The Bundesverband Musikindustrie (English: Federal Music Industry Association), or simply BVMI, represents the music industry in Germany. The association represents the interests of nearly 280 labels and music industry related enterprises, which comprise 90% of the music industry.
|Type||Federal Music Industry Association|
|German Music Companies|
|Managing Director: Dr. Florian Drücke|
Bundesverband Musikindustrie is a member of International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), which is based in London, England. IFPI consists of music associations of 70 countries.
Bundesverband Musikindustrie, which is responsible for certifying Gold and Platinum certification awards, is led by Dieter Gorny, who has been the chairman since 2009.
BVMI launched its Gold and Platinum award program in 1975, and relies on an independent auditor for the accuracy of the sales required for the awards.
BVMI instituted Diamond award on June 1, 2014 and applied the award to titles released starting from January 1, 2013.
Starting also from June 1, 2014, BVMI raised its certification-award-levels for the Singles, from the previous 150,000 units for Gold and 300,000 units for Platinum to 200,000 units for Gold and 400,000 units for Platinum. The change in the certification-levels of the Singles was affected by both inclusion of Streaming as well as an increase in sales of downloads that has been seen in recent years. 100 streams with the running time of at least 30 seconds or more, are considered as one single download.
BVMI follows the following pattern to certify records:
- 1 x Gold
- 1 x Platinum
- 3 x Gold
- 2 x Platinum
- 5 x Gold
- 3 x Platinum etc.
The association does not issue awards for 2 x Gold or 4 x Gold which overlie the requirements of platinum certification awards. Sales of both physical and digital, whether it is an album or a single, can be included for certification.
|Certification||Before September 24, 1999||After September 24, 1999||After January 1, 2003||After June 1, 2014[Notes]|
|3× Gold||750,000||450,000||300,000||300,000 (Unchanged)|
|2× Platinum||1,000,000||600,000||400,000||400,000 (Unchanged)|
|5× Gold||1,250,000||750,000||500,000||500,000 (Unchanged)|
|3× Platinum||1,500,000||900,000||600,000||600,000 (Unchanged)|
|Diamond||not awarded||not awarded||not awarded||750,000[Notes]|
|Certification||Before January 1, 2003||Jan. 01, 2003 to June 1, 2014||After June 1, 2014[Notes]|
|Diamond||not awarded||not awarded||1,000,000[Notes]|
|Certification||Since January 2002|
|Certification||Since January 1992|
Note that Diamond-award both for the Singles and Albums will be applied to those titles released on/after January 1, 2013.
- "Dieter Gorny als Vorstandsvorsitzender des BVMI bestätigt (Dieter Gorny confirmed as chairman of the BVMI)" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindstie. Archived from the original on 2010-08-16. Retrieved 2010-03-13.
- "Bundesverband Musikindustrie: Der Bundesverband Musikindustrie e. V." Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Archived from the original on 2013-11-25. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Über Uns: Aufgaben und Ziele" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Archived from the original on 2010-04-04. Retrieved 2010-03-13.
- "Unternehmen (The Company)" (in German). Media Control Gfk International. Retrieved 2010-03-13.
- "Richtlinien für die Verleihung von Gold/Platin Schallplatten und Awards (Guidelines for Gold and Platinum awards))" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindstie. Archived from the original on 2010-03-28. Retrieved 2010-03-13.
- "Neuer DIAMOND AWARD für die erfolgreichsten Singles und Alben in Deutschland" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindstie. Archived from the original on 2014-06-26. Retrieved 2014-05-15.