GameRankings was a video gaming review aggregator that was founded in 1999 and owned by CBS Interactive. It indexed over 315,000 articles relating to more than 14,500 video games.[when?] GameRankings was discontinued in December 2019, with its staff and older reviews being merged with the similar aggregator Metacritic.
Type of site
|Dissolved||9 December 2019|
|Created by||Scott Bedard|
|Alexa rank||38,170 (July 2018[update])|
|Current status||Shutdown. Redirected to Metacritic|
GameRankings collected and linked to (but did not host) reviews from other websites and magazines and averages specific ones. While hundreds of reviews may get listed, only the ones that GameRankings deemed notable were used for the average. Scores were culled from numerous American and European sources. The site used a percentage grade for all reviews in order to be able to calculate an average. However, because not all sites use the same scoring system (some rate out of 5 or 10, while others use a letter grade), GameRankings changed all other types of scores into percentages using a relatively straightforward conversion process.
When a game accumulated six total reviews, it was given a ranking compared to all other games in the database and a ranking compared to games on its console.
- "Alexa Ranking". Alexa Internet. Archived from the original on 5 July 2018. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "GameRankings Help". gamerankings.com. Archived from the original on 22 October 2017. Retrieved 28 April 2018.
- "GameRankings". PC Magazine. March 25, 2003. Archived from the original on May 12, 2008.
- "Reviews and News Articles - GameRankings". GameRankings. Archived from the original on 21 March 2018. Retrieved 28 April 2018.
- Plunkett, Luke (December 5, 2019). "RIP Gamerankings.com". Kotaku. G/O Media. Retrieved December 6, 2019.
- "GameRankings Shutting down". Archived from the original on 2019-12-04.
- McAloon, Alissa (December 5, 2019). "Review aggregator site GameRankings is shutting down". Gamasutra. Retrieved December 5, 2019.
- Official website at the Wayback Machine (archived December 9, 2019)
- "High Scores Matter To Game Makers, Too", The Wall Street Journal, September 20, 2007.
- "Video games: Aiming to please?", StarTribune, June 7, 2008.
- "Things that suck about video game reviews", That Videogame Blog, April 2, 2008.
- "Do Review Scores Really Matter?", Dpad Magazine, June 11, 2010.