Divisions of Bangladesh
The administration of Bangladesh is divided into eight major regions called divisions (বিভাগ bibhag). Each division is named after the major city within its jurisdiction that also serves as the administrative headquarters of that division. Each division is further split into several districts (জেলা jela) which are then further sub-divided into Upazilas (উপজেলা upôjela).
|Divisions of Bangladesh|
|Populations||8,325,666 (Barisal) – 36,054,418 (Dhaka)|
|Areas||10,584.06 km2 (4,086.53 sq mi) (Mymensingh) – 33,908.55 km2 (13,092.16 sq mi) (Chittagong)|
|Government||Government of Bangladesh|
In 1993, Barisal Division was split off from Khulna Division; in 1995, Sylhet Division was split off from Chittagong Division; and in 2010 (25 January), Rangpur Division was split off from Rajshahi Division. In terms of area the newly formed Rangpur Division ranked fifth followed by Barisal Division and Sylhet Division.
Divisional Commissioner is the administrative head of a division. Divisional Commissioner is appointed by the government from an Additional Secretary of B.C.S. Administration Cadre. The role of a Divisional Commissioner's office is to act as the supervisory head of all the government Offices (except the central government offices) situated in the division. A Divisional Commissioner is given the direct responsibility of supervising the revenue and development administration of a division. The Divisional Commissioner is assisted by the several Additional Divisional Commissioners, Senior Assistant Commissioners and other bureaucratic officials. 
List of divisionsEdit
The following table outlines some key statistics about the eight divisions of Bangladesh as found in the 2011 Population and Housing Census conducted by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics.
|Division||Headquarter||Subdivisions||Area (km2)||Population (2011)||Density (people/|
- "Divisions of Bangladesh". Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Divisional And District Commissioners Are Important For A Prosperous Bangladesh: PM". Archived from the original on 11 November 2017. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- Independent, The. "New divisional commissioner joins".
- "2011 Population & Housing Census: Preliminary Results" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 January 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "3 new divisions to be formed". Archived from the original on 15 February 2015. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "ময়মনসিংহ বিভাগ গঠনে কাজ শুরুর নির্দেশ প্রধানমন্ত্রীর". Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "Mymensingh to become new division". Archived from the original on 15 February 2015. Retrieved 26 January 2015.