|Royal Consort Geun|
|Royal Consort of Goryeo|
|Tenure||1379 – 1388|
|Born||12th day, 12th month (lunar calendar)|
Goseong, Kingdom of Goryeo
|Spouse||King U of Goryeo|
|Issue||King Chang of Goryeo|
Royal Consort Geun's personal name is unknown. She was born in Goseong. Her father was Yi Rim, a relative of Yi In-Im, and her mother was Lady Hong. In 1379, she became the consort of the 13-year-old king U of Goryeo with the title Royal Consort Geun (Korean: 근비; Hanja: 謹妃). She was installed in Hudeok Mansion, and her father was given the title 'Internal Prince Cheongseong' (Korean: 철성부원군). Two felons were released from prison to mark the occasion.
In September 1380, she gave birth to a prince, the future King Chang, and one felon was released to celebrate. King U's third consort, Royal Consort Ui of the No clan, was originally one of Royal Consort Geun's maids but was promoted in 1382.
After U of Goryeo's deposalEdit
In 1388, after ordering an attack on Liaodong in Ming territory, King U was forced to abdicate during a coup led by the general Yi Seonggye. His young son ascended the throne as King Chang with Yi Seonggye as regent, and Royal Consort Geun was promoted to queen mother (Korean: 왕대비). All of the former king's other consorts were forced to leave the palace and return to their natal homes.
Little more than a year later, both King Chang and his father were demoted to commoner status with the justification that U had not actually been the son of his royal father, and Gongyang of Goryeo was enthroned as the new ruler. In addition to her husband and son, Royal Consort Geun's father and brother were exiled, as well as two of her brothers-in-law, a nephew-in-law, and a nephew. Late in 1389, the two former kings were killed, and Royal Consort Geun's father was imprisoned in Cheongju.
- Goryeosa, vol. 134. Biographies: vol. 47. King U: Month 12, Year 7.
- Goryeosa, vol. 45. Important families: vol. 45. King Gongyang: Month 12, Coronation year.
- Goryeosa, vol. 134. Biographies: vol. 47. King U: Month 4, Year 5.
- Goryeosa, vol. 134. Biographies: vol. 47. King U: Month 8, Year 6.
- Goryeosa, vol. 134. Biographies: vol. 47. King U: Month 2, Year 8.
- Cho (2007).
- Goryeosa, vol. 137. Biographies: vol. 50. King Chang: Month 6, Coronation year.
- Goryeosa, vol. 45. Distinguished families: vol. 45. King Gongyang: Month 11, Coronation year.
- Goryeosa, vol. 45. Distinguished families: vol. 45. King Gongyang: Month 5, Year 2.