Chloe Wang (Chinese: 汪可盈; pinyin: Wāng Kěyíng; born April 18, 1992), known professionally as Chloe Bennet, is an American actress and singer. She is known for her role as Daisy "Skye" Johnson / Quake on the television series Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2013–present) and the animated made-for-television film Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors.
Bennet at the 2018 Wondercon
April 18, 1992
Bennet's father is Chinese and her mother is Caucasian. She has seven brothers: four biological, two foster and one adopted; two are African American and one is Mexican-Filipino. She attended St. Ignatius College Prep.
In 2007, at age 15, Bennet moved to China to pursue a singing career under her birth name, Chloe Wang (汪可盈). While in China, Bennet lived with her paternal grandmother and studied Mandarin, in Shanghai or Beijing. She released two singles, both in 2011: "Uh Oh" and "Every Day in Between".
In 2010 she moved to Los Angeles, California. Her first on-screen appearance was as a host for the short-lived TeenNick summer dance series The Nightlife. She appeared in the 2011 music video for South Korean band BIGBANG's "Tonight".
While pursuing an acting career in Hollywood, she changed her name to "Chloe Bennet," after having trouble booking gigs with her last name. According to Bennet, using her father's first name, rather than his last name avoids difficulties being cast as an ethnic Asian American while respecting her father.
From 2012 to 2013, she had a recurring supporting role in the ABC drama series Nashville as Hailey. In December 2012, she was cast as a series regular on the ABC series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which premiered on September 24, 2013, where she portrays the character Daisy "Skye" Johnson / Quake.
In 2017 she was cast in a musical remake of the 1983 film Valley Girl as Karen, the "Queen Bee". The film was scheduled for release in June 2018, but has been postponed due to controversy around one of its cast members, Logan Paul.
Chloe was awarded the "Visionary Award" by East West Players, the longest-running professional theater of color in the United States, on April 21, 2017, at their annual gala. She dedicated her award "to all the little girls who want to be a superhero; I'm just a half Chinese girl from the southside of Chicago."
Bennet has described the American film and television industry as racist against Asians. In a 2016 interview, she noted, "Oh, the first audition I went on after I changed my name [from Wang to Bennet], I got booked. So that's a pretty clear little snippet of how Hollywood works." In September 2017, after actor Ed Skrein stepped down from his role as Major Ben Daimio in the then-in production film Hellboy following backlash over the fact that Skrein, a white man, was playing Daimio, a character who is Japanese-American in the Hellboy comics, Bennet wrote a since-deleted post on Instagram in which she applauded Skrein's decision, and addressed her own experiences as an Asian actor in Hollywood, saying, "Changing my last name doesn't change the fact that my BLOOD is half Chinese, that I lived in China, speak Mandarin or that I was culturally raised both American and Chinese. It means I had to pay my rent, and Hollywood is racist and wouldn't cast me with a last name that made them uncomfortable."
|2014||Nostradamus||Lane Fisher||Short film|
|2015||Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast||Chase||Voice|
|2018||Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors||Daisy Johnson / Quake|
|5 Years Apart||Emma|
|2010||The Nightlife||Herself / Host||As Chloe Wang|
|2012||Intercept||Tess||Unsold ABC Family pilot|
|2013–present||Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.||Daisy "Skye" Johnson / Quake||Main, 123 episodes|
Nominated – Choice Summer TV Actress (2019)
|2014||The Birthday Boys||Verna||Episode: "Love Date Hump"|
|2015||Jake and the Never Land Pirates||Swifty||Voice; Episode: "Flight of the Feathers/Captain Hookity Hook"|
|2016||Talking Dead||Herself||Episode: "The Well"|
|2018||Marvel Rising: Initiation||Daisy Johnson / Quake||Voice|
|2019||Marvel Rising: Chasing Ghosts|
|Marvel Rising: Heart of Iron|
|2016||Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot||Daisy Johnson / Quake|
|2011||"Lose Control (Take a Sip)"||Chase Jordan|||
- 《神盾局》公布主角造型照 汪可盈饰演黑客斯凯 (in Chinese). QQ.com. Tencent Entertainment News. August 23, 2013. Archived from the original on October 13, 2013. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- 汪可盈 (in Chinese). Baidu. Archived from the original on August 29, 2013. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- "Chloe Bennet". TV Guide. Archived from the original on September 27, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2015.
- Crowder, Courtney (December 9, 2013). "Chloe Bennet brings humor and heart to 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on July 7, 2015. Retrieved September 30, 2015.
- Hiltbrand, David (November 12, 2013). "Chloe Bennet out to impress the guys". Philadelphia Inquirer. Archived from the original on December 18, 2014. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- reporter, Courtney Crowder, Chicago Tribune. "Chloe Bennet brings humor and heart to 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- Wong, Tony (May 11, 2014). "Actress Chloe Bennet says changing her name changed her luck". Toronto Star. Archived from the original on October 22, 2014. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- "Chloe Bennet – Episode 5". Fired Up with Brad Jenkins 🔥☝🏾. Retrieved August 7, 2019.
- "Interview with Chloe Bennet – China.org.cn". www.china.org.cn. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- "Chloé Wang on Apple Music". iTunes Store. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- ""Tonight" actress Chloe Wang poses for selcas with Big Bang members". Allkpop. March 3, 2011. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- Martin, Michel (September 3, 2017). "Actress Chloe Bennet Wants To Change The Narrative For Asian-Americans In Hollywood". NPR. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (December 19, 2012). "Joss Whedon's 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' Pilot Enlists 'Nashville' Actress (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on July 10, 2015.
- Mitovich, Matt Webb (December 19, 2012). "Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot Completes Casting With Nashville Actress". TVLine. Archived from the original on December 21, 2012. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Gallagher, Brian (December 19, 2012). "Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. Adds Chloe Bennett as Skye". MovieWeb. Archived from the original on February 20, 2013. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Abrams, Natalie (December 10, 2014). "'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' reveals Skye's true identity – what's next?". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (April 25, 2017). "'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Chloe Bennet, Logan Paul & More Join MGM's 'Valley Girl' Remake". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on May 1, 2017. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 1, 2018). "'Valley Girl' Remake With Controversial YouTuber Logan Paul Looking For Another Release Date". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Wood, Ximón. "East West Players' 53rd Anniversary Visionary Awards Dinner and Silent Auction". East West Players. Retrieved July 22, 2019.
- "Chloe Bennet Net » Blog Archive » East West Players "Radiant" 51st Anniversary Visionary Awards And Silent Auction". Retrieved July 22, 2019.
- Douglas, Esme (2018). "Chloe Bennet – My younger self". Childmind institute. Retrieved July 27, 2018.
- Tharp, Sharon (September 1, 2017). "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D's Chloe Bennet Changed Her Last Name Because 'Hollywood Is Racist'". Us Weekly. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Swift, Andy (July 8, 2019). "Teen Choice Awards: Stranger Things Leads Final Wave of 2019 Nominations". TVLine. Retrieved July 19, 2019.
- "Big Bang – Tonight". Retrieved September 28, 2018 – via YouTube.
- "Chase Jordan – Lose Control (Take a Sip)". Retrieved September 28, 2018 – via YouTube.