Sixteen teams qualified for the Olympic tournament after continental qualifying rounds. Three Warsaw Pact countries had qualified but withdrew as part of the Soviet-led boycott. They were replaced as follows:
- East Germany were replaced by Norway
- USSR were replaced by West Germany
- Czechoslovakia were replaced by Italy
The European Qualifiers for the 1984 Summer Olympics tournament took place in 4 groups between 23 March 1983 and 22 April 1984. France, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Soviet Union and Yugoslavia gained qualification to the Olympic tournament. Czechoslovakia was replaced by Italy, East Germany was replaced by Norway and Soviet Union was replaced by West Germany.
The African Qualifiers tournament for the 1984 Summer Olympics took place over a total of four rounds between 3 March 1983 and 26 February 1984. After the fourth round, Cameroon, Egypt and Morocco gained qualification to the Olympic tournament.
- "Olympic Football Tournaments Los Angeles 1984". FIFA.
- "Olympic Football Tournament 1984 (Qualifying Stage)". www.linguasport.com.