Handel Gothic is a geometric sans-serif typeface. The typeface was designed in the mid-1960s by Donald J. Handel (1936–2002), who worked for the graphic designer Saul Bass. It was a companion typeface for the 1972 Warner Bros. logo and wordmark developed at Saul Bass' studios. It was also used in the 1973 United Airlines logo developed by Bass.
|Designer(s)||Donald J. Handel, Robert Trogman|
|Re-issuing foundries||Bitstream, Elsner+Flake, Linotype, Tilde SIA, URW++, ITC|
When first released, Handel Gothic was an instant success. The typeface was originally distributed in film format by FotoStar and was reissued in the 1980s by Robert Trogman.
It was a popular font in the 1980s due to its futuristic design, and even today is used to signify the future; it has been used in the credits of both Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine as well as the logo for Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
The Elsner+Flake, Linotype and URW++ versions use a curved leg on uppercase R (like that of Helvetica), a horizontal tail on the uppercase Q (like that of Univers), a curved lower leg on the lowercase k, and a trident-like lowercase w.
The Bitstream and Tilde SIA versions, however, use a thicker 1, a straight leg on the uppercase R (like that of Akzidenz Grotesk), a straight lower leg on the lowercase k, and a double-v w.
Handel Gothic CyrillicEdit
It is a version by Tilde SIA with Cyrillic support. The family includes 1 font.
ITC Handel Gothic (2008)Edit
The original release includes 5 fonts in 5 weights. OpenType features include fractions, ligatures, ordinals, stylistic alternates and subscript/superscript. Italic versions of the fonts were introduced with release of ITC Handel Gothic Pro.
ITC Handel Gothic Pro (2010)Edit
Additional OpenType features include localized forms, stylistic set 1.
ITC Handel Gothic Arabic (2015)Edit
The font family includes 5 fonts in 5 weights, without italics.
URW++ Handel Slab (2009)Edit
Corporate identity usesEdit
- American Motors / AMC Eagle car model emblem from 1980 until 1987, used for the name of the car model EAGLE.
- Canon EOS autofocus photographic cameras line emblem since 1987, used for the name of the camera line EOS.
- Robotnik Automation – 
- United Airlines – In 1973 Saul Bass developed the United logo that featured a customized red and blue "Double U" logo and underneath Handel Gothic logotype.
- Volvo – has used the font since 1974. Initially it was used for the model badges on its cars, but this application ceased in the early 1980s when it began to be used for instrument panel and dashboard graphics, where it has been applied ever since.
- Arkon Technologies – Handel Gothic Light
- ADFC – Allgemeiner Deutscher Fahrrad-Club, the German NGO, supporting cycling, uses Handel Gothic as their corporate logo font.
- ZDF (Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen) – German national public television broadcaster's logo.
- Korean Broadcasting System- Korean national public television broadcaster's logo.
- Pepsi Cola Logos from 1987 to 2003 featured this font.
- Used on The Disney Channel logo from 1983 to 1986.
- Used on Walt Disney Home Video logo Neon Mickey from 1983 to 1986.
- Featured on the 1971 to 1996 Walt Disney World logo with a Mickey silhouette within an oversized "D". as well as on signage within Epcot center prior to refurbishments.
- WWF SmackDown! used it for the first 2 years of the show, as the nameplate font for wrestlers, commentators and other various graphics from 1999 to 2001.
- Cinemax Studios (now GMA Films) Used the font in 1997 until June 24, 1998
- San Miguel Corporation uses Handel Gothic as their corporate logo font since 1975.
- TV Patrol, a newscast in the Philippines, used this font since 2001.
- The Linux distribution CentOS uses Handel Gothic in its logo.
- Donald Young. Fonts & Logos, DelphiPress. ISBN 978-0-9673316-0-7/ ISBN 978-0-9673316-0-7
- "Handel Gothic EF™ – Webfont & Desktop font". MyFonts. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "ITC Handel Gothic Pro - ITCFonts.com". Web.archive.org. 21 May 2012. Archived from the original on 21 May 2012. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- ITC Handel Gothic – What's old is new again. Master type designer Rod McDonald revives, expands and enhances the Handel Gothic family
- The popular ITC Handel Gothic, now for Arabic, Persian, and Urdu
- Handel Slab
- "Robotnik Automation".
- "Aerosite – United Airlines- A Branding Evolution". Archived from the original on 16 December 2008. Retrieved 19 March 2009.
- "Brand Identity – Arkon". Scribd.com. 29 July 2007. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- "Corporate Design Manual – ADFC" (PDF). adfc.de. 30 November 2009. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "ZDF, Corporate Design Styleguide" (PDF). Design Tagebuch. Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- Handel Gothic Font Family – by Ronald Trogram
- Handel Gothic by URW[permanent dead link]
- MyFonts: Handel Gothic
- Handel Gothic, Handel Gothic Cyrillic