Grand Theft Auto: London 1969
Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 is a mission pack for Grand Theft Auto. London 1969 was developed by Rockstar Canada and released by Rockstar Games on 31 March 1999 for Microsoft Windows and on 30 April 1999 for PlayStation. The game was awarded the BAFTA Interactive Entertainment Award in the category "Sound" in 1999.
|Grand Theft Auto: London 1969|
|Series||Grand Theft Auto|
|Platform(s)||MS-DOS, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation|
Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 was released to mixed reviews. GameRankings, which assigns a normalised rating out of 100, calculated an average score of 75% based on nine reviews for the Microsoft Windows version, while the PlayStation port scored 69% based on eleven reviews.
The expansion was generally seen as having very little in the way of improvement upon the original Grand Theft Auto. Jeff Gerstmann of GameSpot thought the game "still manages to be reasonably fun" but concluded it "really doesn't hold a candle to GTA's original three cities". Ron Dulin, also of GameSpot, found "there isn't much new in Grand Theft Auto: London 1969" other than cosmetic changes and that "all of the gameplay problems [from the base game] remain". He criticised the lack of development citing "poor control, frustrating mission design, and mediocre graphics". A reviewer for Eurogamer agreed saying "like the original game, is not a great looker. The graphics are highly pixelated and scrolling isn't the smoothest". In a more positive review for IGN, Jay Boor highlighted that "GTA London 1969 boasts 36 new missions, 30 new vehicles and most importantly, unlimited criminal opportunity" though admitted "the open ended gameplay doesn't really have you doing anything different [from the original GTA]".
In contrast to the controls and visuals, the audio was universally well received. IGN's Doug Perry declared it "the very best attraction to GTA London [with] its accurate, retro '60s sound". Boor agreed stating "the soundtrack creates an amazing London vibe" while in a review for Eurogamer it was stated "the superb music" is what "makes the game tick".
Grand Theft Auto: London 1961Edit
Grand Theft Auto: London 1961 is a freeware mission pack for Grand Theft Auto: London 1969, developed by Rockstar Canada and released digitally by Rockstar Games on 1 July 1999 to coincide with the release of Grand Theft Auto series' web presence.
- "Interactive | Sound in 1999". British Academy Film Awards. British Academy of Film and Television Arts. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Grand Theft Auto Mission Pack #1: London 1969 for PC". GameRankings. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Grand Theft Auto Mission Pack #1: London 1969 for PlayStation". GameRankings. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Grand Theft Auto: London 1969". Eurogamer. 22 April 2000. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- Dulin, Ron (21 May 1999). "Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- Gerstmann, Jeff (28 May 1999). "Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- Boor, Jay (3 June 1999). "Grand Theft Auto: London 1969". IGN. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- Perry, Doug (10 May 1999). "Grand Theft Auto: London 1969". IGN. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "July 1 is GTA Day". Take-Two Interactive. Archived from the original on 29 February 2000.