This article needs to be updated.October 2018)(
Brother Industries, Ltd. (Japanese: ブラザー工業株式会社 Hepburn: Burazā Kōgyō Kabushiki-gaisha) is a Japanese multinational electronics and electrical equipment company headquartered in Nagoya, Japan. Its products include printers, multifunction printers, desktop computers, industrial sewing machines, large machine tools, label printers, typewriters, fax machines, and other computer-related electronics. Brother distributes its products both under its own name and under OEM agreements with other companies.
|Traded as||TYO: 6448|
|Founded||1908(as Yasui Sewing Machine Co.)|
|Headquarters||Nagoya, Aichi, Japan|
|Yoshihiro Yasui (Chairman)|
Toshikazu Koike (President)
Industrial sewing machines
Number of employees
|31,314 (consolidated) 3,779 (non-consolidated)|
Brother's history began in 1908 when the Yasui Sewing Machine Co. was established in Nagoya, Japan. In 1955, Brother International Corporation (US) was established as their first overseas sales affiliate. In 1958 a European regional sales company was established in Dublin. The corporate name was changed to Brother Industries, Ltd. in 1962. Brother entered the printer market during its long association with Centronics.
In November 2012, Brother announced that it had built the last UK-made typewriter at its north Wales factory. It had made 5.9 million typewriters in its Wrexham factory since it opened in 1985. Brother donated the last machine to London's Science Museum.
As of March 2013, Brother's annual turnover was ¥641 billion ($5.84 billion USD (at February 2018 exchange rates)).
Sewing and embroidery machinesEdit
In 2010, the sewing divisions of Brother Industries around Europe were consolidated into one larger company called "Brother Sewing Machines Europe GmbH". With a turnover in excess of €80 million, it is the 4th largest company under the Brother Industries Ltd umbrella of organisations.
Brother Industries manufactures mechanical sewing machines in Zhuhai, China and computerised sewing & embroidery machines in Taiwan. A new sewing machine factory was opened in 2012 in Đồng Nai Province, Vietnam, which is the largest single brand sewing machine factory in the world.
In May 2017, Brother Industries manufactured their 60 millionth home sewing machine.
As for Industrial sewing machines, Brother introduced S-7300A “NEXIO” is the world's first lockstitch sewing machine which adopts the Electronic Feed. NEXIO are world's first IoT applicable industrial sewing machines. The visualization by connecting sewing machine and computer technology enables the customer to analyze, manage processes and speed up productivity improvement and maintenance work.
In 1908, Kanekichi Yasui established Yasui Sewing and Co. that provided repair services and parts for sewing machines. Meanwhile, Masayoshi Yasui inherited his company and renamed it to Yasui Brothers' Sewing Machine Co.
In 1928, the company's first product was a chain stitch sewing machine capable of producing straw hats. The machine was popular for its durability compared to German machines at the time.
They introduced and began mass production of home sewing machines in 1932, when Jitsuichi Yasui, Masayoshi's younger brother and co-founder of their company, succeeded in developing shuttle hooks.
In 1934, they were renamed Nippon Sewing Machine Manufacturing Co. which they subsequently manufacture industrial sewing machines in 1936.
Their 200 HA-1 domestic straight stitching sewing machines were exported to Shanghai, being requested by the Japanese government.
In 1979, they introduced and manufactured their first computerized sewing machined called ZZ3-B820 "Opus 8".
They started making commercial/multi needle sewing machines in 2003 with the introduction of the PR-600. 2010 marked their introduction of a PC design and editing software on their sewing/embroidery machines (Innov-is I) called PE-Design.
In 2013, they introduce a home cutting machine named the CM550DX.
For the Japanese market, Brother introduced a sewing and embroidery combination machine called Parie in 2017.
On August 7, 2018, Brother officially revealed their new 2019 sewing machine product lineup at their Back To Business Dealer Conference held annually in Orlando, Florida to commemorate Brother's 100th anniversary since its inception in 1908. The newest top-of-the-line Brother Sewing/Embroidery/Quilting machine is the Luminaire Innov-ìs XP-1. It features StitchVision technology, which uses light projections to virtually preview a stitch accurately and precisely, as well as a 10.6" by 16" maximum embroidery area.
Brother diversified into making printers, label makers, MFCs, garment printers,midi sequencers ,manufacturing/machine tools, and Joysound karaokes in the 1960s.
Advertising and sponsorshipEdit
Brother launched their first integrated, pan European advertising campaign in Autumn 2010 for their A3 printer range. Titled ‘141%’, referring to the ratio between paper sizes A3 and A4.
- "Brother Corporate Data". Retrieved 4 October 2012.
- Soumithri, Mamidipudi (March 11, 2015). "Japan's Brother Industries to buy UK's Domino Printing for $1.55 billion". Reuters. Retrieved November 16, 2017.
- Stuart D.B. Picken (19 December 2016). Historical Dictionary of Japanese Business. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. p. 75. ISBN 978-1-4422-5589-0.
- "Brother - Nefsis". corumgroup.com. Corum Group. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "UK's 'Last Typewriter' produced". BBC News. 2012-11-20. Retrieved 23 November 2012.
- "Corporate Data | Corporate Information | Brother". www.brother.com. Retrieved 2018-02-02.
- "Brother establishes a new factory of home sewing machine in Vietnam" (PDF). Brother. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "September 25, 2012 Accumulated production of home sewing machines has reached 50 million units". Brother.com. 2012-09-25. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "History & Legacy - Brother Philippines". www.brother.com.ph. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "1970s | Brother Group History | Corporate Information | Brother". www.brother.com. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "parie（パリエ） | 刺しゅう用ミシン | 家庭用ミシン | ブラザー" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-11-18.
- Evans, Josh (27 November 2018). "Vitus Pro Cycling's 2019 Vitus ZX1 Team Aero Disc - Gallery". cyclingnews.com. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Brother Industries history
- Brother Industrial Sewing Machines
- Brother Industrial Sewing Machines NEXIO
- Brother Industrial Sewing Machines IoT
- Driver download site
- Brother Sewing Machines Europe Site
- Brother United States site
- brother printer support
- "Company history books (Shashi)". Shashi Interest Group. April 2016. — Wiki collection of bibliographic works on Brother Industries.