Gongyang of Goryeo
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
King Gongyang of Goryeo (9 March 1345 – 17 May 1394, r. 1389 – 1392) was the 34th and final ruler of the Goryeo dynasty of Korea. He was deposed by Yi Seonggye, who then established the Joseon Dynasty.
|King Gongyang of Goryeo|
|King of Goryeo|
|Reign||1389 – 1392|
|Predecessor||Chang of Goryeo|
|Successor||Taejo of Joseon as King of Joseon|
|Born||9 March 1345|
|Died||17 May 1394(aged 49)|
|Consort||Royal Consort Sun-Bi|
|Issue||Crown Prince Jeongseong|
|House||House of Wang|
|Father||Wang Gyun, Grand Prince Jeongwon|
|Mother||Grand Princess Samhanguk|
|Gongyang of Goryeo|
|Revised Romanization||Gongyang Wang|
|Revised Romanization||Wang Yo|
King Gongyang was a seventh-generation descendant of Sinjong of Goryeo, and the son of Wang Gyun. He married the daughter of No Chaek, Sun-bi of the No clan. In 1389, Yi Seonggye's supporters forced King Chang from the throne and enthroned King Gongyang in his stead. This faction went on to oversee the events of King Gongyang's brief reign, including the assassinations of King Gongyang's predecessors, King U and King Chang.
After the murder of Jeong Mong-ju, the last major supporter of the Goryeo kings, King Gongyang was deposed and the Goryeo dynasty came to the end. He was at first exiled to Wonju, then went to Samcheok where he died.
- Father: Wang Gyun, Grand Prince Jeongwon (정원부원군 왕균)
- Grandfather: Wang Yu, Prince Sunhwa (? – 1360) (순화후 왕유)
- Grandmother: Princess Consort Mahanguk of the Shin clan (마한국명예비 신씨)
- Mother: Grand Princess Samhanguk of the Kaesong Wang clan (삼한국대비 왕씨)
- Grandfather: Wang Hun, Grand Prince Yeondeok (연덕대군 왕훈)
- Grandmother: Lady Anui of the Jo clan (안의비 조씨)
- Royal Consort Sun-Bi of the Gyoha No clan (? – 1394) (순비 노씨)
- Wang Seok, Crown Prince Jeongseong (? – 1394) (정성군 왕석)
- Princess Suknyeong (숙녕궁주)
- Princess Jeongshin (? – 1421) (정신궁주)
- Princess Gyeeonghwa (경화궁주)
In popular cultureEdit
- Portrayed by Kim Jin-hae in the 1983 KBS TV series Foundation of the Kingdom.
- Portrayed by Kim Eung-cheol in the 1983 MBC TV series The King of Chudong Palace.
- Portrayed by Kim Yeong-seon in the 1996–1998 KBS TV series Tears of the Dragon.
- Portrayed by Kim Byeong-chun in the 2012–2013 SBS TV series The Great Seer.
- Portrayed by Nam Seong-jin in the 2014 KBS TV series Jeong Do-jeon.
- Portrayed by Lee Do-yeob in the 2015–2016 SBS TV series Six Flying Dragons.
Gongyang of GoryeoBorn: 9 March 1345 Died: 17 May 1394
| King of Goryeo