Domodossola railway station
Domodossola railway station (Italian: Stazione di Domodossola) serves the city and comune of Domodossola, in the Piedmont region, northwestern Italy. Opened in 1888, it forms a major break of gauge junction between standard gauge lines to Milan, Brig and Novara, and a metre gauge line to Locarno.
|Location||Piazza Giacomo Matteotti|
|Owned by||Rete Ferroviaria Italiana|
|Distance||55.547 km (34.515 mi) from Arona|
|Connections||Regional and interurban buses|
|Opened||8 September 1888|
|Electrified||4 May 1947|
The station is currently managed by Rete Ferroviaria Italiana (RFI). However, the commercial area of the passenger building is managed by Centostazioni. Train services on the line to Novara are operated by Trenitalia. Each of these companies is a subsidiary of Ferrovie dello Stato (FS), Italy's state-owned rail company. The link with Milan is operated by both Trenitalia and Trenord.
Train services on the line to Brig are operated by BLS AG and Swiss Federal Railways, and those on the line to Locarno by the Società Subalpina Imprese Ferroviarie (SSIF). These two lines combine to form an international link, via Domodossola, between the German and Italian speaking parts of Switzerland.
Domodossola railway station is situated at Piazza Giacomo Matteotti, at the eastern edge of the city centre.
The station was opened on 9 September 1888, together with the rest of the Domodossola–Arona section of the Milan–Domodossola railway. It was built as part of a railway construction project planned since the 1870s. The aim of the project was to break the isolation of the Ossola valley, by connecting it with Novara and Turin.
The station has about 1.4 million passenger movements each year.
- EuroCity/InterRegio/RegioExpress: trains roughly every hour to Brig, with continuing service to Basel SBB, Bern, Genève-Cornavin, and Milano Centrale.
- RegioExpress: service every two hours to Milano Centrale.
- FART: hourly service to Locarno.
- Alessandro Tuzza; et al. "Prospetto cronologico dei tratti di ferrovia aperti all'esercizio dal 1839 al 31 dicembre 1926" [Chronological overview of the features of the railways opened between 1839 and 31 December 1926]. Trenidicarta.it (in Italian). Alessandro Tuzza. Archived from the original on 24 June 2009. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- "Flussi Annui nelle 103 Stazioni" [Annual flows at the 103 stations]. Centostazioni website (in Italian). Centostazioni. Archived from the original on 9 February 2010. Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Brig – Domodossola" (PDF) (in German). Bundesamt für Verkehr. 5 December 2019. Retrieved 27 June 2020.
- "SERVIZIO TRENORD (Lunedì-Venerdì)" (PDF) (in Italian). Trenord. 15 June 2020. Retrieved 27 June 2020.
- "Informazioni al Pubblico / Linea: Domodossola – Gallarate – Milano" (PDF) (in Italian). Trenord. 8 June 2020. Retrieved 27 June 2020.
- Media related to Domodossola train station at Wikimedia Commons