Evgeny Mikhailovich Rylov (Russian: Евгений Михайлович Рылов; born 23 September 1996) is a Russian competitive swimmer who specializes in backstroke events. He has won three gold medals at the 2014 Summer Youth Olympics in Nanjing, and a bronze on his major debut at the 2015 FINA World Championships in Kazan. He also won a bronze at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio and a gold at 2017 Fina World Championships in Budapest, both were from the 200 m backstroke event. He currently represents Energy Standard in the International Swimming League.
Rylov at the 2015 World Championships
|Full name||Evgeny Mikhailovich Rylov|
|Born||23 September 1996|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||69 kg (152 lb)|
|Club||Energy Standard International Swim Club|
Rylov first established himself on the world scene at the 2014 Summer Youth Olympics in Nanjing, China, where he achieved a total of four medals, three golds and one silver, and broke two junior world swimming records. In the boys' 100 m backstroke, Rylov shared the top prize with Italy's Simone Sabbioni in a matching time of 54.24 seconds. On 20 August, he put up a sterling effort of 25.09 to crush the world junior record and pick up his second gold of the meet in the 50 m backstroke, touching out Greece's Apostolos Christou by 0.35 of a second. Less than an hour later, Rylov and his teammates Anton Chupkov, Aleksandr Sadovnikov, and Filipp Shopin led throughout the race to capture the 4×100 m medley relay title in a junior world-record breaking time of 3:38.02. On the final night of the Games, Rylov added a silver to his medal tally in the 200 m backstroke with a time of 1:57.08, losing the title and his chance of breaking another record to China's Li Guangyuan by 14-hundredths of a second.
When his nation Russia hosted the 2015 FINA World Championships in Kazan, Rylov charged his way to round out the podium with a third-place time of 1:54.60 in the 200 m backstroke. Earlier in the meet, Rylov also posted a time of 53.23 to place seventh in the finals of the 100 m backstroke, missing out the podium by more than half a second.
At the World Championships in July 2017, Rylov broke the European record in the 200 m backstroke with a time of 1:53.61. defeating the reigning Olympic Gold Medalist Ryan Murphy in the process. The swim places Rylov as the sixth fastest man to ever swim the 200 m backstroke while only Aaron Peirsol, Ryosuke Irie, Ryan Lochte, Mitch Larkin and Tyler Clary have swum faster.
International Swimming LeagueEdit
In the Autumn of 2019 he was member of the inaugural International Swimming League swimming for the Energy Standard International Swim Club, who won the team title in Las Vegas, Nevada, in December. He won the 100m and 200m Backstrokes at both the Naples and London matches after winning just the 100m Backstroke in Naples.
- "Рылов напомнил России о медалях" [Rylov reminded Russia about the medals] (in Russian). Gazeta.ru. 7 August 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Youth Olympic Games: Liliana Szilagyi Vaults to 3rd in World in 200 Fly". Swimming World Magazine. 18 August 2014. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Youth Olympic Games: World Junior Records Bonanza on Night Four". Russian News Agency TASS. 20 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Russian swimmer Rylov wins gold at 2014 Youth Olympics in China". Swimming World Magazine. 20 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Nanjing provides perfect springboard for Rio". Swimming World Magazine. 3 October 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Youth Olympic Games: World Junior Record Bonanza on Final Night". Swimming World Magazine. 22 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Mitch Larkin Breaks American Streak in 200 Back at 2015 FINA World Championships". Swimming World Magazine. 7 August 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Mitchell Larkin Clips Top Field For 100 Back Title at 2015 FINA World Championships". Swimming World Magazine. 4 August 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Evgeny Rylov Confines Kawecki's Euro 200 Back Standard To History in 1:54.2". Swimvortex. 21 April 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "MEN'S 200 BACK FINAL IN BUDAPEST WITH RYLOV-MURPHY-PEBLEY". SwimSwam. 28 July 2017. Retrieved 28 July 2017.
- Евгений Рылов завоевал золото чемпионата мира на 200-метровке на спине
- "Club Rosters – International Swimming League". Retrieved 2020-04-17.
- "2019 International Swimming League", Wikipedia, 2020-04-17, retrieved 2020-04-17
- Evgeny Rylov at FINA
- Evgeny Rylov at Olympics at Sports-Reference.com (archived)
- Nanjing 2014 Profile
- Eurosport Bio
| Men's 200 metre backstroke
European record holder (long course)
8 August 2018 – present