Japanese School of Guam
The Japanese School of Guam (グアム日本人学校, Guamu Nihonjin Gakkō) is a Japanese international school in Mangilao, Guam. It includes both day school and weekend supplementary school divisions, and the school also holds Japanese language classes. As of April 2013 Toyohito Yoneyama is the chairperson of the school.
|Japanese School of Guam|
170 Terao Street, Mangilao, GU 96913
|Type||Primary & middle school|
Prior to the establishment of the day school, Japanese children in Guam attended a special supplementary Japanese school. The Guam Japanese Association began considering making one in March 1972 and it opened by May 1973. It occupied, the conference room of the Japan Airlines office at Guam Airport, then St. John's School beginning in September 1975, then to the Fujita Hotel beginning in September 1979, then six classrooms in Tamuning Elementary School beginning in July 1987.
Around the years 1987-1989 there was a committee held to establish a Japanese day school in Guam. The day school opened in April 1989 as the Agana Japanese School (アガナ日本人学校 Agana Nihonjin Gakkō). Originally its campus was the Pacific Islands Club (PIC) Hotel in Tamuning, near Hagåtña (Agana), which now housed both day and weekend schools. In April 1990 the permanent campus in Mangilao opened. The school received its current name on March 17, 1999 (Heisei 11).
- American School in Japan, American international school in Tokyo
- "Private Schools in Guam Archived 2014-01-02 at WebCite." (Archive) Morale Welfare & Recreation Office, Guam (MRW Guam). March 19, 2012. p. 2 of 4. Retrieved on January 2, 2014. "170 Terao St, Mangilao, Guam 96913."
- Home page. Japanese School of Guam. Retrieved on January 12, 2015. "Faculty 1 : FULLTIME DIVISION (Guam Nihonjin Gakko) Faculty 2 : SUPPLEMENTARY DIVISION(Guam Hoshu-Ko) Faculty 3 : JAPANESE LANGUAGE CLASS"
- Kerrigan, Kevin. "First Hawaiian Bank Donates $5,000 to the Japanese School of Guam." (Archive) Pacific News Center. Tuesday April 9, 2013. Retrieved on January 2, 2014.
- Glimpses of Guam. Glimpses of Micronesia, Volumes 24-25. Glimpses of Guam, Incorporated, 1984. p. 21. "Yet, while Japanese children on Guam devoutly attend a special Japanese school to enhance their reading, writing and[...]"
- "About Us." Japanese School of Guam. Retrieved on December 5, 2017.
- Congressional Record, V. 146, Pt. 7, May 24, 2000 to June 12, 2000. United States Congress. Government Printing Office, 2004. p. 10628. "Between 1987 and 1989, he was a member of the committee to establish a Japanese school on Guam." (Tribute to Akira Inoue)
- "北米の日本人学校一覧（平成24年4月15日現在）." Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. January 13, 2015. Retrieved on December 20, 2017. "グアム日本人学校 [...] The Japanese School of Guam 旧 アガナ日本人学校（平成11年3月17日変更）"
- 芝野 淳一. "Teachers' Practice and Conflict of "Japaneseness" in Transnationalized Japanese Educational Institutions Overseas : A Case Study of the Japanese School of Guam" (日本人学校教員の「日本らしさ」をめぐる実践と葛藤 : トランスナショナル化する在外教育施設を事例に). 教育社会学研究 95, 111-130, 2014. 東洋館出版社. See profile at CiNii.
- 馬渕 豊 (前グアム日本人学校:静岡県浜松市立神久呂小学校). "グアム日本人学校における言語の教育(教科指導) ." 在外教育施設における指導実践記録 33, 59-62, 2010-12-24. Tokyo Gakugei University. See profile at CiNii.
- 小平 孝昌 (栃木県小山市立大谷東小学校・グァム日本人学校(前)). "グアム日本人学校における総合的な学習の実践(第3章総合的な学習)." 在外教育施設における指導実践記録 28, 36-39, 2005. Tokyo Gakugei University. See profile at CiNii.
- (in Japanese) Japanese School of Guam - Full day and weekend school page
- Japanese School of Guam (English site) at Google Sites
- (in Japanese) Japanese School of Guam old website (geocities.co.jp/NeverLand/3604/) at the Wayback Machine (archive index)
- (in Japanese) Guam Hoshuko old website (geocities.jp/guamjapanese_school/index.html) at the Wayback Machine (archive index)
- (in Japanese) Japanese School of Guam old website at the Wayback Machine (archive index)
- (in Japanese) Japanese School of Guam at the Japan Club of Guam (グアム日本人会 Guamu Nihonjinkai)
- (in Japanese) Japan Club of Guam