Crans-Montana is a municipality in the district of Sierre in the canton of Valais, Switzerland. On 1 January 2017 the former municipalities of Chermignon, Mollens, Montana and Randogne merged to form the new municipality of Crans-Montana. Crans-Montana is also a ski resort that was created through the fusion of the two centers of Crans and Montana and belonged to six municipalities (Chermignon, Icogne, Lens, Mollens, Montana and Randogne), four of which merged to form the municipality of Crans-Montana.
Resorts and ski lodges in Montana village
|• Total||59.66 km2 (23.03 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation (Schneehorn)||3,177 m (10,423 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2016)|
|• Density||180/km2 (470/sq mi)|
|Postal code||3971 Chermignon
|Surrounded by||Lens, Icogne, Sierre|
Mollens is first mentioned about 1250 as Molaen. In 1286 it was mentioned as Moleing. The municipality was formerly known by its German name Molei, however, that name is no longer used.
Randogne is first mentioned in 1224 as Randonni.
The ski resortEdit
The resort is located in the heart of the Swiss Alps in the French-speaking part of the canton of Valais. It is located on a plateau above Sierre at an elevation of about 1,500 m (4,920 ft) above sea level, allowing good view over the Valais Alps and Weisshorn in particular. The resort is a fusion of the two centers of Crans and Montana and belongs to 6 municipalities (Chermignon, Icogne, Lens, Mollens, Montana and Randogne).
Crans-Montana is famous in alpine ski racing for the 1987 World Championships and is often on the World Cup schedule, usually for women's speed events. It also hosts the only winter mountain pop rock festival Caprices Festival and the second largest European golf event Omega European Masters, (an event from the European and Asian Tour) which takes place each September. The resort has also been frequently used for bicycle racing, hosting stage finishes of the Tour de Suisse seven times and of the Tour de Romandie eight times as of 2013. In addition Crans-Montana also hosted the finish of the 20th stage of the 1984 Tour de France, won by Laurent Fignon, who also took the overall race win that year.
The historical population is given in the following chart:
Heritage sites of national significanceEdit
Between 1961 and 1990 Montana had an average of 110.5 days of rain or snow per year and on average received 982 mm (38.7 in) of precipitation. The wettest month was December during which time Montana received an average of 120 mm (4.7 in) of rain or snow. During this month there was precipitation for an average of 9.9 days. The month with the most days of precipitation was January, with an average of 10.4, but with only 108 mm (4.3 in) of rain or snow. The driest month of the year was September with an average of 51 mm (2.0 in) of precipitation over 6.8 days. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Montana has an marine west coast (Köppen: Cfb).
|Climate data for Montana (1981–2010)|
|Average high °C (°F)||1.6
|Daily mean °C (°F)||−1.8
|Average low °C (°F)||−4.8
|Average snowfall cm (inches)||114.5
|Average snowy days (≥ 1.0 cm)||10.1||8.3||7.1||5.2||0.6||0.1||0||0||0.1||1.1||5.9||8.4||46.9|
|Average relative humidity (%)||67||67||66||64||66||67||66||69||72||70||70||68||67.7|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||137||141||175||179||196||216||248||230||201||172||126||121||2,143|
|Source: MeteoSwiss |
- English actor Roger Moore owned a chalet at the ski resort for many years after moving from Gstaad. He lived there until his death in 2017.
- American Pavle Stanimirovic writer, jeweller and media personality is a long time resident. Pavle was educated in the private boarding school "Le Chaperon Rouge" in Crans Montana . Stanimirovic's family had maintained property a villa overlooking spectacular Suisse Mountainside, over a golf course since 1984, purchased from the Bagnoud family in 1987.Crans -Sur-Sierre.
- Sophia Loren had an apartment overlooking the 8th green of the resort's golf course, Crans-Sur-Sierre.
- Grand-Duke Henri of Luxembourg
- French chef and restaurateur Michel Roux
- Golfers Adam Scott, Ángel Gallardo, Sergio García along with Francesco and Edoardo Molinari are residents.
- Elizabeth von Arnim (1866–1941), Australian-born British novelist, lived in Randogne 1910–1930
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 30 August 2017
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (in German) accessed 27 April 2016
- Chermignon in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (in German) accessed 19 July 2011
- Mollens in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Montana in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Randogne in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- "Crans-Montana". Tour de Suisse. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office STAT-TAB Bevölkerungsentwicklung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, 1850-2000 (in German) accessed 27 April 2016
- "Kantonsliste A-Objekte". KGS Inventar (in German). Federal Office of Civil Protection. 2009. Archived from the original on 28 June 2010. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Temperature and Precipitation Average Values-Table, 1961–1990" (in German, French, and Italian). Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology - MeteoSwiss. Archived from the original on 27 June 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2009., the Montana weather station elevation is 1427 meters above sea level.
- Climate Summary from Weatherbase.com
- "Climate Norm Value Tables". Climate diagrams and normals from Swiss measuring stations. Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology (MeteoSwiss). Archived from the original on 14 May 2013. Retrieved 5 February 2013. The weather station elevation is 1,427 meters above sea level.