Brig railway station
Brig railway station is an important railway junction in the municipality of Brig-Glis (French: Brigue-Glis), in the Canton of Valais, Switzerland. Opened in 1878, it is adjacent to the northern portal of the Simplon Tunnel and is served by two standard gauge lines. Another two metre gauge lines serve the physically adjacent Brig Bahnhofplatz railway station.
|Elevation||671.7 m (2,204 ft)|
|Owned by||Swiss Federal Railways|
|Opened||18 June 1878|
Service to Brig began on 18 June 1878; it was at that time the eastern terminus of the Simplon Railway. The opening of the Simplon Tunnel in 1906 extended the Simplon Railway southeast to Domodossola, in Italy.
Brig's other standard gauge line, the Lötschberg railway line, opened in 1913. It links Bern with Brig via the Lötschberg Pass, including the Lötschberg Tunnel. In 2007, this line was largely supplanted by the New Railway Link through the Alps (NRLA), connecting (Bern and) Spiez with Visp, near Brig, via the Lötschberg Base Tunnel. Trains travelling along the NRLA line to Visp usually then continue on to Brig via the Simplon line.
The following services stop at Brig:
- EuroCity/InterCity: trains every two hours to Basel SBB; one train per day continuing to Frankfurt (Main) Hauptbahnhof in Germany. EuroCity trains continue from Brig to Milano Centrale via Domodossola.
- EuroCity: four trains per day between Genève-Cornavin and Milano Centrale, with one train continuing from Milano Centrale to Venezia Santa Lucia.
- trains every half-hour to Geneva Airport.
- three trains per day to Domodossola.
- RegioExpress: trains every hour to Bern, with most trains continuing from Brig to Domodossola.
- Regio: half-hourly service to Monthey, with every other train continuing to Saint-Gingolph.
- Moser, Beat; Börret, Ralph; Küstner, Thomas (2005). Glacier Express: Von St. Moritz nach Zermatt (in German). Fürstenfeldbruck, Germany: Eisenbahn-Journal (Verlagsgruppe Bahn GmbH). ISBN 3-89610-057-2.
- Moser, Beat; Jossi, Urs (2006). MGB Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (in German). 1. Fürstenfeldbruck, Germany: Eisenbahn-Journal (Verlagsgruppe Bahn GmbH). ISBN 3-89610-157-9.
- Moser, Beat; Jossi, Urs (2007). MGB Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (in German). 2. Fürstenfeldbruck, Germany: Eisenbahn-Journal (Verlagsgruppe Bahn GmbH). ISBN 978-3-89610-175-4.
- "Official timetable of Switzerland". Bundesamt für Verkehr. (in English)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brig railway station.|