Erick Thohir (born 30 May 1970) is an Indonesian businessman. He is the founder and chairman of Mahaka Group, a holding company which focuses on media and entertainment. He is also the former owner of Inter Milan and D.C. United, Director of Oxford United and President Director of antv and President of the Indonesian Olympic Committee.
Erick Thohir in 2012
|Alma mater||Glendale Community College (California) (B.A.) |
National University (California) (M.B.A.)
|Known for||Vice President Commissioner of Mahaka Media|
Former owner of Inter Milan
Owner of Persib Bandung
Former owner of D.C. United
President Director of Visi Media Asia
President of INASGOC
President Director of antv
Director of Oxford United
Early and personal lifeEdit
Erick Thohir was born on 30 May 1970. He was born in a Muslim family and is practicing. His father, Teddy Thohir, was a co-owner of the automotive group Astra International with William Soeryadjaya. His brother, Garibaldi Thohir, is an investment banker and entrepreneur in the energy sector. He also has a sister, Rika Thohir. As a child, the younger Thohir helped the family business.
Currently, Thohir's family holding company, TNT Group, has large investments in the Indonesian energy, foods, property and media industries. In 2015, the TNT group had a revenue of $1.1 billion.
In 2001, the Mahaka Group bought Republika, the biggest Islamic newspaper in Indonesia. Because of Thohir's background in communications, he was chosen to lead the paper. He received support from his father, as well as founder of Kompas Jakob Oetama and founder of Jawa Pos Dahlan Iskan to run this newspaper. The Mahaka Group spread its potential by investing in the outdoor advertising company Mahaka Advertising due to the growth of the economic and the city size in 2002.
After launching the television station Jak TV, Mahaka introduced the radio stations 98.7 Gen FM and 101 Jak FM, and participated in PT Radionet Cipta Karya (Prambors FM, Delta FM and FeMale Radio), as well as numerous advertising, ticketing, entertainment and digital companies.
Thohir is the founder of Darma Bakti Mahaka Foundation.
In 2011, together with Anindya Bakrie hw co-owned the television stations tvOne, as well as the internet news site Viva News. In 2014, he was involved in a turnaround project and became the President Director of antv.
Sports team ownershipEdit
After negotiations started after the 2011 NBA All-Star Game with former basketball agent Jason Levien and managing owner Joshua Harris, Thohir became part of the consortia that bought the Philadelphia 76ers. The consortia included actor Will Smith, his wife Jada Pinkett Smith, David S. Blitzer, of the private equity firm Blackstone Group and Indonesian businessman Handy Soetedjo. Comcast-Spectacor and Harris began talks in the summer of 2011. The deal was announced on 13 July 2011.
In addition to his business, Thohir also owns the basketball team, Satria Muda, and served as an honorary board member of the Indonesian Basketball Association (PERBASI / Persatuan Bola Basket Seluruh Indonesia) from 2015 to 2019. He has been President of SEABA (Southeast Asian Basketball Association) since 2006. He was a FIBA board member, Chef De Mission of Indonesia Contingent for the Olympic Games London 2012, and Chairman of National Olympic Committee for 2015–2019.
- D.C. United (formerly, until 2018)
- Inter Milan (formerly, until 2019)
- Persib Bandung (Commissioners)
- Oxford United (Board Member)
Chairman of Inter MilanEdit
In September 2013, Inter Milan chairman (Italian: presidente, lit. 'president') and owner Massimo Moratti confirmed that he was in discussions to sell a majority 70% stake in the club to Thohir. On 15 October 2013, after a long negotiation, International Sports Capital HK Limited, led by Thohir (for 60% stake), Handy Soetedjo (20%) and Rosan Roeslani (20%), became the majority shareholder of Inter Milan, acquiring a 70% stake of the club by a subscription of new shares. On 15 November 2013, the club's general meeting appointed Thohir as new chairman of the board of directors of Inter Milan, replacing Moratti, who would remain with the club as honorary chairman. Moratti left the position in late October 2014. During Thohir's presidency, former Inter star Javier Zanetti was hired as vice president (Italian: vice president [sic]) in 2014.
In June 2016, Thohir sold part of his stake in the club (via International Sports Capital) to Suning Holdings Group, chaired by Chinese billionaire entrepreneur Zhang Jindong. Thohir remained as the chairman of the club, as well as its second largest shareholder. On 26 October 2018, Zhang Jindong's son, Zhang Kangyang (Steven Zhang) became the new chairman, replacing Thohir.
On 25 January 2019, FC Internazionale Milano S.p.A (the legal entity of Inter Milan) officially announced that LionRock Capital from Hong Kong reached an agreement with International Sports Capital HK Limited, in order to acquire its 31.05% shares in Inter Milan and to become the new minority shareholder in the Milanese football club.
- "Board of Commissioner". Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "LionRock Capital Acquires 31.05% of Internazionale Milano S.p.A". Retrieved 26 January 2019.
- "Ownership". Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Indonesia Asian Games Organizing Committee, National Organizing Committee of Asian Games 2018| Asian Games 2018". Asian Games 2018. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "Erick Thohir becomes first Asian to own NBA team". The Jakarta Post. 20 October 2011. Archived from the original on 12 January 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Veda, Titania (22 July 2009). "Indonesian Media Manager a Man On a Mission". Jakarta Globe. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Nonto, Albertus Weldison; Soegiarto, Yanto (30 June 2011). "New media magnates". Globe Asia. Archived from the original on 12 January 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Indonesia president picks Asian Games chief to run re-election..." Reuters. 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Satwiko, Wimbo (23 October 2011). "Media Magnate Breaks New Ground With Philadelphia 76ers". Jakarta Globe. Archived from the original on 12 January 2012. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- ESPN: "Group led by Joshua Harris completes purchase of Sixers" Archived 18 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine 18 October 2011
- Sale of 76ers to Joshua Harris finished. ESPN, 2011-07-13.
- "PP Pengurus PP PERBASI". 26 February 2016.
- Goff, Steven (7 August 2018). "D.C. United announces changes to its investment group". Washington Post. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "STRUKTUR ORGANISASI" (in Indonesian). Persib Bandung. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "Erick Thohir: Former Inter Milan owner joins Oxford United board". BBC Sport. 8 November 2018. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Inter Milan deny £300m takeover by Erick Thohir has been agreed". BBC Sport. 20 September 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Moratti vede Thohir. Primo faccia a faccia per l'Inter indonesiana". La Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian). 28 May 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "FC Internazionale Milano SpA signs an agreement to open capital to new investors". F.C. Internazionale Milano. 21 January 2015. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- "Inter, Thohir nuovo presidente nerazzurro. Massimo Moratti sarà presidente onorario". Corriere della Sera. 22 November 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Official: Moratti quits Inter". Football Italia. London: Tiro Media. Retrieved 26 January 2019.
- "organigramma" [Org Chart] (in Italian). Milan: F.C. Internazionale Milano. 26 October 2018. Archived from the original on 26 October 2018. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- "Suning Holdings Group acquires majority stake of F.C. Internazionale Milano". F.C. Internazionale Milano. 6 June 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "Soccer: Steven Zhang is new president of Inter - English". ANSA.it. 26 October 2018. Retrieved 26 January 2019.
- "LionRock Capital Acquires 31.05% of FC Internazionale Milano S.p.A." (Press release). F.C. Internazionale. Retrieved 26 January 2019.