Charlie's Angels (2019 film)
Charlie's Angels is an upcoming American action comedy film directed by Elizabeth Banks, who also wrote the screenplay, from a story by Evan Spiliotopoulos and David Auburn. It is the third installment in the Charlie's Angels film series, which is a continuation of the story that began with the television series of the same title by Ivan Goff and Ben Roberts and the theatrical films Charlie's Angels (2000) and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003). The film stars Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott and Ella Balinska as the titular characters. Elizabeth Banks, Djimon Hounsou, Sam Claflin, Noah Centineo, and Patrick Stewart also star in supporting roles.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Elizabeth Banks|
|Screenplay by||Elizabeth Banks|
|Music by||Brian Tyler|
|Edited by||Alan Baumgarten|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Releasing|
It is scheduled to be released on November 15, 2019, by Sony Pictures Releasing.
Charlie's Angels have always provided security and investigative skills to private clients. Now the Townsend Agency has expanded internationally with the smartest and most highly-trained women from all over the globe: multiple teams of Angels guided by multiple Bosleys, completing the toughest missions around the world. When a young systems engineer blows the whistle on a dangerous technology, these Angels are called into action, putting their lives on the line to protect us all.
- Kristen Stewart as Sabina Wilson
- Naomi Scott as Elena Houghlin
- Ella Balinska as Jane Kano
- Elizabeth Banks as Susan Bosley
- Djimon Hounsou as Sam Bosley
- Sam Claflin as Alexander Brock
- Noah Centineo as Langston
- Patrick Stewart as Stan Bosley
- Luis Gerardo Méndez as The Saint
- Magdalena Tan as Ashley Remoquillo
On September 15, 2015, it was announced that Sony Pictures Entertainment was rebooting the Charlie's Angels franchise, and Elizabeth Banks was in talks to direct the film. Banks would also produce the film along with her Brownstone Productions' partner Max Handelman. On December 16, 2015, Sony hired Evan Spiliotopoulos to write the script for the reboot film.
In July 2018, it was announced that Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott and Ella Balinska would play the leading trio of the fighting team, and Banks would also appear as Bosley, with the film featuring multiple characters named Bosley. Doug Belgrad would also produce the film through his 2.0 Entertainment, along with Elizabeth Cantillon, Banks and Handelman, while Banks and Jay Basu wrote the screenplay with the early drafts by Craig Mazin and Semi Chellas. In September, Patrick Stewart was cast as the second Bosley. That same month, Luis Gerardo Méndez and Jonathan Tucker joined the cast of the film, with Djimon Hounsou cast as the third Bosley. In October 2018, Sam Claflin, Noah Centineo, Chris Pang and Nat Faxon joined the cast of the film.
Principal photography on the film began on September 24, 2018. From October 2–7, 2018, filming took place at the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg, Germany. In early December 2018, filming took place at the Spice Bazaar, Veliefendi Race Course and in Sultanahmet in Istanbul, Turkey. Filming completed on December 9, 2018.
It was later revealed that the new movie would not be a reboot or a remake of the franchise but rather a continuation that will incorporate the events of the original TV series and the McG-directed 2000s films. It was also revealed on the movie's official site that Drew Barrymore, who produced from the previous films and played as Dylan Sanders, will return as an executive producer. Leonard Goldberg, who produced the original series and the previous films, returned as well.
On May 6, 2019, Brian Tyler was announced to compose the score for the film. Singers Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus and Lana Del Rey collaborated on a song titled "Don't Call Me Angel", which was released as the lead single from the soundtrack on September 13, 2019. Grande also co-executive produced the soundtrack, set for a November 1 release, along with Savan Kotecha and Scooter Braun. The second single "How It's Done" by Kash Doll, Kim Petras, Alma and Stefflon Don released on October 11, 2019.
Charlie's Angels is scheduled to be released on November 15, 2019, by Sony Pictures Releasing. It was previously going to be released on November 1, 2019, but was moved to avoid going against Terminator: Dark Fate.
- "'Matrix' and 'Baby Driver' Cinematographer Bill Pope Joins 'Charlie's Angels'". September 15, 2018.
- "Movie credits on the Czech poster". October 8, 2019.
- Bucksbaum, Sydney (June 28, 2019). "'Charlie's Angels': Everything You Need to Know About Elizabeth Banks' Feminist Action Reboot". Collider. Retrieved June 29, 2019.
- Verhoeven, Beatrice (September 15, 2015). "Elizabeth Banks in Talks to Direct New 'Charlie's Angels' Film For Sony". thewrap.com. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- Ford, Rebecca (December 16, 2015). "'Charlie's Angels' Reboot Lands Writer (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- "Director Elizabeth Banks to play Bosley in Charlie's Angels reboot". Independent Movies. July 26, 2018. Retrieved June 22, 2019.
- Kit, Borys (July 26, 2018). "'Charlie's Angels' Reboot: Naomi Scott, Ella Balinska Join Kristen Stewart". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 29, 2018.
- Kit, Borys; Galuppo, Mia (September 17, 2018). "Patrick Stewart to Play Bosley in 'Charlie's Angels' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 18, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (September 25, 2018). "Luis Gerardo Méndez Joins Kristen Stewart, Elizabeth Banks in 'Charlie's Angels' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 25, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (September 26, 2018). "'Westworld' & 'Kingdom' Actor Jonathan Tucker Joins Sony's 'Charlie's Angels' Reboot". Deadline. Retrieved September 27, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin; Kroll, Justin (28 September 2018). "Djimon Hounsou Joins 'Charlie's Angels' as One of the Bosleys (EXCLUSIVE)".
- Kroll, Justin (October 1, 2018). "Sam Claflin Joins 'Charlie's Angels' Reboot (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (October 2, 2018). "Noah Centineo Joins 'Charlie's Angels' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (October 23, 2018). "'Charlie's Angels' Reboot Adds Nat Faxon, Chris Pang (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- Hermanns, Grant (September 25, 2018). "Production Begins on New Charlie's Angels Movie! - ComingSoon.net". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved September 25, 2018.
- Coesfeld, Franziska (September 8, 2018). "Drei neue Engel für Hamburg - Hamburger Abendblatt". Hamburger Abendblatt. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- "Charlie'nin Melekleri Mısır Çarşısı'nda". Posta (in Turkish). December 3, 2018. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- "Kristen Stewart, Veliefendi Hipodrumu'nda" (in Turkish). NTV. December 4, 2018. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- "Charlie'nin Melekleri Sultanahmet'te" (in Turkish). A Haber. December 10, 2018. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- Maggie Dela Paz (December 10, 2018). "Elizabeth Banks' Charlie's Angels Reboot Wraps Production". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- Shirley Li (April 12, 2019). "Charlie's Angels first look: See Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, and Ella Balinska in Elizabeth Banks' update". ew.com. Retrieved April 12, 2019.
- "Informations on Charlie's Angels on the movie's official site". Charlie's Angels movie. 2019. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- "Brian Tyler to Score Elizabeth Banks' 'Charlie's Angels'". Film Music Reporter. May 6, 2019. Retrieved June 23, 2019.
- Rowley, Glenn (September 9, 2019). "Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus & Lana Del Rey's 'Charlie's Angels' Collab Has a Release Date & Nothing Else Matters". Billboard. Retrieved September 9, 2019.
- Minsker, Evan (October 11, 2019). "Ariana Grande Details Charlie's Angels Soundtrack: Nicki Minaj, Chaka Khan, Normani, More". Pitchfork. Retrieved October 11, 2019.
- Kash Doll, Kim Petras, ALMA & Stefflon Don – How It's Done, retrieved 2019-10-11
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 28, 2019). "'Charlie's Angels' Flies To Mid-November". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 22, 2019.
- Perry, Spencer (June 27, 2019). "The New Charlie's Angels Trailer is Here!". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- B. Alan, Orange (October 11, 2019). "Charlie's Angels Trailer #2 Goes to Work with a Covert Group of Exceptional Women". MovieWeb. Retrieved October 11, 2019.