2017 World Aquatics Championships
|17th FINA World Championships|
|Host city||Budapest, Hungary|
Alfréd Hajós National Swimming Stadium,
|Mixed||3 m||10 m|
|Open water swimming|
On July 15, 2011, at the biennial General Congress of FINA in Shanghai, the host-city of the 2017 World Aquatics Championships, Guadalajara, Mexico was announced as the winning bid. Kazan, Russia was awarded the 2015 Championships in the same vote, whereas the rival bid from Hong Kong, China was left unrewarded. Guangzhou (China) and Montreal (Canada) withdrew their bids shortly before the vote.
In February 2015, Mexico withdrew from hosting the world championships with organizers saying they could not afford the $100 million price tag that goes with hosting the multi-sport aquatic event. On 11 March 2015, it was announced that Budapest would host the 2017 Championships.
The two main competition venues will be located in Budapest: Danube Arena, a brand-new indoor swimming pool complex for swimming and diving on the eastern bank of the Danube just north of Margaret Island, and the existing Alfréd Hajós National Swimming Stadium, on Margaret Island itself, for water polo. Open water swimming events will be held at Lake Balaton. High diving and synchronised swimming will be held at temporary venues in Budapest.
|●||Opening ceremony||●||Other competitions||●||Finals||●||Closing ceremony||M||Men's matches||W||Women's matches|
|Open water swimming||●||●||●||●||●||●|
- FINA Announces Dates for 2017 World Championships; Masters Worlds to Follow published by SwimSwam on 2014-06-17.
-  Archived 20 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine. (Kazan (RUS) and Guadalajara (MEX), next organisers ); posted by the Federation Internationale de Natation (FINA) on 2011-07-15; retrieved 2011-08-01.
- «México renuncia al Mundial de Natación 2017 por falta de dinero». El Mundo, February 18, 2015.
- Budapest (HUN) to host FINA World Championships in 2017 Archived 27 August 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- Budapest's New Pool To Host FINA Words in 2017 posted by swimvortex.com; retrieved 2013-07-23.