José Luis Ábalos
José Luis Ábalos Meco (born December 9, 1959 in Torrent, Valencia) is a Spanish politician member of the Spanish Socialist Workers' Party. In June 2018 he was appointed Minister of Development of Spain.
José Luis Ábalos
|Minister of Development|
|Assumed office |
7 June 2018
Acting: Since 29 April 2019
|Prime Minister||Pedro Sánchez|
|Preceded by||Iñigo de la Serna|
|Member of the Congress of Deputies|
21 April 2009 – 15 June 2018
|Born||December 9 1959|
Torrent, Valencia, Spain
|Profession||Primary teacher, Politician|
Ábalos worked as a primary school teacher and was originally a member of the Communist Party of Spain before joining the PSOE in 1981. Within the PSOE, he served as Secretary General of the PSOE for the Valencia City North region (based around the district of Orriols) from 1988 to 1995 before he became PSOE Secretary General for Valencia city in the latter year. He also stood as a candidate for Secretary general of the PSOE in the Valencian Community in 2001 and 2008, but was unsuccessful on both occasions.
He was a member of Valencia City Council from 1999 to 2009 while also being a member of the Provincial Deputation of Valencia for the 2003–2007 period. For the Spanish General Election of 2008, he was selected as a candidate for the PSOE, being placed eighth on the list for Valencia Province. With the PSOE (as in 2004) winning seven seats, Ábalos initially failed to be elected to the Spanish Congress, but in April 2009 he joined the Congress as a substitute for Inmaculada Rodríguez-Piñero, who had been appointed Minister of Public Works.
As of June 2018, Ábalos serves as Minister of Development of Spain and as Organizational Secretary of the PSOE.
- Secretary General of the Socialist Party of Valencia PSPV-PSOE (1995–2000)
- President of the National Committee of the PSPV-PSOE (1997–1999)
- Councilor of the City Hall of Valencia (1999–2009)
- Vicesecretary General of PSPV-PSOE (2000–2004)
- Member of the County Council of Valencia (2003–2007)
- Member of the Congress of Deputies representing the Constituency of Valencia (2009-2018)
- Secretary General of PSPV in the province of Valencia (2012–2017)
- Acting Spokesperson of the Socialist Party at the Spanish Congress of Deputies (2017)
- Organizational Secretary of PSOE (from 2017)
- Minister of Development at the Government of Spain (from 2018)
- García de Blas, Elsa (4 June 2018). "José Luis Ábalos, el pacificador interno". El País.
- Dictionary of Valencian politicians, p2 Archived 2009-09-20 at the Wayback Machine
- PSOE candidates list 2008, El Pais Archived 2008-07-20 at the Wayback Machine
- Blanco nombra a Rodríguez-Piñero secretaria general de Infraestructuras, Levante, 16 April 2009
- "Spain's ousted leader steps down as conservative party boss". AP NEWS. 2018-06-05. Retrieved 2018-10-19.
- Biography at Spanish Congress site
- Spanish Socialist Workers Party Transparency Portal - Jose Luis Ábalos Meco
- La Moncloa - Jose Luis Abalos Meco - Minister of Development
- Personal blog
Íñigo de la Serna
| Minister of Development
|Party political offices|
| Leader of the Socialist Group in the Congress of Deputies
| Secretary of Organization of the Spanish Socialist Workers' Party
|This article about a Spanish politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|