Equestrian at the 1900 Summer Olympics
At the 1900 Summer Olympics, five equestrian events were contested. Three of these had been considered "Olympic" by the International Olympic Committee in the past. The IOC website currently has affirmed a total of 95 medal events, after accepting, as it appears, the recommendation of Olympic historian Bill Mallon for events that should be considered "Olympic". These additional events include the other two equestrian events. It is not certain how many competitors there were, but it is likely that there were between 37 and 64. Calculation of number of competitors is complicated by the fact that a rider might enter an event multiple times on different horses. Five nations competed in the Olympic jumping events, with three more (Germany, Spain, and Austria) in the other two competitions. There were two female riders: Elvira Guerra, who competed in the hacks and hunter combined event, as well as a Frenchwoman "Moulin", whose first name is not known.
at the Games of the II Olympiad
|Venue||7th arrondissement of Paris (south of the Place de Breteuil)|
|No. of events||5|
|Competitors||58 from 8 nations|
|Totals (3 nations)||6||4||5||15|
|Georges Van Der Poele
|Louis de Champsavin|
|none awarded||Georges Van Der Poele|
||Constant van Langhendonck
|Gian Giorgio Trissino
|Camille de La Forgue de Bellegarde|
|Hacks and hunter
||Louis Napoléon Murat
|Robert de Montesquiou-Fézensac|
|Jean de Neuflize|
An estimated total of 60 riders from 6 nations (excluding riders known to have competed only in the non-jumping events) competed at the Paris Games:
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill; et al. "Equestrianism at the 1900 Paris Summer Games". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 17 April 2020. Retrieved 12 April 2020.
- "Paris 1900". International Olympic Committee. Archived from the original on 2 June 2016. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- Mallon, Bill (1998). The 1900 Olympic Games, Results for All Competitors in All Events, with Commentary. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, Inc. ISBN 978-0-7864-4064-1.
- Mallon has 47 known competitors, giving no estimate for unknowns. Most of the known competitors are in the four-in-hand mail coach event. De Wael claims 16 unknowns and adds a 48th name to the known list, for a total of 64. Both sources include all five events.
- Equestrianism at the 1900 Paris Summer Games: Mixed Hacks And Hunter Combined. Sports Reference. Retrieved 2018-05-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Equestrian sports at the 1900 Summer Olympics.|
- International Olympic Committee medal winners database
- De Wael, Herman. Herman's Full Olympians: "Equestrian 1900". Accessed 19 January 2006. Available electronically at .
- Mallon, Bill (1998). The 1900 Olympic Games, Results for All Competitors in All Events, with Commentary. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers. ISBN 0-7864-0378-0.