Hamirpur district, Uttar Pradesh
Hamirpur district is one of the 75 districts of Uttar Pradesh state of India and Hamirpur town is the district headquarters. Hamirpur district is a part of Chitrakoot Division. The district occupies an area of 4,121.9 km². The district has a population of 1,104,285 (2011 census). As of 2011 it is the third least populous district of Uttar Pradesh (out of 71), after Mahoba and Chitrakoot. Two major rivers Yamuna and Betwa meet here . On the banks of river Betwa lies the "Coarse sand" which is exported to many parts in U.P.
|Tehsils||Hamirpur, Rath, Maudaha, Sarila|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Hamirpur, Uttar Pradesh (Lok Sabha constituency)|
|• Vidhan Sabha constituencies|
|• Total||4,121 km2 (1,591 sq mi)|
|• Density||270/km2 (690/sq mi)|
|• Literacy||70.16 %|
|Time zone||UTC+05:30 (IST)|
|Major highways||NH 86|
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Hamirpur one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 34 districts in Uttar Pradesh currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
According to the 2011 census Hamirpur district, Uttar Pradesh has a population of 1,104,285, roughly equal to the nation of Cyprus or the US state of Rhode Island. This gives it a ranking of 417th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 268 inhabitants per square kilometre (690/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 5.78%. Hamirpur has a sex ratio of 860 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 70.16%.
Tongues spoken in Hamirpur include Bundeli, which has a lexical similarity of 72-91% with Hindi (compared to 60% for German and English) and is spoken by about 7,800,000 people in Bundelkhand.
- Dewan Shatrughan Singh - Father of the Freedom Movement in Bundelkhand
- Swami Brahmanand - MP, Congress
- Ashok Kumar Singh Chandel - MLA, BJP
- Sanjay Pratap Singh, MD, FAAN, Chief of Staff - Creighton University Hospital, USA
- Vijay Bahadur Singh, Sr. Advocate ( High Court), Ex. MP, Ex. Advocate General
- Ganga Charan Rajput, Ex. MP
- Pushpendra Singh Chandel, MP, BJP
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (8 September 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 April 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 1 October 2011.
Cyprus 1,120,489 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
Rhode Island 1,052,567
- Decadal Variation In Population Since 1901
- 2011 Census of India, Population By Mother Tongue
- M. Paul Lewis, ed. (2009). "Bagheli: A language of India". Ethnologue: Languages of the World (16th ed.). Dallas, Texas: SIL International. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- M. Paul Lewis, ed. (2009). "English". Ethnologue: Languages of the World (16th ed.). Dallas, Texas: SIL International. Retrieved 28 September 2011.