Brillante "Dante" Mendoza (born 30 July 1960) is a Filipino independent film director. He was born and raised in San Fernando, Pampanga. He took advertising arts of the then College of Architecture and fine arts at the University of Santo Tomas.
Mendoza at the 69th Venice International Film Festival, September 2012
|Born||30 July 1960|
San Fernando, Pampanga, Philippines
|Alma mater||University of Santo Tomas|
He has directed sixteen films since 2005. He won the award for Best Director for his film Kinatay at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival. His 2009 film Lola won the award for Best Film at the 6th Dubai International Film Festival. His 2012 film Captive was shown in competition at the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival in February 2012.
His 2012 film Thy Womb competed for the Golden Lion at the 69th Venice International Film Festival. and earned Mendoza the award for Achievement in Directing at the Asia Pacific Screen Awards in 2012. His film Taklub has been selected to be screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival.
On 25 July 2016, he directed the first State of the Nation Address of President Rodrigo Duterte. Mendoza was again attached to direct Duterte's second State of the Nation Address on 24 July 2017.
|2008||Service||Main Competition (2008 Cannes Film Festival)|
|2009||Kinatay||Main Competition (2009 Cannes Film Festival)|
Winner of Best Director award
|Grandmother||Main Competition (2009 Venice Film Festival)|
|2012||Captive||Main Competition (2012 Berlin Film Festival)|
|Thy Womb||Main Competition (2012 Venice Film Festival)|
|2015||Taklub||Un Certain Regard (2015 Cannes Film Festival)|
|2016||Ma' Rosa||Main competition (2016 Cannes Film Festival)|
- "Dante Mendoza in 'Bottomline with Boy Abunda'". ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs. 25 June 2010. Retrieved 29 May 2017.
- "Brilliante Mendoza: Philippines' celebrated and divisive director". CNN. Retrieved 9 May 2009.
- "Pagdukot sa mga Burnham, isinapelikula". varsitarian. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- "Festival de Cannes: Kinatay". festival-cannes.com. Archived from the original on 4 July 2009. Retrieved 9 May 2009.
- "Dubai International Film Festival – 2009 Winners". dubaifilmfest.com. Archived from the original on 22 December 2011. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- "First Films for the Competition and Berlinale Special". Berlin Film Festival. Archived from the original on 6 January 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- "Venezia 69". labiennale. Archived from the original on 28 July 2012. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Complement to the Official Selection". Cannes Film Festival. 23 April 2015. Archived from the original on 5 May 2015. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "LOOK: Brillante Mendoza confirmed to direct Duterte's SONA". Rappler. 15 July 2016. Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- Colcol, Erwin (12 July 2017). "Brillante Mendoza back as director of Duterte's 2nd SONA". GMA Network. GMA News and Public Affairs. Retrieved 12 July 2017.