Florida Man is an Internet meme, popularized in 2013, in which the phrase “Florida Man” is interpreted as the name of the same individual in multiple unrelated news articles, rather than a description of various actual men who hail from or live in Florida. Internet users typically submit links to news stories and articles about unusual or strange crimes or events occurring in Florida, particularly those where "Florida Man" is mentioned in the headline and has been wreaking havoc. The meme calls attention to Florida's supposed notoriety for strange and unusual activity. Miami New Times noted that freedom of information laws in Florida make it easier for journalists to obtain information about arrests from the police than in other states and that this is responsible for the large number of news articles.
The meme was originated in February 2013 by the Twitter feed @_FloridaMan, which quoted news headlines containing the words "Florida man", such as "Florida man run over by van after dog pushes accelerator" or "Police arrest Florida man for drunken joy ride on motorized scooter at Wal-Mart." The feed refers to Florida Man as the "World's Worst Superhero."
Florida already had a colorful reputation on the Internet, with the social aggregation site Fark having had a Florida tag for years before the Florida Man Twitter feed appeared. However, after the creation of the Twitter feed in January 2013, and its simultaneous popularization on social media sites Reddit and Tumblr (initially through the subreddit r/FloridaMan and the Tumblr blog StuckInABucket), the meme was featured in numerous news articles and stories throughout February 2013.
- Siegel, Robert (14 February 2013). "'Florida Man' On Twitter Collects Real Headlines About World's Worst Superhero". National Public Radio. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- Kyle Munzenrieder (2015-05-12). "How Florida's Proud Open Government Laws Lead to the Shame of "Florida Man" News Stories". Miami New Times.
- Lacapria, Kim (21 February 2013). "Florida Man Is Twitter's 'Worst Superhero'". Social News Daily. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- Zimmerman, Neetzan (11 February 2013). "'Florida Man' Personifies Everything That's Messed Up About Florida". Gawker Media. Gawker. Archived from the original on 7 December 2014. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- Davis, Lauren (10 February 2013). "Florida Man is the nation's worst superhero". Gawker Media. io9. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- FX Networks (2018-03-02), Atlanta | Season 2 Ep. 1: Florida Man Scene | FX, retrieved 2018-09-14
- Comedy Central (November 2, 2018). "Who is "Florida Man"? Desi Lydic Investigates | The Daily Show". The Daily Show. YouTube. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- Holt, Kris (8 February 2013). ""Florida Man" is pretty much the worst person ever". The Daily Dot. Retrieved 5 December 2014.