Hot in Herre
"Hot in Herre" is a song by American rapper Nelly from his second studio album Nellyville (2002). The song features additional vocals by former labelmate Dani Stevenson. It was released on April 16, 2002, by Universal Records as the second single from the project. The song was produced by The Neptunes.
|"Hot in Herre"|
|Single by Nelly|
|from the album Nellyville|
|Released||April 16, 2002|
|Nelly singles chronology|
"Hot in Herre" incorporates the hook from go-go performer Chuck Brown's 1979 single "Bustin' Loose", and opens with samples from Neil Young's "There's a World" and Nancy Sinatra's recording of "As Tears Go By".
Awards and accoladesEdit
In 2008, it was ranked number 36 on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of Hip Hop.
The song was Nelly's first number one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 and in Canada. It peaked at number four in the United Kingdom, and also hit the top ten in other international markets. The song was number three in the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Singles Chart for 2002.
There were two music videos made for the single "Hot in Herre", one set in a dance club, and an alternative one shot at the St. Louis Arch. The alternative video was played on MTV Europe instead of the official one.
One scene of the music video features Nelly and the club goers shouting the chorus for "The Roof Is on Fire" while there's a fire actually burning in the club.
"Hot in Herre" has been remade by the following artists:
- Canadian electronic artist Tiga, who remade "Hot in Herre" with Scissor Sisters lead singer Jake Shears on vocals, giving it a more monotone, electro feel (this reached number 46 in the UK). A music video was created for Tiga's version of the song which aired in heavy rotation. The video starred puppets depicting cliche scenes from hip hop videos of the era.
- Widespread Panic, whose arrangement was included on their album Jackassolantern and was featured on an episode of The O.C..
- Jenny Owen Youngs, whose version also had an accompanying video.
- The BossHoss recorded the song.
- In the live version of "Jocko Homo" on Devo's album DEVOlution is Real: Live in Central Park, Mark Mothersbaugh briefly sings the chorus of "Hot in Herre" before the song's "O-HI-O" breakdown.
- Jill Sobule did the song acoustically at a live performance in Seattle with Melissa Ferrick.
- Wang Chung performed the song on the television show Hit Me, Baby, One More Time.
- The song was parodied as "Trash Day" by "Weird Al" Yankovic on the album Poodle Hat, replacing the chorus with "There's somethin' rotten here, (say what?) you better hold your nose."
- The song was parodied by Mad TV in a sketch satirizing the controversy surrounding the Catholic Church and young boys.
- The song is featured in The Sims 4: Seasons expansion pack for The Sims 4, rerecorded in the series' fictional Simlish language.
These are the major formats and track listings for the release of "Hot in Herre":
US promo CD
UK vinyl, 12"
Europe promo CD
Australasia Maxi-CD 2
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Platinum||10,000*|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||600,000|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Jenny Owen Youngs "Hot In Herre"". YouTube. 2007-09-26. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Discogs". Discogs. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Australian-charts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Nelly – Hot in Herre" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Nelly – Hot in Herre" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Nelly – Hot in Herre" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Nelly Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Danishcharts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Tracklisten.
- "Lescharts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Nelly Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Irish Singles Chart Irishcharts.ie Archived 2009-06-03 at WebCite (Retrieved April 10, 2008)
- "Italiancharts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Top Digital Download.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Nelly – Hot in Herre" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Nelly: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40 - Official Charts Company". www.officialcharts.com.
- "Nelly Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Nelly Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Nelly Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Nelly Chart History (Hot Rap Songs)". Billboard.
- 2002 Australian Singles Chart aria.com (Retrieved August 8, 2008)
- 2002 Belgian (Flanders) Singles Chart Ultratop.be (Retrieved August 8, 2008)
- 2002 Belgian (Wallonia) Singles Chart Ultratop.be (Retrieved August 8, 2008)
- "Single top 100 over 2002" (PDF) (in Dutch). Top40. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "End of Year Charts 2002". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- 2002 Swiss Singles Chart Hitparade.ch Archived 2013-12-03 at the Wayback Machine (Retrieved August 8, 2008)
- 2002 UK Singles Chart ChartsPlus (Retrieved August 8, 2008)
- "The Billboard Hot 100 Singles & Tracks - Decade Year End Charts". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved April 18, 2011.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2002 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Nelly; 'Hot in Herre')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved May 1, 2018.
- "New Zealand single certifications – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "British single certifications – Nelly – Hot in Herre". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved May 17, 2019. Select singles in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type Hot in Herre in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved June 10, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.