Asia Pacific Screen Awards
The Asia Pacific Screen Awards (APSA) is an international cultural initiative of the Brisbane City Council, Australia, to honour and promote the films, actors, directors, and cultures of the Asia-Pacific region to a global audience and to realise the objectives of UNESCO to promote and preserve the respective cultures through the influential medium of film.
|Asia Pacific Screen Awards|
|11th Asia Pacific Screen Awards|
Asia Pacific Screen Awards logo
|Awarded for||Best in film and documentary in the Asia-Pacific region|
|Presented by||UNESCO, FIAPF and Brisbane City Council, Australia|
Staged for the first time in 2007, APSA collaborates with UNESCO and FIAPF-International Federation of Film Producers Associations. Winners are determined by an international jury and films are judged on cinematic excellence and the way in which they attest to their cultural origins. APSA takes the works of filmmakers across more than 70 countries and areas in the Asia-Pacific region to new international audiences.
Nominees are automatically inducted into the Asia Pacific Screen Academy, a growing world-class body of Asia-Pacific filmmakers. Australian screen legend, Jack Thompson AM, is the President of the Academy.
The 11th annual Asia Pacific Screen Awards was held in Brisbane, Australia on 23 November 2017. The International Jury that determined the winners was led by award-winning Australian film editor Jill Bilcock alongside Yoshi Yatabe, He Saifei, Adolfo Alix Jr and Adilkhan Yerzhanov. Past International Jury members include Asghar Farhadi, Anthony Chen, Hiam Abbass, Lu Yue, Maciej Stuhr, Rajit Kapur, Shyam Benegal, Malini Fonseka, Nansun Shi, Lord David Puttnam, Sergey Dvortsevoy, Salman Aristo, Gina Kim, Samuel Maoz, Kaori Momoi, Tahmineh Milani, Jan Chapman, Sasson Gabai, Tian Zhuangzhuang, Aparna Sen, Bruce Beresford, Huang Jianxin, Shabana Azmi and Jafar Panahi.
Film categories and awardsEdit
Films can be submitted in one or all of four film categories:
Awards are presented for the following achievements:
- Best Feature Film
- Best Animated Feature Film
- Best Documentary Feature Film
- Best Children's Feature Film
- Achievement in Directing
- Best Screenplay
- Achievement in Cinematography
- Best Performance by an Actress
- Best Performance by an Actor
In addition, three special awards are presented for outstanding achievement.
- The FIAPF Award: The International Federation of Film Producers Associations (FIAPF) determines the winner of the award for outstanding achievement in film in the Asia Pacific region.
- Cultural Diversity Award under the patronage of UNESCO: The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Award is for the outstanding contribution to the promotion and preservation of cultural diversity through film.
- The Jury Grand Prize: The Jury of the Asia Pacific Screen Awards can, at its discretion, present a further award.