DAY6 (Hangul: 데이식스) is a South Korean boy band formed by JYP Entertainment in 2015. The band is composed of five members: Jae, Sungjin, Young K, Wonpil, and Dowoon. Originally a six-piece band, Junhyeok later departed from the band in February 2016. The band debuted with their first mini-album, The Day on September 7, 2015.
Day6 at Live & Meet in Taiwan, 2017
From left to right: Sungjin, Dowoon, Jae, Young K, Wonpil
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Associated acts||JYP Nation|
2014–2016: Formation and debut
JYP Entertainment initially announced the debut of a five-member band called 5LIVE, composed of Sungjin, Jae, Young K, Junhyeok, and Wonpil. In 2014, the band began promotions with appearing on the fourth episode of Mnet's reality-survival program Who is Next: Win and releasing a song titled "Lovely Girl" as part of the original soundtrack of 2013 TV series Bel Ami.
In mid-2015, drummer Dowoon was added into the line-up and the band was renamed DAY6.
On February 27, 2016, JYP Entertainment stated that Junhyeok had departed from the band due to personal reasons and terminated his contract with the company. DAY6 remained as a five-member band and released their second EP, Daydream, with the title track "Letting Go" on March 30. On March 31, DAY6 made their official stage debut on the music program M Countdown, six months after their initial debut.
2017: Every Day6 project
On December 29, 2016, DAY6 announced their monthly project in 2017 titled Every DAY6. The project would release two song every month on the sixth (except May, June, August, and October) along with concerts before the release of monthly song.
DAY6 released their first monthly single with the release of lead single "I Wait" and sidetrack "Goodbye Winter" on January 6, 2017. Their second monthly single was released with the lead single "You Were Beautiful" and sidetrack "My Day" on February 6.
Their third monthly single with the lead single "How Can I Say" and sidetrack "I Would" was released on March 6. They also promoted on the music program M Countdown on March 9. Their fourth monthly single consisting of the lead single "I'm Serious" and sidetrack "Say Wow" was released on April 6. They also promoted on the music program M Countdown the same day. Their fifth monthly single was released on May 8, with the lead single "Dance Dance" and sidetrack "Man in a Movie".
In June 2017, DAY6 released their first full-length album, Sunrise, with a total of 14 tracks. It consists of the releases from January to May, the rebooted version of "Letting Go", the final version of "Congratulations",  and two new tracks: "I Smile" (the lead single of the album) and "Lean On Me". Day6 also announced their official fanclub name, "My Day", the same day.
Their July single consisting of the lead single "Hi Hello" and sidetrack "Be Lazy" was released on July 6. Their August single consisting of the lead single "What Can I Do" and sidetrack "Whatever!" released on August 7. Their September single with the lead single "I Loved You" and sidetrack "I'll Remember" released on September 6. Day6 originally would released their October single on October 7 and later installment to released on September 29, which consists of the lead single "When You Love Someone" and the sidetrack "I Need Somebody". The music videos of their August, September, and October singles were a three-part story about high school friendship and love.
DAY6 held their North American meet and greet tour, DAY6 Live & Meet in North America 2017, hosted by SubKulture Entertainment. The tour started in Los Angeles on October 20, Austin on October 22, New York on October 24, Detroit on October 27, and stopped in Toronto on October 29.
Their November single consisting of the lead single "All Alone" and sidetrack "Pouring" was released on November 6. On November 28, JYP Entertainment announced the band's first nationwide tour in 2018, Every DAY6 Concert Nationwide Tour. The tour started in Busan on January 20–21, Daegu on January 27 and stopped in Daejeon on February 10.
On December 6, DAY6 official concluded their monthly project with the releases of their second full-length album, Moonrise. The album contained the previous releases from July to November, the title track "I Like You", two sidetrack ("Better Better" and "I'll Try"), and the final versions of the B-sides from the debut mini album The Day.
2018–present: Japan debut, Shoot Me: Youth Part 1, Remember Us: Youth Part 2 and touring
DAY6 official announced the recruitment of their first generation fan club from January 5 to January 25.
DAY6 announced would made their official debut in Japan on March 14 with their first Japanese single, "If ～また逢えたら～". The single also serves as theme song for Japanese drama 'Repeat'. The music video of the single was released on February 2.
DAY6 held their Every Day6 Finale Concert - The Best Moments on March 3 and March 4 in the Olympic Hall.
In May 2018, it was announced that DAY6 would release their second Japanese single, "Stop the Rain", on July 25, which was produced by Japanese guitarist Ubukata Shinichi (member of ELLEGARDEN and Nothing’s Carved In Stone).
In June 2018, DAY6 released their first greatest hits album in Japan, The Best Day, which is composed of the band's previous Korean singles and three new version tracks: "Congratulations" (English Ver.), "I Wait" (Japanese Ver.), and "You Were Beautiful" (English Ver.).
On June 26, DAY6 released their third mini album Shoot Me: Youth Part 1. The mini album contains seven tracks, with the lead single titled "Shoot Me". The second part, Remember Us: Youth Part 2, was released on December 10 with the title track "days gone by". On October 17, 2018, between the release of the two parts, their first Japanese studio album Unlock was released.
On January 10, 2019, the DAY6 YouTube account announced that recruitment for their second generation fan club would begin that month.
DAY6 went on their first world tour, titled Youth, subsequently performing in 24 cities in Asia, Australia, America and Europe from June 22, 2018 to January 29, 2019.
- Jae (제이) – lead guitarist, lead vocalist, rapper.
- Sungjin (성진) – leader, main vocalist, rhythm guitarist.
- Young K (영케이) – bassist, lead vocalist, rapper.
- Wonpil (원필) – synthesizer, keyboardist, lead vocalist.
- Dowoon (도운) – drummer.
- Junhyeok (준혁) – keyboardist, vocalist.
Tours and concerts
- Day6 Live Concert "D-Day" (2015)
- Day6 Live Concert "Dream" (2016)
- Every Day6 Concerts (2017–2018)
- Day6 1st Live in Japan "The Best Day" (2018)
- Day6 Christmas Special Concert "The Present" (2018)
- Day6 First World Tour "Youth" (2018-2019)
- Day6 2nd Live Tour in Japan (2018)
|2016||DAY6's Free Radio (season 1)||10 episodes|||
|2018||DAY6's Free Radio (season 2)||5 episodes (+ 1 special clip)|||
|2019||DAY6 Real Trip <DAYOFF> in Jeju||6 episodes (+ 2 special clips)|||
Awards and nominations
|Asia Artist Awards|
|2018||Popularity Award (Singer)||Day6||Nominated|||
|Gaon Chart Music Awards|
|2016||New Artist of the Year||Day6||Nominated|||
|Golden Disc Awards|
|2019||Album of the Year||Shoot Me: Youth Part 1||Nominated|||
|MBC Plus X Genie Music Awards|
|2018||Song of the Year||"Shoot Me"||Nominated|||
|Band Music Award||Won|||
|Genie Music Popularity Award||Day6||Nominated|||
|Melon Music Awards|
|2017||Best Rock Performance||"You Were Beautiful"||Nominated|||
|2018||"I Like You"||Nominated|||
|Mnet Asian Music Awards|
|2016||Best Band Performance||"Letting Go"||Nominated|||
|Song of the Year||Nominated|
|2017||Best Band Performance||"I Smile"||Nominated|||
|Song of the Year||Nominated|||
|2018||Best Band Performance||"Shoot Me"||Nominated|||
|Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Seoul Music Awards|
|New Artist Award||Day6||Nominated|
The official fan club's name is 'My Day'. This is the name that was finally chosen due to the fans' ideas and votes in line with the release date of the first regular album "SUNRISE" on July 7, 2017. It means "Day6" and "Fans" are precious things that can fill each other's day. The song 'My Day' was released in February 2017 in 'Every DAY 6 February' and is considered a fan song.
- Yoon, Sung-yul. "[단독] JYP, 역대급미모 新걸그룹 출격..'내년 상반기·6인조'". StarNews. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- Kim, Eun-ae. "JYP "6인조 보이밴드 데이식스 준비 중…데뷔시기 미정"". Sports Today. stoo.com. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- Jang, So-jin. "JYP, 첫 밴드 출격…데이식스(DAY6) 오는 6일 데뷔". Sports Kyunghyang. The Kyunghyang Shinmun. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- Lee, Jae-hyun. "JYP, 첫 남성 밴드 '데이식스'…데뷔 앨범 '더 데이'". NEWSIS. NEWSIS. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- "[인티포털] JYP밴드 데이식스 멤버 준혁 공식 탈퇴". 인스티즈(instiz, 音思提资).
- "DAY6 Is "Letting Go" and Rocking Out in Comeback MV - Soompi". www.soompi.com.
- KpopStarz (2017-01-03). "DAY6 release teaser images for 'Every DAY6 January'". KpopStarz. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- "DAY6, 2017 JYP 첫 컴백주자…오는 6일 신곡발표" (in Korean). joy news. 2017-01-02. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- "DAY6, 2월 프로젝트송 6일 발표…이별감성 '예뻤어'" (in Korean). JTBC News. 2017-01-31. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Mnet K-POP (2017-03-09), [DAY6 – How Can I Say] Comeback Stage | M COUNTDOWN 170309 EP.514, retrieved 2017-04-10
- ""신나게 놀아보자" 데이식스, 5월 신곡 '댄스 댄스' 공개". naver (in Korean). 2017-05-08. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "DAY6, 첫 정규앨범 발매 소식과 함께 티저 이미지 공개 '팬들 환호'". Daily Korea (in Korean). 2017-05-30. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- soompi (2017-06-06). "Listen : DAY6 Teases Upcoming Full Album "Sunrise" With Spoiler Video". soompi. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- "DAY6 팬클럽명 투표 안내" (in Korean). fans.jype. 2017-06-01. Retrieved 2017-06-07.
- soompi (2017-06-07). "Day6 Announces Official Fan Club Name After Comeback". soompi. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- "DAY6, 오늘(7일) 8월 프로젝트 가동…해외 진출까지" (in Korean). jtbc News. 2017-08-07. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- 최정민 (2017-09-01). "데이식스 제이, 신곡 '아이 러브드 유' 티저 공개텐아시아". 텐아시아 (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-09-02.
- 정지원 (2017-08-31). "[Oh!쎈 컷] 데이식스 Jae, 안경 벗고 미소년 매력…'풋풋 비주얼'" (in Korean). Korea Daily. Retrieved 2017-09-02.
- "Day6 to drop new album in December". K-POP Herald. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- "[인터뷰③] 데이식스 "올해 '행복한 날들이었다'..월드투어 한국어 떼창 감동"". OSEN (in Korean). Naver. December 11, 2018. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "DAY6 The 1st Live & Meet in Bangkok 2015". BeUS Production. October 16, 2015. Retrieved November 29, 2015 – via ThaiPR.net.
- "'V앱' DAY6, Jae와 원필의 라디오DJ 도전기". Herald Pop (in Korean). November 1, 2016. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "DAY6's Free Radio – Season 2". V LIVE (in Korean). Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "DAY6, 꿈같은 제주 휴가 공개…데뷔 후 첫 리얼리티 '데이오프' 선사". Xport News (in Korean). January 14, 2019. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "2nd Asia Artist Awards, Popularity Award nominees". Asia Artist Awards. Archived from the original on February 1, 2019. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- "5th Gaon Chart K-pop Awards, New Artist of the Year nominees". 5th Gaon Chart K-pop Awards. Kpop Construction. Archived from the original on January 30, 2016. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "33rd Golden Disc Nominees, Album of the Year nominees". 33rd Golden Disc Nominees. Golden Disc. Archived from the original on January 31, 2019. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "MBC Plus X Genie Music Awards, Song of the Year nominees". Genie Music. Archived from the original on January 30, 2019. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "'2018MGA' 방탄소년단, 대상 2개 포함 5관왕…트와이스-워너원 3관왕[종합]". Herald POP (in Korean). Naver. November 6, 2018. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "2018 MBC Plus X Genie Music Awards Announces Nominees + Voting Begins". Soompi. October 1, 2018. Retrieved February 8, 2019.
- "Melon Music Awards 2017: Winners of Top 10 Artists awards, nominees for category awards". International Business Times. November 17, 2017. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "Here's the full list of 2018 Melon Music Awards nominees". SBS. November 14, 2018. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "2016 MAMA Nominees". Mnet Asian Music Awards. Archived from the original on October 29, 2016. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "[2017 MAMA] 혁오, 베스트 밴드 퍼포먼스상 "재밌는 걸 멋지게 오래"". Biz Enter (in Korean). December 1, 2017. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- [2017 MAMA] Song of the Year Nominees. YouTube (in Korean). Mnet K-POP. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "2018 Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA): Complete list of nominees". AXS Contributor. November 12, 2018. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "Seoul Music Awards Global (scroll to K-POP STAR 2015 [LIVE VOTE] and click "Main, Popular (Overseas) and Rookie" to reveal the nominees)". Seoul Music Awards. SportsSeoul. Archived from the original on December 8, 2015. Retrieved December 9, 2015.
- "데이식스, 공식 팬클럽 1기 '마이데이' 창단". tvdaily.asiae.co.kr.