Brian Theodore Tyler (born May 8, 1972) is an American composer, musician, conductor, arranger, and producer, known for his film, television, and video game scores. Tyler scored Eagle Eye, The Expendables trilogy, Iron Man 3, Avengers: Age of Ultron with Danny Elfman, Now You See Me, and Crazy Rich Asians, among others. He also re-arranged the current fanfare of the Universal Pictures logo that was originally composed by the legendary Jerry Goldsmith, the updated Marvel Studios logo, which debuted with Thor: The Dark World (2013), as well as the NFL Theme for ESPN, the Formula One theme and five installments of The Fast and the Furious franchise. For his work as a film composer, he has won the IFMCA Awards 2014 Composer of the Year.
Tyler in 2011
Brian Theodore Tyler
May 8, 1972
|Also known as||Madsonik|
His composition for the film Last Call earned him the first of three Emmy nominations, a gold record, and was inducted into the music branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. As of November 2017, his films have grossed $12 billion worldwide which puts him in to the top 10 highest-grossing film composers of all time in the category of worldwide box office. Tyler has scored 3 of the top 10 films of all time in global box office.
Life and careerEdit
Tyler was born and raised in Orange County, California. His grandfather was Academy Award-winning art director Walter H. Tyler. One of his first major influences was his pianist grandmother. He holds a bachelor's degree from the University of California, Los Angeles and a Master's from Harvard University. Growing up, he taught himself to play at least 30 different types of musical instruments, including drums, piano, guitar, bass, cello, world percussion, synthesizer, charango and bouzouki.
Tyler began scoring features shortly after graduating from Harvard. Robert Kraft, who was impressed by Tyler's music, encouraged him to pursue a career in film scoring. He began his career by composing the film score for the independent film Bartender (1997), directed by Gabe Torres. The following year, he and Red Elvises composed the film score for Six-String Samurai (1998).
Tyler's breakthrough came in 1995, after composing for Frailty (2001). His work on Last Call (2002) earned him an induction into the music branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. William Friedkin, after being impressed by his work on Frailty, called Tyler in to begin composing for The Hunted (2003), which went on to earn Tyler a World Soundtrack Award in 2002 for Best New Film Composer of the Year. Starting in 2003, he began working on big-budget films, including Timeline (2003), Godsend (2004), The Greatest Game Ever Played (2005), and Constantine (2005). His score for The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) hit No. 1 on the iTunes soundtrack sales charts, while his soundtrack for Children of Dune reached No. 4 on the Amazon.com album charts.. His cues for Children of Dune were used in multiple other theatrical film trailers, including Master and Commander (2003), Sahara (2005), Cinderella Man (2005), The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005), Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008), and Star Trek (2009). The track "Summon the Worms" was used as a leader for the Dutch show Peking Express, and in the first leaked promotional reel for The Golden Compass (2007).
In 2007, he was hired to compose for Partition (2007), where he had to integrate Indian and Middle Eastern music with orchestral writing. He conducted the orchestral portion of the score with the Hollywood Studio Symphony in Los Angeles.
On September 5, 2011, Tyler announced that he was currently in talks for scoring the 2011 remake of Highlander, as well as pilot episodes for the animated series Transformers: Prime. He went on to score four episodes of the series.
In 2012, Tyler also scored a new version of the fanfare of the Universal Pictures logo, originally composed by Jerry Goldsmith, coinciding with the celebration of the studio's 100th anniversary. The new score added elements such as a choir, a bigger emphasis on the movement of the music underneath and a drum cadence at the end.
In addition to working as a composer, Tyler also wrote and produced the song "Shell Shocked" with Kill the Noise, Wiz Khalifa, Ty Dolla Sign, Juicy J and Moxie that was released in the summer of 2014 under his artist name Madsonik. The track went on to peak at No. 2 on the iTunes hip-hop singles charts and has sold over 500,000 copies.
On October 12, 2016, he was hired to write and compose the musical score for the 2017 action-adventure film XXX: Return of Xander Cage. He has also contributed to the soundtrack by his stage name Madsonik in a collaboration with Tom Morello and Kill The Noise entitled "Divebomb".
On March 2, 2018, he announced on Twitter that he had been hired by Formula One to write a brand new theme that was released on March 23. In August 2018, a 27-track soundtrack composed by Tyler for the cable TV series Yellowstone was issued on August 17, 2018 in CD format and for mp3 download on Amazon.
|2003||Last Stand||Gabe Torres|
|2005||Clair obscur||Benjamin Charles-Lemaire|
|2014||All Hail the King||Drew Pearce||Composed with Mike Post|
|1998||Final Justice||Tommy Lee Wallace||N/A|
|1999||Sirens||John Sacret Young||N/A|
|2000||Trapped in a Purple Haze||Eric Laneuville||N/A|
|2001||Jane Doe||Kevin Alyn Elders||N/A|
|2002||Last Call||Henry Bromell||Nominated- Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Music Composition for a Limited Series|
|2005||Painkiller Jane||Sanford Bookstaver||N/A|
|2014||Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe||N/A||Television special|
|1998||Living in Captivity||8 episodes|
|2000||Level 9||13 episodes|
|2001||The Education of Max Bickford||22 episodes|
|2003||Frank Herbert's Children of Dune||3 episodes|
|Star Trek: Enterprise||Episodes "Canamar" and "Regeneration"|
|2007||Fear Itself||Episode: "The Sacrifice"|
|2010||Hawaii Five-0||84 episodes|
|2010–13||Transformers: Prime||66 episodes|
|2011||Terra Nova||13 episodes|
|2013–17||Sleepy Hollow||36 episodes|
|2019||Swamp Thing||10 episodes, show cancelled after 1 episode|
|March 2018 – Present||Formula One||Official theme tune for Formula One|
|2011||Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3|
|Need for Speed: The Run|
|2012||Far Cry 3||Nominated- BAFTA Games Award for Best Audio Achievement|
|2013||Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel|
|Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag||Nominated- BAFTA Games Award for Best Original Music|
Awards and nominationsEdit
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- "Brian Tyler - Composer Biography, Facts and Music Compositions".
- Strom, Marc (November 12, 2013). "Introducing the New Marvel Studios Logo". Marvel. Archived from the original on November 15, 2013. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Academy invites 135 new members".
- "Brian Tyler Movie Box Office Results". www.boxofficemojo.com.
- Interview with Brian Tyler 8Dio Archived April 16, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- "Brian Tyler Bio". briantyler.com.
- Interview: Brian Tyler – Corduroy magazine Archived April 16, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- Comerford, Jason. "Sayonara, baby! – Brian Tyler and Six-String Samurai". Islandlife. Archived from the original on November 8, 2005. Retrieved December 16, 2005.
- "SoundtrackNet : Interview – Brian Tyler". Soundtrack.net. Archived from the original on February 4, 2012. Retrieved December 16, 2005.
- "Adtunes Top Ad Music of 2008". Adtunes.com. Archived from the original on October 8, 2013. Retrieved July 25, 2009.
- "His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass - Sizzle Reel". YouTube. Archived from the original on November 25, 2012. Retrieved August 23, 2009.
- Goldwasser, Dan (June 16, 2006). "Brian Tyler scores Partition". Scoringsessions.com. Archived from the original on February 17, 2012. Retrieved August 23, 2009.
- "Brian Tyler – Music Is Life". web.me.com. September 5, 2010. Retrieved September 5, 2010.
- "Scoring the New Universal Logo - 100th Anniversary (2012) HD". YouTube. Retrieved February 11, 2018.
- "Brian Tyler Scoring 'xXx: Return of Xander Cage' | Film Music Reporter". Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- "Your EDM Exclusive: Madsonik Enlists Tom Morello & Kill The Noise For "Divebomb" - Your EDM". January 19, 2017.
- "MUST SEE – Watch F1's new opening title sequence". Formula1.com. Retrieved March 24, 2018.
- Amazon CD download services. Yellowstone soundtrack. Retrieved August 29, 2018. 
- "IFMCA: the International Film Music Critics Association – IFMCA announces winners of 2009 Awards". Filmmusiccritics.org. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- "IFMCA: the International Film Music Critics Association – IFMCA Winners 2013". Filmmusiccritics.org. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Gravity, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Lead Saturn Awards Noms"
- "2014 Emmy Nominations: 'Breaking Bad,' 'True Detective' Among the Honored". New York Times. July 10, 2014. Retrieved July 10, 2014.