Beiqi Foton Motor Co., Ltd. (Foton Motor or Foton) is a Chinese company which designs and manufactures trucks, buses, sport utility vehicles and agricultural machinery. It is headquartered in Changping, Beijing and is a subsidiary of BAIC Group.
|Founded||August 28, 1996|
Shayang Rd., Changping, Beijing,
|Xiyong Zhang (Chairman & CEO)|
|Products||Automobiles, Commercial Vehicles, Tractors|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Beijing Foton Cummins Engine Co., Ltd. (50%)|
Beijing Foton Daimler Automotive Co., Ltd. (50%)
|Literal meaning||BAIC Foton Motor Co., Ltd.|
In addition to the heavier trucks, Foton also builds a copy of the Toyota HiAce H100, called the "Foton View" or "Foton Alpha".
In March 2006 Foton and Cummins Inc. announced the creation of a 50:50 joint venture company, Beijing Foton Cummins Engine Company (BFCEC), to produce light-duty diesel engines, of 2.8 and 3.8 liter displacement.
In January 2009 Foton and Daimler AG agreed to form a 50-50 joint venture for the production of medium- and heavy-duty trucks in China, with an initial investment of 6.35 billion yuan. Creation of the venture received the approval of the Chinese government in July 2010.
In October 2009 Foton agreed to form a joint venture to develop and produce vehicle batteries with Pulead Technology Industry Co.
In July 2010 Foton announced the establishment of a European headquarters in Moscow, Russia.
Foton established a sales company in India in April 2011.
Foton will build an assembly plant in Colombia, in order to participate in the growing Latin American market for light commercial vehicles. The company also plans to build a plant in Western Maharashtra, India.
Foton has announced a bus factory in Brazil in the state of Bahia, as part of their globalization plan. Foton has held a press conference in 2015, previewing the Sauvana while announcing news to bring the brand to the United States.
In September 2017 Foton and Piaggio agreed to form a joint venture to develop and produce light commercial vehicle. Based on Foton chassis the new vehicle was sold by Piaggio Commercial Vehicle division in Europe and in all market around the world but not in China. The vehicle was intended as a successor of the Piaggio Porter and production was planned to starts in the mid 2019 in Pontedera (Italy) with all components produced by Foton in China.
Foton is headquartered in Changping District, Beijing. Foton's business units are seen in cities and provinces such as Beijing, Tianjin, Shandong, Hebei, Hunan, Hubei, Liaoning, and Guangdong. Its R&D branches are distributed in Japan, Germany, Taiwan and The Philippines. It has assets exceeding 50 billion Yuan and 300,000 employees. Foton, whose brand value exceeds 61.932 billion Yuan in 2005, ranked No.1 in auto industry and No. 11 in the “Top 500 Most Valuable Brands”.
Foton business marquee also consists of a branch in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. Och motors LLC which is one of the biggest conglomerate in Mongolia, is the official distributor of Foton in Mongolian market.
Foton AUV (福田欧V)
- Foton AUV New Directions (since 2000; Original name:新干线欧V)
- Foton AUV panoramic Unlimited (since 2003; Original name:全景无限)
- Foton AUV Pioneer Europe (since 1998; Original name:欧V先锋)Brand name
- Foton Green Earth(Using city bus in Gangneung,South Korea.It was introduced in 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics.)
- Foton Auman Jones (since 2003, under license of Mercedes-Benz trucks; Original name:欧曼奇兵)
- Foton Auman Lion (since 2003, under license of Mercedes-Benz trucks; Original name:欧曼雄狮)
- Foton Auman Kunlun Mountains (since 2003, under license of Mercedes-Benz trucks; Original name:欧曼昆仑)
- Foton Auman Shenzhou (since 2003, under license of Mercedes-Benz trucks; Original name:欧曼神舟)
- Foton Auman H4 (since 2011)
Foton Aumark (欧马可)
- Foton Aumark (since 2005, Original name:欧马可)
Foton Forland (时代汽车)
- Foton Forland (Since 2006, Original name:时代轻卡)
- Foton Forland King Kong (since 1998 under license of a South American VW trucks; Original name:时代金刚)
- Foton Forland Ruiwo (since 1998 under license of a South American VW trucks; Original name:瑞沃)
Foton Ollin (奥铃)
- Foton Ollin Beyond (since 2005, Original name:奥铃超越)
- Foton Ollin MRI (since 2005, Original name:奥铃捷运)
Gratour MPVs (北京伽途)
- Gratour im6 (智爱MPV)
- Gratour im8 (智美运动家庭车)
- Gratour ix5 (1501cc;since 2016) (智行MPV)
- Gratour ix7 (1507cc;since 2016) (智趣S—MPV)
Foton Tunland (拓陆者) pickup
- Foton Tunland E3
- Foton Tunland E5
- Foton Tunland S
Foton Saga (since 2004 under license of DangDong -terrain vehicle; Original name:福田传奇)(Discontinued)
Foton SUP (since 2004 pickup based on the Saga; Original name:萨普)
Light Commercial VehiclesEdit
Foton MP-X (MP-X蒙派克) MPV
- Foton MP-X Parker Mongolia (since 2005; Original name: MP-X蒙派克)
Foton View (福田风景)
- Foton View G9 (since 2004 under license of the Toyota HiAce as the high top version)
- Foton View G7 (Also known as CS2; since 2004 under license of the Toyota HiAce as the low top version)
- Foton View V5 compact MPV
- Foton View V3 microvan
Foton Toano (since 2015) business class van/ minibus
Foton Xiangling (Original name:祥菱) light truck series (Discontinued)
- Foton Xiangling M
- Foton Xiangling V
Foton Midi (Discontinued)
Foton View Express (since 2001 under license of the Toyota HiAce, Original name:风景快运) (Discontinued)
Foton View Express Passenger (since 2000 under license of the Toyota HiAce, Original name:风景快客) (Discontinued)
Foton View Ireland Act (since 1999 under license of the Toyota HiAce, Original name:风景爱尔法) (Discontinued)
Foton Motor sold a total of 640,400 vehicles in 2011.
- Daimler aims to nearly triple China sales by 2015 reuters.com, Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12am EDT
- Mr. Heyi Xu，the president of Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd. delivered a speech at the 2009 China (Changchun) International Automobile Forum Archived 2010-02-16 at the Wayback Machine BAIC Official Site, 2009-07-20
- "Cummins to create joint venture with Foton". China Daily. 30 October 2006. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Cummins to Form Joint Venture in China". Inside Indiana Business. 7 March 2006. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Daimler enters China truck market". The New York Times. 7 January 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "China's Foton, Daimler to form $929 mln truck JV". Reuters. 6 January 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Daimler gets approval for truck JV with China's Foton". The Economic Times. 16 July 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Foton and Daimler in Truck Joint Venture". ChinaAutoWeb.com.
- "Foton JV taps new energy". China Daily. 27 October 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Beiqi Foton opens Europe HQ, Russia unit in Moscow". Gasgoo. 1 July 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Foton to open Indian sales branch". Gasgoo. 24 April 2011. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- India, Press Trust Of (2 May 2011). "China's Foton selects West Maharashtra for Rs 1,676 cr plant". Retrieved 12 April 2018 – via Business Standard.
- Line, A TARDE On. "Página principal do Portal A TARDE". uol.com.br. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Foton Caminhões". www.fotonmotors.com.br. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Piaggio and Foton joint venture
- Piaggio Accordo con Foton per il nuovo Porter
- Foton Motor Group - Basic Information
- "2014 Guangzhou Auto Show: Foton Sauvana SUV debuts in China".
- "Beiqi Foton's 2011 profits slump 30%". China Daily. 2 March 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2013.