Hélène Rey (born 1970) is a French economist who serves as Professor at London Business School (LBS).
|Institution||London Business School (LBS)|
|Alma mater||London School of Economics|
George de Menil
|Awards||Yrjö Jahnsson Award|
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
She received a Master of Science degree in Engineering Economic Systems from Stanford University in 1994. She has Ph.Ds from Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales and London School of Economics, both in 1998. After working as a lecturer at LSE 1997–2000 she was assistant professor and later professor (2006) at Princeton University where she also worked at Bendheim Center for Finance and Woodrow Wilson School.
She was a member of the Conseil d'analyse économique which advises the French Prime Minister on economic matters 2010–2012. and is since 2012 a member of the Commission Economique de la Nation which advises the Finance Minister of France.
Rey focuses her research on the determinants and consequences of financial trade and economic imbalances, the theory of financial crisis, and how the international monetary system is organized. Through her research, she has shown that certain countries different different gross external asset positions help them predict future financial positions along with their exchange rates.
She is credited with ground-breaking research into the structure of international payments and capital flows. By examining the balance sheets of creditor and debtor nations, she offered new insights into relative returns on cross-border investments. She explained her approach in an interview with the Financial Times, which wrote, "She also showed why the US is the world's banker. "We called it 'the US's exorbitant privilege'. The US earns more on external assets than it pays on external liabilities. It has an excess return on the order of 2 per cent ... So it issues a lot of government bonds that are happily bought by the rest of the world."
Awards and recognitionEdit
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship (2005)
- Germán Bernácer Prize (2006)
- Fellow of the British Academy (2011)
- Birgit Grodal Award (2012)
- Fellow of the European Economic Association (2013)
- Fellow of the Econometric Society (2013)
- Yrjö Jahnsson Award, shared with Thomas Piketty (2013)
- Named one of 25 brightest young economists by the International Monetary Fund.
- Rey is a member of the Conseil d’Analyse Economique until 2012
- She is on the Board of the Board of the Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Résolution (2010-2014)
- Rey, Hélène; Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier (2014). "External adjustment, global imbalances and valuation effects". Handbook of International Economics. 4. pp. 585–645.
- Rey, Hélène (2013). "Comment on "time to ship during financial crises"". In Giavazzi, Francesco; West, Kenneth D. (eds.). NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2012. Chicago, Illinois: National Bureau of Economic Research. pp. 261–263. ISBN 9780226053271.
- Rey, Hélène; Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier (2007). "From World Banker to World Venture Capitalist: U.S. External Adjustment and the Exorbitant Privilege". G7 Current Account Imbalances: Sustainability and Adjustment. doi:10.3386/w11563.
- Rey, Hélène; Portes, Richard (March 2005). "The determinants of cross-border equity flows" (PDF). Journal of International Economics. ScienceDirect. 65 (2): 269–296. doi:10.1016/j.jinteco.2004.05.002.
- Rey, Hélène; Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier (2007). "International financial adjustment". Journal of Political Economy. 115 (4): 665–703. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.331.4666. doi:10.1086/521966.
- Rey, Hélène; Imbs, Jean M.; Mumtaz, Haroon; Ravn, Morten O. (December 2010). "One TV, one price?". The Scandinavian Journal of Economics. Wiley. 112 (4): 753–781. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9442.2010.01631.x.
- Rey, Hélène; Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier; Truempler, Kai (November 2012). "The financial crisis and the geography of wealth transfers". Journal of International Economics. ScienceDirect. 88 (2): 266–283. doi:10.1016/j.jinteco.2012.05.008.
- Coeurdacier, Nicolas; Rey, Hélène (2013). "Home Bias in Open Economy Financial Macroeconomics" (PDF). Journal of Economic Literature. 51 (1): 63–115. doi:10.1257/jel.51.1.63.
- Rey, Hélène; Passari, Evgenia (2015). "Financial Flows and the International Monetary System". Economic Journal. 125 (584): 675–698. doi:10.1111/ecoj.12268.
- Annie Maccoby Berglof (14 June 2014) At home: Hélène Rey Financial Times.
- HÉLÈNE REY CV. London School of Economics
- Bio Homesite. LSE. Archived 2014-08-28 at WebCite at WebCite.
- Boby Michael (27 August 2014) IMF Lists 25 Brightest Young Economists International Business Times
- Berglof, Annie Maccoby (June 14, 2013). "At home: Hélène Rey". Financial Times. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- Rey and Gourinchas (August 2005). "From World Banker to World Venture Capitalist: US External Adjustment and The Exorbitant Privilege∗" (PDF). NBER Conference.
- Hélène Rey at Google Scholar.