Barun Sobti (born 21 August 1984) is an Indian actor known for his work in television, films and web series. Sobti is best known for his portrayal of Arnav Singh Raizada in Star Plus's Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?.
|Born||21 August 1984|
|Alma mater||University of Delhi|
|Spouse(s)||Pashmeen Manchanda (m.2010)|
Sobti began his acting career in 2009 with Star Plus's series Shraddha and later appeared in a negative cameo role in the medical series Dill Mill Gayye. He portrayed the lead role in Sony Entertainment Television's series Baat Hamari Pakki Hai (2010), and then appeared in Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? (2011) where he played an arrogant business tycoon. After a hiatus of 5 years from television, Sobti starred in the third season of Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? (2017).
Sobti debuted in Bollywood with the romantic comedy film Main Aur Mr. Riight (2014) and portrayed Arjun Anand in Tu Hai Mera Sunday (2017). He has also starred in the Hotstar Originals' webseries Tanhaiyan (2017), and ALTBalaji's The Great Indian Dysfunctional Family (2018). Sobti's debut into the digital medium was with Dry Dreams (2015), a short film on the importance of water conservation.
Sobti has earned accolades for his performances and regularly features in the Sexiest Asian Men listings in the UK magazine, Eastern Eye.
Early life and familyEdit
Barun Sobti was born in Delhi into a Punjabi family. He has an elder sister named Richa Arora (née Sobti). He attended St. Mark's School in Paschim Vihar, New Delhi and completed his graduation from University of Delhi. He worked as an operations manager at Jindal Telecom for 7 years before entering the entertainment industry. He married Pashmeen Manchanda on 12 December 2010 in a Gurudwara.
Sobti entered into the Indian television industry on the recommendation of his childhood friends and actors Karan Wahi and Priyanka Bassi. He made his acting debut in 2009 as Swayam Khurana in Star Plus's faith-oriented show Shraddha opposite Neha Janpandit. The series did not last long, and he later on appeared in a negative cameo role in the series Dill Mill Gayye as Dr. Raj, a medical intern with drug addiction.
In 2011, Barun Sobti starred in Star Plus's Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? as Arnav Singh Raizada . His portrayal as an arrogant business tycoon earned him recognition in India and worldwide. The series has been dubbed into different languages and has aired in over 50 countries since 2012.
Sobti made his Bollywood debut in 2014 with the film Main Aur Mr. Riight, a romantic comedy opposite Shenaz Treasury. The film did not perform well at the box office but had Sobti's performance praised by critics.
His second film, the soccer themed movie Tu Hai Mera Sunday , directed by Milind Dhaimade, premiered at the British Film Institute London Film Festival, then in India at the MAMI Mumbai Film Festival.
In 2015, he starred in Dry Dreams, a short film about water conservation. The short film was Sobti's debut into the digital platform, after which he starred in Hotstar's romantic webseries Tanhaiyan opposite Surbhi Jyoti. He later on starred in ALTBalaji's The Great Indian Dysfunctional Family opposite ace actors Kay Kay Menon and Swaroop Sampat.
In 2018, Sobti's third film 22 Yards premiered at the inaugural Bay Area South Asian Film Festival in California . He won the Best Actor Award for his performance in the film, which released in India on 15 March 2019.
In 2014, Sobti signed Arshad Sayed's Satra Ko Shaadi Hai, but in May 2017, Sobti expressed a belief that the film had been shelved. He said, "I don't exactly know the status of that film, but I doubt it's ever going to come out. I finished shooting for it a long ago."
|2009–2010||Shraddha||Swayam Khurana||Star Plus||Debut|
|2010||Dill Mill Gayye||Raj Singh||Star One||Cameo|
|2010–2011||Baat Hamari Pakki Hai||Shravan Jaiswal||Sony TV|
|2011–2012||Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?||Arnav Singh Raizada||Star Plus|
|2017||Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? 3||Advay Singh Raizada|
|2017||Tanhaiyan||Haider Ali Khan||Hotstar|
|2018||The Great Indian Dysfunctional Family||Samar Ranaut||ALT Balaji|
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2014||Main Aur Mr. Riight||Sukhi Singh||Debut|||
|2015||Dry Dreams||Unnamed||Short Film|||
|2017||Calon Istriku Putri Dari India||Ajay||Indonesian Short Film|
|Tu Hai Mera Sunday||Arjun Anand||World Premiere at BFI, London|||
|2019||22 Yards||Ron Sen||World Premiere at the BASAFF, California|
|N/A||Satra Ko Shaadi Hai||Naresh Sinhal||Post-Production|||
Sobti featured in a comedy stage play titled Do Fool Chaar Maali in Dubai in 2013. He was the narrator along with Mrunal Thakur.
- 2010: Boogie Woogie- Dance Performance with Ankita Sharma to promote Baat Hamari Pakki Hai.
- 2010: Indian Idol- Guest Appearance with Ankita Sharma to promote Baat Hamari Pakki Hai.
- 2011: India Ne Bana Di Jodi- Dance Performance with Ankita Sharma.
- 2012: Star Parivaar Awards- Host.
- 2012: Star Diwali Har Chehre Pe Muskaan- Host.
- 2012: Star Parivaar Live, UK- Host and Dance Performance.
- 2013: Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?...Ek Baar Phir as Arnav (to introduce Shlok)
- 2016: Sevadi Sevmaydi- Special Appearance in an Uzbek film.
- 2017: Star Parivaar Awards- Dance Performance and Unveiling of Advay Singh Raizada from Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon 3.
- 2017: Yeh Hai Mohabbatein- To promote Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon 3.
- 2017: Ishqbaaaz- To promote Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon 3.
- 2018: Juzzbaatt- Guest with Zain Imam.
Advertisements and endorsementsEdit
Prior to entering the Indian television industry, Sobti appeared in a Reliance BIG TV advertisement and three Ford Figo advertisements with Panchi Bora and in Dulux Paints, raza.com advertisements with Sanaya Irani.
In 2013, he was also appointed as the brand ambassador for Scavin eyewear.
In 2015, Sobti became the brand ambassador for an eyewear company, Scavin, and featured in their promotional video called "Dawn".
In 2017, he featured in four promotional videos for Tinder, the official sponsor of his webseries Tanhaiyan. Soon after, Sobti featured in an Asian Paints advertisement.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2011||Star Guild Awards||Best Actor||Baat Hamari Pakki Hai||Nominated|||
|2012||People's Choice Awards India||Favorite Actor (Drama)||Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?||Won|||
|Favorite On-screen Jodi
(With Sanaya Irani)
|Indian Television Academy Awards||Best Actor Popular||Won|||
|Indian Telly Awards||Best Onscreen Couple
(With Sanaya Irani)
|Best Television Personality of the Year||Nominated|||
|2017||Indian Television Academy Awards||Best Actor Popular||Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon 3||Nominated|
- "Barun Sobti Turns 30: 5 Fun Facts About The Birthday Boy". Indiatimes. 21 August 2014.
- "Manish Paul, other TV-Bollywood actors who are not single!". Hindustan Times.
- "10 things you didn't know about Barun Sobti and Pashmeen Manchanda's love story". daily.bhaskar.com.
- "I have reservations about doing intimate scenes: Barun Sobti". The Times of India. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "Main Air Mr.Right". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "Main Aur Mr Riight (2014)". Times Of India. 13 December 2014. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- "Watch: Kritika Kamra kills Barun Sobti for water". Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- A, Nagarathna (17 January 2017). "15 Best Scenes Of Barun Sobti & Surbhi Jyoti's Tanhaiyan That We Loved The Most!". FilmiBeat. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "The Great Indian Dysfunctional Family". Retrieved 16 November 2018.
- "Barun Sobtis new avatar for 22-Yards". Times of India. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "John Abraham to Launch Harshavardan in Bollywood". Times of India. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "Barun Sobti how he is the best family man". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "Barun Sobti and Sapna Pabbi-starrer Satra Ko Shaadi Hai shelved". 23 May 2017.
- "Ali Zafar crowned sexiest Asian man on planet". Times of India. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "Top 10 Most Handsome Men In the World - 2018 Update". The Gazette Review. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "Barun Sobti's 'Main Aur Mr Riight' promo gets a positive response". The Times of India. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "'Satra Ko Shaadi Hai' is about big fat chaos filled Indian wedding". The Indian Express. 30 April 2014. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "Everything in life is risky: Barun Sobti". The AsMarch 2016.
- "India Ne Bana Di Jodi dazzles tonight". dailybhaskar. 2 January 2011. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- Second season of Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon – Daily Bhaskar
- "When Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon's Barun Sobti met Divyanka Tripathi and Karan Patel". Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- "6th Apsara Awards-". apsaraawards.org. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- "2012 And the winners are..." People's Choice Awards India. Archived from the original on 25 February 2014. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "The ITA Awards 2012 - Popular Top-5". Archived from the original on 29 October 2013.
- "Telly awards 2012 Popular Awards winners".