San Lorenzo, Santa Rita, Sur, Tacámara, Tasajeras, Uñas, Uñitas, Velasco, Yareyal and Yayal.
Holguín municipality (red) within
Holguín Province (yellow) and Cuba
|• Total||655.9 km2 (253.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||5 m (16 ft)|
|• Density||528/km2 (1,370/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4|
|Area code(s)||+53 24|
The brewery Cervecería Bucanero is based in the city. It makes three brands of beer (Bucanero, Cristal and Mayabe) sold in contown area. Close by one finds the galleries Centro Provincial de Arte and Bayado, a library, the club Casa de la Trova, the Martí cinema, the Theatre Eddy Suñol, the Province Museum La Periquera, a science museum, and a history museum. From the hill Loma de la Cruz, where a large crucifix is installed, which can be ascended by its 450 stairs, one can oversee the whole city.
The main post-secondary education institution is the University of Holguín "Oscar Lucero Moya" (Spanish: Universidad de Holguín "Oscar Lucero Moya", UHO).
Other post-secondary educational centers are Universidad de Ciencias Médicas "Mariana Grajales" (University of Medical Sciences) and Instituto Superior Pedagógico "José de la Luz y Caballero", ISPH (Pedagogical Institute of Holguin).
- Faustino Oramas, Cuban composer and musician
- Mario Kindelán, Olympic Gold Medalist amateur boxer
- Eglise Gutiérrez, opera singer
- Reinaldo Arenas, poet and novelist
- Oscar Hijuelos, Cuban-American Pulitzer Prize-winning author, whose parents were born and raised in Holguín before immigrating to the USA.
- Puntillita (Manuel Licea), Cuban popular singer
- Aroldis Chapman, Major League Baseball player
This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Guije.com. "Holguín" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Statoids. "Municipios of Cuba". Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Atenas.cu (2004). "2004 Population trends, by Province and Municipality" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Hijuelos, Oscar, Thoughts Without Cigarettes: A Memoir, 2011.
- "Interactive City Directory". Sister Cities International. Retrieved 12 March 2014.