon law but at Wojtyła's urging entered the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy to prepare for a career as a diplomat. Pope Paul VI gave him his first assignment in the diplomatic service of the Holy See in the Nunciature to Thailand, and he then filled positions in Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland and Greenland, West and East Germany, Brazil, the Netherlands, Hungary and Taiwan, where he was chargé d’affaires for three years.
On 25 March 1995, Pope John Paul II appointed him titular archbishop of Caprulae and Apostolic Nuncio to Rwanda. He received his episcopal consecration from Cardinal Angelo Sodano on 8 May. John Paul named him Apostolic Nuncio to Mozambique on 26 September 1998 and then to Hungary on 9 April 2003.
On 10 February 2011, Pope Benedict XVI appointed him Apostolic Nuncio to Slovenia and Apostolic Delegate to Kosovo. Because the independent status of Kosovo was still a matter of dispute, his appointment—the first time the Holy See had assigned a diplomat there—was accompanied by an explanatory note: "The mission of an Apostolic Delegate is not of a diplomatic nature but responds to the requirement to meet in an adequate way the pastoral needs of the Catholic faithful."
He retired on 21 September 2018.
- "Apostolski nuncij Juliusz Janusz se bo upokojil" [The apostolic nuncio Juliusz Janusz will retire] (in Slovenian). Radio Ognjisce. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "Speech of H.S.H. the Ambassador Prince Windisch-Graetz". Sovereign Order of Malta Embassy to Slovenia. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "Archbishop Juliusz Janusz [Catholic-Hierarchy]". www.catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 2020-05-14.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 09.04.2003" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 9 April 2003. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 10.02.2011" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 10 February 2011. Retrieved 2 May 2019.