Abominable (2019 film)
Abominable is an upcoming computer-animated adventure film produced by DreamWorks Animation and Pearl Studio. It will be written and directed by Jill Culton and co-directed by Todd Wilderman, and will star the voices of Chloe Bennet, Albert Tsai, Tenzing Norgay Trainor, Eddie Izzard, Sarah Paulson, Tsai Chin and Michelle Wong. The film is scheduled to be released on September 27, 2019 by Universal Pictures.
|Directed by||Jill Culton|
|Produced by||Suzanne Buirgy|
|Written by||Jill Culton|
|Music by||Rupert Gregson-Williams|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
When teenage Yi encounters a young Yeti on the roof of her apartment building in Shanghai, she and her mischievous friends, Jin and Peng, name him “Everest” and embark on an epic quest to reunite the magical creature with his family at the highest point on Earth.
But the trio of friends will have to stay one-step ahead of Burnish, a wealthy man intent on capturing a Yeti, and zoologist Dr. Zara to help Everest get home.
Cast members, as announced by Universal, include:
Abominable was in development at DreamWorks Animation since 2010. For some time, Jill Culton was writing and directing the film, originally titled Everest, which was about a little girl and a Yeti, but by 2016, she had left the project. She was then replaced by Tim Johnson and Todd Wilderman.
In December 2016, DreamWorks announced that the film would be released on September 27, 2019, and that it would be co-produced by Oriental DreamWorks (now Pearl Studio). On February 2, 2018, it was announced that Culton had returned as the director, replacing Johnson. On March 20, 2018, it was announced that Chloe Bennet has been cast in the lead role as Yi. On May 18, 2018, DreamWorks and Pearl Studio have announced that the film has been retitled from Everest to Abominable, and Albert Tsai, Tenzing Norgay Trainor, and Tsai Chin were cast the following month.
Abominable is scheduled to be released on September 27, 2019 in the United States and October 11 in the United Kingdom by Universal Pictures.
- "Abominable". Universal Pictures.
- "Rupert Gregson-Williams to Score Brian Henson's 'The Happytime Murders'". Film Music Reporter. December 20, 2017. Retrieved June 27, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (May 18, 2018). "DreamWorks-Pearl Studio Animated Movie 'Everest' Retitled 'Abominable' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Variety Media. Retrieved October 22, 2018.
- "Film releases". Variety Insight. Variety Media. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Universal Delays DreamWorks Animation's 'How to Train Your Dragon 3,' Sets 'Everest' Feature | Animation World Network". Awn.com. December 7, 2016. Retrieved July 23, 2017.
- Brendon Connelly. "What's going on at DreamWorks Animation?". Den of Geek. Retrieved July 23, 2017.
- "Abominable". Universal Pictures. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- "Abominable". Universal Pictures.
- "Two in One Interview: NY Illustrators – Character Designers". CTN Animation Expo. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Gachman, Dina (March 21, 2013). "Bringing 'The Croods' to Life: A Spotlight Interview with Producers Kristine Belson and Jane Hartwell". Studio System News. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
We have a project tentatively titled Everest, but that's a temp title. It's about a little girl and a Yeti, and the writer-director is Jill Culton.
- Milligan, Mercedes (March 26, 2014). "DreamWorks Adopts FLIX for Story Development". Animation Magazine. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
Culton, who made her directorial debut with Sony's Open Season, is currently writing and directing a film about a young girl and a Yeti for DWA with the working title Everest.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (December 5, 2016). "'How To Train Your Dragon 3' Flies To 2019; Uni's DWA To Scale 'Everest'". Deadline. Retrieved December 6, 2016.
- Amidi, Amid (February 2, 2018). "Oriental Dreamworks Relaunches As 100% Chinese-Owned Pearl Studio". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved February 2, 2018.
- "'Agents of SHIELD' Star Chloe Bennet to Lead Pearl Studios' Animated 'Everest' (Exclusive)". Retrieved June 13, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (May 18, 2018). "DreamWorks-Pearl Studio Animated Movie 'Everest' Retitled 'Abominable' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- China's Pearl Studio Teams With Stephen Chow For Animated 'Monkey King', Cast Set For 'Abominable'