Belmond Ltd. is a hotel and leisure company that operates luxury hotels, train services and river cruises around the world. In 2015, the company had 35 deluxe hotels, 7 tourist trains, 3 river cruises and restaurants in 22 countries.
|Orient-Express Hotels Ltd|
|Roeland Vos (CEO)|
Richard M. Levine (CLO)
Martin OGrady (CFO)
|Services||Hotels, trains, cruises, restaurants|
|Revenue||US$ 576.84 million (2018)|
The company was formerly known as Orient-Express Hotels Ltd. On 10 March 2014, the global collection of businesses was renamed Belmond, and on 1 July 2014, the parent company itself was renamed Belmond Ltd. In December 2018, the company agreed to be acquired by LVMH in a $3.2billion transaction which closed in April 2019, thus delisting from the NYSE and taking the company private.
The company was founded in 1976 by an American entrepreneur James Sherwood with the acquisition of Hotel Cipriani in Venice. The company derived its original name from the Orient Express train. It operates the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, which provides overnight train service between London and Venice. It also operates other trains, including the Belmond Royal Scotsman train service, and has a 50 percent interest in PeruRail. Much of the history of the company is documented in James Sherwood's memoir, "Orient Express: A Personal Journey".
Among the European hotels it owns is Belmond Hotel Cipriani in Venice and Belmond Reid's Palace in Madeira. The company also owns and operates the Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel in Cape Town, and the Belmond Copacabana Palace in Rio de Janeiro. It operates two river cruisers on the Irrawaddy River in Central Burma (Myanmar), and Belmond Afloat in France (five canal and river barges).
The properties, trains and other services that are owned or managed by Belmond Ltd. include the following.
- Belmond Hotel Cipriani, Venice, Italy
- Belmond Hotel Splendido and Belmond Splendido Mare, Portofino, Italy
- Belmond Villa San Michele, Florence, Italy
- Belmond Hotel Caruso, Amalfi Coast, Italy
- Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea, Sicily, Italy
- Belmond Grand Hotel Timeo, Sicily, Italy
- Belmond La Residencia, Deia, Mallorca, Spain
- Belmond Reid's Palace, Madeira, Portugal
- Belmond Grand Hotel Europe, St. Petersburg, Russia
- Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, Oxfordshire, England
- Belmond Charleston Place, Charleston, South Carolina, United States
- Belmond El Encanto, Santa Barbara, California, United States
- Belmond La Samanna, St. Martin, French West Indies
- Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
- Belmond Copacabana Palace, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Belmond Hotel das Cataratas, Iguassu Falls, Brazil
- Belmond Miraflores Park, Lima, Peru
- Belmond Palacio Nazarenas, Cusco, Peru All P Cusco and Macchu Pichhu Hotels are a 50% Joint Venture with peruvian shareholding company Peru Hotel Macchu Picchu SA (Peru Belmond Hotels SA)
- Belmond Hotel Monasterio, Cusco, Peru
- Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, Machu Picchu, Peru
- Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado, Urubamba, Sacred Valley, Peru
- Belmond Las Casitas, Colca Canyon, Peru
- Belmond Jimbaran Puri, Bali, Indonesia
- Belmond Napasai, Koh Samui, Thailand
- Belmond Governor's Residence, Yangon, Myanmar
- Belmond La Résidence Phou Vao, Luang Prabang, Laos
- Belmond La Résidence d'Angkor, Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, Cape Town, South Africa
- Belmond Savute Elephant Lodge, Chobe National Park, Botswana
- Belmond Khwai River Lodge, Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana
- Belmond Eagle Island Lodge, Okavango Delta, Botswana
- Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, Europe
- Belmond Royal Scotsman - Scotland
- Belmond Grand Hibernian - Ireland, Northern Ireland
- Eastern and Oriental Express - Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore
- Belmond Andean Explorer - Peru (since May 2017) In 50% partnership with the Peruvian shareholder company Peruvian Trains and Railways SA
- Company 10-Q
- "Belmond revenue". www.craft.co.
- "Belmond Ltd. - SEC". Sec.gov. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "Belmond Ltd. Company Information". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "Interview: Behind Belmond's Rebrand of Iconic Orient-Express Name". Skift.com. 17 March 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Vora, Shivani. "Orient-Express Hotels Gets a New Name". Intransit.blogs.nytimes.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Log In". Wsj.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Bloomberg". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
-  Archived 28 March 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- "Orient-Express Hotels Ltd. Changes Corporate Name to Belmond Ltd". Hotelnewsresource.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Rupert Neate (14 December 2018). "Orient Express sold to owner of Christian Dior and Louis Vuitton". Theguardian.com. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- Business Wire (1 February 2013). "Company Profile for Belmond Ltd". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 18 March 2013.