Location of Haidian District in Beijing
|Coordinates (Haidian government): Coordinates:|
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Township-level divisions||22 subdistricts|
|• Total||431 km2 (166 sq mi)|
|• Density||7,600/km2 (20,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
It is 431 square km in area, making it the second-largest district in urban Beijing (after Chaoyang), and is home to 2,240,124 inhabitants (2000 Census); however, in comparison to other districts, a higher percentage of its inhabitants do not have the governmental residential certificates for long-term residence, because Haidian District is where most universities are located and therefore many[quantify] of its inhabitants are college students.
Since 1992, Haidian District has signed official papers and established Sister City relationship with 14 cities and districts from 10 countries of 4 continents. Some sister cities are shown below:
- Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States (8 February 2008)
- Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States (15 April 1998)
- Savonlinna, Finland (9 March 2016)
- Olympia, Peloponnesus, Greece (28 February 2008)
- Groningen, Netherlands (19/10/2004)
- Bures-sur-Yvette, Massy, Palaiseau, in Paris Region, France (4 October 1994)
The administrative division of the district was reported as follows:
|Name||Chinese (S)||Hanyu Pinyin||Population (2010)||Area (km2)|
|Wanshou Road Subdistrict||万寿路街道||Wànshòulù Jiēdào||172,456||8.90|
|Yongding Road Subdistrict||永定路街道||Yǒngdìnglu Jiēdào||49,346||0.70|
|Yangfangdian Subdistrict||羊坊店街道||Yángfāngdiàn Jiēdào||127,134||6.61|
|Ganjiakou Subdistrict||甘家口街道||Gānjiākǒu Jiēdào||118,455||6.50|
|Balizhuang Subdistrict||八里庄街道||Bālǐzhuāng Jiēdào||135,984||4.40|
|Zizhuyuan Subdistrict||紫竹院街道||Zǐzhúyuàn Jiēdào||138,411||6.23|
|Beixiaguan Subdistrict||北下关街道||Běixiàguān Jiēdào||158,776||6.04|
|Beitaipingzhuang Subdistrict||北太平庄街道||Běitàipíngzhuāng Jiēdào||201,614||5.17|
|Xueyuan Road Subdistrict||学院路街道||Xuéyuànlù Jiēdào||243,307||8.49|
|Zhongguancun Subdistrict||中关村街道||Zhōngguāncūn Jiēdào||159,637||6.23|
|Haidian Subdistrict||海淀街道||Hǎidiàn Jiēdào||144,700||5.00|
|Qinglongqiao Subdistrict||青龙桥街道||Qīnglóngqiáo Jiēdào||128,887||15.50|
|Qinghuayuan Subdistrict||清华园街道||Qīnghuáyuán Jiēdào||51,785||2.70|
|Yanyuan Subdistrict||燕园街道||Yànyuán Jiēdào||37,548||1.84|
|Xiangshan Subdistrict||香山街道||Xiāngshān Jiēdào||28,535||25.37|
|Qinghe Subdistrict||清河街道||Qīnghé Jiēdào||139,752||9.37|
|Huayuan Road Subdistrict||花园路街道||Huāyuánlù Jiēdào||148,829||6.30|
|Xisanqi Subdistrict||西三旗街道||Xīsānqí Jiēdào||144,126||8.70|
|Malianwa Subdistrict||马连洼街道||Mǎliánwā Jiēdào||106,585||5.50|
|Tiancun Road Subdistrict||田村路街道||Tiáncūnlù Jiēdào||106,744||7.70|
|Shangdi Subdistrict||上地街道||Shàngdì Jiēdào||102,105||9.40|
|Shuguang Subdistrict||曙光街道||Shǔguāng Jiēdào||102,397||9.61|
|Wanliu Area (Haidian town)||万柳地区(海淀镇)||Wànliǔ Dìqū (Hǎidiàn Zhèn)||28,062||41.90|
|Dongsheng (town) Area||东升(镇)地区||Dōngshēng (Zhèn) Dìqū||49,852||45.20|
|Wenquan (town) Area||温泉(镇)地区||Wēnquán (Zhèn) Dìqū||50,800||33.23|
|Sijiqing (town) Area||四季青(镇)地区||Sìjìqīng (Zhèn) Dìqū||170,579||40.83|
|Xibeiwang (town) Area||西北旺(镇)地区||Xīběiwàng (Zhèn) Dìqū||142,664||51.02|
|Sujiatuo (town) Area||苏家坨(镇)地区||Sūjiātuó (Zhèn) Dìqū||46,786||84.51|
|Shangzhuang (town) Area||上庄(镇)地区||Shàngzhuāng (Zhèn) Dìqū||44,814||38.45|
Haidian was originally a village outside of Beijing's Inner City. It was first built in the Yuan Dynasty and became one of the eight major business areas of the capital during the Qing Dynasty and was the seat of such old shops as Lotus White, Quanjude and Hongbin House. The famed Old Summer Palace and Summer Palace, two grand imperial gardens are also among its reputed features. It became a university district after the building of the Tsinghua University and Yenching University campus in the early twentieth century. It is mentioned in Lao She's novel Camel Xiangzi as an academic village for students. After the foundation of the People's Republic, it was deliberately developed as a university area, with many of the Yan'an institutions moving there. It officially became an administrative district in June 1954. Since the reform and opening up, it has become the centre of China's IT industry. In the words of Time magazine:
|“||Like Paris' Champs Elysées or New York's Broadway, Haidian is a celebration of a national myth: China's ability to change itself and become, once again, great among nations.||”|
- Line 1 - Wukesong, Wanshoulu, Gongzhufen, Military Museum
- Line 4 - Anheqiao North, Beigongmen, Xiyuan, Yuanmingyuan Park, East Gate of Peking University, Zhongguancun, Haidianhuangzhuang , Renmin University, Weigongcun, National Library
- Line 6 - Haidian Wuluju, Cishousi , Huayuanqiao, Baishiqiao South
- Line 8 - Yuxin, Xixiaokou, Yongtaizhuang
- Line 9 - National Library , Baishiqiao South , Baiduizi, Military Museum
- Line 10 - Lianhuaqiao, Gongzhufen , Xidiaoyutai, Cishousi , Chedaogou, Changchunqiao, Huoqiying, Bagou, Suzhoujie, Haidianhuangzhuang , Zhichunli, Zhichunlu , Xitucheng, Mudanyuan, Jiandemen
- Line 13 - Dazhongsi, Zhichunlu , Wudaokou, Shangdi, Xi'erqi
- Line 15 - Qinghuadongluxikou, Liudaokou, Beishatan
- Changping line - Xi'erqi
- Line S2 - Qinghuayuan, Qinghe
Government and infrastructureEdit
A central part of Haidian's economy, the Zhongguancun electronics district, hosts the Beijing offices of many software and computer-technology companies.
- Baidu has its headquarters in the Baidu Campus.
- Sohu has its headquarters in the Sohu.com Internet Plaza.
- Sinosteel's headquarters are in the Sinosteel Plaza (simplified Chinese: 中钢国际广场; traditional Chinese: 中鋼國際廣場; pinyin: Zhōnggāng Guójì Guǎngchǎng) in Haidian District.
- Youku has its headquarters on the fifth floor of Sinosteel Plaza.
- Wumart has its headquarters in the Wumart Commercial Building (物美商业大厦; 物美商業大廈; Wù Měi Shāngyè Dàshà) in Haidian District.
- aigo's head office is in the Ideal Plaza (理想国际大厦; 理想國際大廈; Lǐxiǎng Guójì Dàshà) in the Haidian District.
- China Postal Airlines has its headquarters on the 11th through 14th floors of the Ziyu Office Building (紫玉写字楼; 紫玉寫字樓; Zǐyù Xiězìlóu) in Haidian District.
- The Beijing Civil Aircraft Technology Research Center of COMAC (北京民用飞机技术研究中心) has its offices on the 8th floor of the Beijing Olympic Building (北京奥运大厦; 北京奧運大廈; Běijīng Àoyùn Dàshà) in Haidian District.
- Xiaomi has its headquarters in the Office Building of Huarun Wucai City (华润五彩城写字楼; 華潤五彩城寫字樓; Huárùn Wǔcǎi Chéng Xiězìlóu).
- Google has its Beijing office in Tsinghua Science Park Bldg 6
- Everbright International has its Beijing office in the Beijing International Building (北京国际大厦) in Zhongguancun.
Institutions of higher education in Haidian include:
- Beihang University (formerly Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics)
- Beijing Film Academy
- Beijing Forestry University
- Beijing Institute of Technology
- Beijing Jiaotong University
- Beijing Language and Culture University
- Beijing Normal University
- Capital Normal University
- China Agricultural University
- China University of Geosciences Beijing
- China University of Political Science and Law
- Minzu University of China (formerly Central University for Nationalities)
- Peking University
- Renmin University of China
- Tsinghua University
- University of International Relations
- University of Science and Technology Beijing
Primary and secondary educationEdit
The Beijing Municipal Commission of Education (simplified Chinese: 北京市教育委员会; traditional Chinese: 北京市教育委員會; pinyin: Běijīng Shì Jiàoyùwěiyuánhuì), the local education authority, has its headquarters in the Beijing Olympic Building.
Institutions of secondary education include:
Private schools include:
Important areas in Haidian DistrictEdit
- Old Summer Palace (Yuanmingyuan)
- Summer Palace
- Fragrant Hills (Xiangshan or Jingyi Palace)
- Beijing Botanical Garden(Beijing Zhiwuyuan)
- Jade Spring Hill(Jingming Palace)
- Haidian Park
- Purple Bamboo Park (Zizhuyuan)
- Yuyuantan Park
- Diaoyutai State Guesthouse
- Microsoft Research Asia
- Baidu headquarters
- Sinosteel Plaza
- Haidian Christian Church
Haidian's Technology hubsEdit
- These towns are officially classified as subdistricts, but as they coincide with the area of the same name, they are commonly named "areas" (地区).
- Harry's World Atlas
- Census Office of the State Council of the People's Republic of China; Population and Employment Statistics Division of the National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China (2012). 中国2010人口普查分乡、镇、街道资料 (1 ed.). Beijing: China Statistics Print. ISBN 978-7-5037-6660-2.
- University of Texas Perry–Castañeda Library Map Collection: A portion of "Originalkarte der Ebene von Peking und des Gebirkslandes im Westen und Norden der Capitale" from Mittheilungen aus Justus Perthes' Geographischer Anstalt uber Wichtige Neue Erforschungen auf dem Gesammtgebiete der Geographie von Dr. A. Petermann. Erganzungsband 10, 1876.
- Beijing Haidian District People's Government (7 December 2007), Special Shopping Areas in Haidian District. Accessed 19 October 2008. NB: this page only loads correctly in Internet Explorer.
- Tang Yangkai (2008). "Haidian District::Beijing's 'Smart Reservoir'". Beijing Review (7).
- Joshua Cooper Ramo (27 September 1999). "HAIDIAN DISTRICT: China's Silicon Valley, 1999". Time. 154 (12). Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- Wang, Wenfei, Shangyi Zhou, and C. Cindy Fan. "Growth and Decline of Muslim Hui Enclaves in Beijing" (Archive). Eurasian Geography and Economics, 2002, 43, No. 2, pp. 104-122. Cited page: p. 117.
- Home page in Chinese. China National Space Administration. Retrieved on February 26, 2016. "地址：北京市海淀区阜成路甲8号 邮编:100048"
- Home. State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs. Retrieved on July 12, 2017. "邮编：100873 地址：北京中关村南大街一号5号楼 "
- "IR Contacts." Baidu. Retrieved on 27 December 2010. "Address: Baidu Campus, No. 10, Shangdi 10th Street, Haidian District, Beijing 100085 People's Republic of China."
- "Contact Us." Sohu. Retrieved on 27 December 2010. "Headquarter Office Sohu.com Internet Plaza, No.1 Park, Zhongguancun East Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100084, PRC ."
- "Sohu.com." CNN Money. Retrieved on 19 August 2009.
- "Contact Us." Sinosteel. Retrieved on 18 November 2012. "Sinosteel Plaza,8 Haidian St., Beijing, P.R.China" - See map and directions in English - Chinese: "中国北京海淀区海淀大街8号中钢国际广场" - See map and directions in Chinese
- 版权声明. Youku. Retrieved 27 December 2010.
- "Contact Us." Youku. Retrieved on 27 December 2010. "Beijing 5th Floor, Sinosteel Plaza, 8 Haidian Dajie, Haidian District, Beijing, 100080, China."
- "Interim Report 2011." (Archive) Wumart. Retrieved on 12 October 2012. "ADDRESS OF HEAD OFFICE Wumart Commercial Building 158-1 West 4th Ring North Road Haidian District Beijing P. R. China" and "LEGAL ADDRESS IN CHINA Room 5610 1 Shixingdong Street Badachu HighTech Park District Shijingshan District Beijing The PRC"
- "Contact Us Archived 12 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine." aigo. Retrieved on July 25, 2013. "aigo Digital Technology Co., Ltd. Add: 10-11th Floor, Ideal Plaza, No.58, West Road, North 4th Ring Road, Beijing, 100080, China" Chinese address Archived 24 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine: "北京市北四环西路58号理想国际大厦11层"
- 联系我们. China Postal Airlines. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- "Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China, Ltd." (Archive) COMAC. Retrieved on January 10, 2014.
- 联系方式 (Contact Us). Official website of Xiaomi (in Chinese). Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- "Google locations." Google. Retrieved on May 25, 2016. "Google Beijing Tsinghua Science Park Bldg 6 No. 1 Zhongguancun East Road Haidian District"
- "Contact Us". Everbright International. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
Flat 1603, Block B, Beijing International Building, No. 18, Nanda Street Jia, Zhongguancun, Haidian District, Beijing, PRC- Traditional Chinese address: " 北京市海澱區中關村南大街甲18號北京國際大廈B座1603室" - Simplified Chinese address: "北京市海淀区中关村南大街甲18号北京国际大厦B座1603室"
- "联系我们" (Contact Us) (Archive). Beijing Municipal Commission of Education. Retrieved on January 10, 2014. "北京市教育委员会地址：海淀区北四环中路267号北京奥运大厦"
- Home page (Archive). Beijing Municipal Commission of Education. Retrieved on January 10, 2014. "地址：海淀区北四环中路267号北京奥运大厦 邮政编码：100083"
- "Location." Beijing Haidian Foreign Language Shi Yan School. Retrieved on June 7, 2014. "Address：No.20, Xingshikou Road, Haidian District, Beijing,100195 P.R.China" - Address in Chinese: "地址： 北京市海淀区杏石口路20号 邮编： 100195"
- FIB Members Archived 17 February 2016 at the Wayback Machine, read 20 February 2016