Edward George Skrein (//; born 29 March 1983) is an English actor and rapper. Outside his rap career, he is best known for his roles as Daario Naharis in the third season of Game of Thrones, Frank Martin Jr. in The Transporter Refueled, Francis Freeman/Ajax in Deadpool and as the cocky hunter warrior Zapan in Alita: Battle Angel.
Edward George Skrein
29 March 1983
Camden, London, England
Skrein was born in Camden, London, England, and was raised there and in other London boroughs, Haringey and Islington. He is of Jewish Austrian and English descent. Skrein graduated from Byam Shaw School of Art, a public tertiary art school, with a BA Hons degree in fine art painting.
In 2004, Skrein released a three track EP under the record label Dented Records. In 2007, he released his first album, The Eat Up. He has collaborated with a variety of artists including Foreign Beggars, Asian Dub Foundation, Plan B, Dubbledge and Doc Brown. Later that year, Skrein released a collaborative EP, Pre-Emptive Nostalgia, with the group A State of Mind. In 2009 Skrein collaborated with rapper Dr Syntax to bring the collaborative album Scene Stealers under the name Skreintax.
Skrein made his acting debut in Plan B's short film Michelle. Skrein got his first lead role in Plan B's Ill Manors. Skrein portrayed Daario Naharis in the third season of the television series Game of Thrones. However, in the fourth season of the series, he was replaced by Dutch actor Michiel Huisman. Skrein states that it was not his choice to leave the show. In 2014, Skrein was cast in The Transporter: Refueled, replacing Jason Statham as the lead. Though the film was critically panned, his performance was praised. In 2016, Skrein played the lead villain, Ajax, in the blockbuster action film Deadpool.
On 23 October 2015 Skrein was cast in sci-fi thriller, Gateway 6, alongside Rhys Ifans, with Tanel Toom making his directorial debut. Filming will commence in Estonia in the spring of 2016. On 29 October 2015 Skrein was cast in psychological revenge thriller, In Darkness, alongside Natalie Dormer and Stacy Martin; principal photography began in early 2016. He was slated to star in the Hellboy reboot as Ben Daimio, a Japanese-American character; after controversy over his casting, Skrein announced on Twitter that he was stepping down from the role in the hopes an actor of the proper ethnicity would be cast.
- Studio albums
|The Eat Up||
- Extended plays
|Mind Out/Once Upon a Skrein||
|Pre-Emptive Nostalgia (with A State of Mind)||
|Scene Stealers (with Dr Syntax)||
|Ill Manors||Edward "Ed" Richardson|
|2014||Northmen: A Viking Saga||Hjorr|
|2015||Sword of Vengeance||Treden|
|Kill Your Friends||Danny Rent|
|The Transporter Refueled||Frank Martin Jr.|
|2016||Deadpool||Francis Freeman / Ajax||MTV Movie Award for Best Fight (with Ryan Reynolds)|
Nominated – Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Villain
Nominated – MTV Movie Award for Best Villain
|The Model||Shane White|
|Little River Run||Short film; Director & Writer|
Encounters Short Film Festival Teen Jury Award
|If Beale Street Could Talk||Officer Bell|
|2019||Alita: Battle Angel||Zapan|
|Maleficent: Mistress of Evil||Post-production|
|Midway||Lieutenant Dick Best||Post-production|
|Born a King||Philby||Post-production|
|TBA||Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon||Filming|
|2013||The Tunnel||Anthony Walsh||3 episodes|
|2013||Game of Thrones||Daario Naharis||3 episodes;|
Screen International Award for UK Star of Tomorrow
- "British actor Ed Skrein takes over Jason Statham's 'Transporter' duties". Reuters. 2 September 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
Skrein is an Austrian name and rhymes with 'wine', he explained.
- "Behind the scenes – Rising star Ed Skrein talks The Transporter Refuelled – Candid Magazine". candidmagazine.com. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Ed Skrein: 5 facts including girlfriend, his son and The Transporter Legacy – Swide". Swide Magazine – The Dolce & Gabbana Luxury Magazine Online. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Before 'Deadpool' and 'Game of Thrones,' Ed Skrein Was a Pretty Good Rapper". Inverse. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- G.A – Rough UK Ed Skrein. YouTube. 27 January 2015. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- HBO (3 September 2015). "'Game of Thrones' Actor Ed Skrein Shoots Down Reports He Walked Away From Show". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- Brooks, Xan (10 February 2014). "Transporter 4 will star Ed Skrein in Jason Statham role". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley (28 August 2013). "'Game of Thrones' Books 'Treme' Alum for Season 4". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- Keslassy, Elsa (7 February 2014). "'Game of Thrones' Star to Succeed Statham in 'Transporter' Reboot (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- Rothman, Lily (7 April 2014). "Who's the Sellsword? Game of Thrones Premiere Introduces Recast Daario Naharis". Time. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Ed Skrein on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "'Deadpool' Actor Ed Skrein Confirms He's Playing Ajax". Screen Rant. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- Jaafar, Ali (23 October 2015). "Rhys Ifans Ed Skrein Star In 'Gateway 6', Altitude Handle Sales – AFM". Deadline. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Thom Geier (29 October 2015). "Natalie Dormer, Ed Skrein to Star in Revenge Thriller 'In Darkness'". Thewrap.com. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (24 August 2017). "'Hellboy' Casting Of Ed Skrein As Japanese Character Draws Whitewashing Backlash". deadline.com. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Ed Skrein on Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Actor Ed Skrein quits Hellboy after whitewashing criticism". BBC News Online. BBC. 28 August 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (28 August 2017). "Ed Skrein Drops Out of 'Hellboy' Reboot After Whitewashing Controversy". variety.com. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- Megan Conner. "Why we're watching: Ed Skrein". the Guardian. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Ed Skrein". Huck Magazine. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Ed Skrein: 5 Things To Know About The Man Playing "Game Of Thrones"' Daario Naharis". The Frisky. Retrieved 7 September 2015.