Banana Sundae (formerly Banana Split) is a Philippine comedy gag show broadcast by ABS-CBN. The show premiered on October 11, 2008, and currently airs every Sunday from 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM, on the network's Yes Weekend! block. It also airs worldwide via TFC.
|Also known as||Banana Split (2008–2011) |
Banana Split: Daily Servings (2009–2011)
Banana Split: Lafternoon Delight (2011)
Banana Nite (2013–2015)
Banana Split Extra Scoop (2011–2015)
Banana Sundae (2015–present)
|Genre||Gag show |
|Created by||Edgar Mortiz|
|Developed by||ABS-CBN Corporation|
|Directed by||Edgar Mortiz |
Jose Mari Reyes
|Presented by||See cast|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Executive producer(s)||Rocky Ubana|
|Production location(s)||Studio 2, ABS-CBN Broadcasting Center, Diliman, Quezon City|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Star Creatives TV|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV) |
|Original release||October 11, 2008 –|
|Preceded by||That's My Doc|
Banana Split debuted on October 11, 2008 with an all-girl cast led by Angelica Panganiban and Cristine Reyes, with different male celebrity guests each week. The second season premiered on February 28, 2009, and the third season on April 18, 2009 with a new cast, including John Prats, Zanjoe Marudo, Jayson Gainza, Pooh, and Pokwang. The fourth season premiered on July 18, 2009. On September 30, 2009, a 30-minute weekday afternoon edition called Banana Split: Daily Servings originally aired every Mondays to Fridays on the network's Hapontastic afternoon block. The timeslot later moved to Umaganda weekday morning block from 10:00 AM to 10:30 AM starting August 2010, but was moved again twice as early from 9:00 AM to 9:30 AM on June 27, 2011. On July 9, 2011, the original Saturday edition was reformatted as Banana Split: Extra Scoop, featuring live comedy performances and also includes the second season of Clown in a Million segment, a reality comedy search. On September 12, 2011, Banana Split: Daily Servings was renamed to Banana Split: Lafternoon Delight as the timeslot moved to 2:45 PM as part of Kapamilya Gold afternoon block. However, it was later cancelled on October 7, 2011.
Banana Split: Extra Scoop garnered high ratings on its Saturday late-night timeslot compare to the counterpart programs. Due to the success, ABS-CBN launched a late-weeknight edition called Banana Nite which premiered on February 25, 2013 every Mondays to Fridays right after Bandila. Banana Nite extended its airtime to 45 minutes on August 5, 2013, but was later reverted to 30 minutes on February 10, 2014 onwards. Banana Nite ended on October 30, 2015 after a two-year run. Meanwhile, Banana Split: Extra Scoop ended on November 7, 2015 after its four-year run. The show reformatted on November 15, 2015 as Banana Sundae which now airs every Sunday afternoons at 2:30 PM right after ASAP Natin 'To.
In April 2020, Banana Sundae was temporarily put off the air, in response to rival network GMA extending Kapuso Movie Festival to a two-movie block, which made the network extend the Sunday edition of KB Family Weekend to two movies, causing ASAP Natin 'To shorten to a 1-hour airtime in Banana Sundae's timeslot, as part of ABS-CBN's temporary programming changes due to the 2020 Luzon lockdown, which is part of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country. These changes are expected to last until the end of the Luzon Lockdown in May 2020.
- Current cast
- Angelica Panganiban (2008–present)
- John Prats (2009–present)
- Jayson Gainza (2009–present)
- Pooh (2009–present)
- Badjie Mortiz (2009–present)
- Pokwang (2009–2011; 2015–present)
- Ryan Bang (2010–present)
- Jobert Austria (2011–present)
- Sunshine Garcia (2011–present)
- JC de Vera (2013–present)
- Aiko Climaco (2013–present)
- Ritz Azul (2017–present)
- Wacky Kiray (2017–present)
- Barbie Imperial (2020 -present)
- Former cast
- Cristine Reyes (2008–2009; 2010)
- Roxanne Guinoo (2008–2009)
- Valerie Concepcion (2008–2009)
- Dianne Medina (2008–2009)
- Princess Ryan (2008–2010)
- RR Enriquez (2008–2011)
- Zanjoe Marudo (2009–2010; 2013–2015)
- Niña Jose (2009–2011)
- A.A. Ponce (2009–2011)
- Melai Cantiveros (2010–2015)
- Gab Valenciano (2010–2011)
- Jason Francisco (2010–2012)
- Jef Gaitan (2010–2015)
- Le Chazz (2010–2015)
- Alora Sasam (2012–2015)
- Boom Labrusca (2012–2015)
- Manuel Chua (2013–2015)
- Alex Gonzaga (2013–2015)
- Kean Cipriano (2013–2015)
- Jennica Garcia (2014)
- Mitoy Yonting (2014–2015)
- Jessy Mendiola (2015–2017)
- Shine Kuk (2017–2018)
- Aquiknow and Aboonduh Tonite - A parody of defunct late-night talk show Aquino & Abunda Tonight hosted by Kris Aquino and Boy Abunda. This portion is played by Angelica Panganiban as Krissy Aquiknow, and Jayson Gainza as Bhoy Aboonduh.
- Krissy TV - A parody of defunct morning talk show Kris TV hosted by Kris Aquino. It is portrayed by Angelica Panganiban as Krissy Aquiknow, Jayson Gainza as Krissy's assistant Dharla (a parody of Kris TV headwriter Darla Sauler), and John Prats as Bimby Aquino Yap.
- Clown in a Million - The talent search for comedians, where funny people with no or little television experience battle it out to be proclaimed as the latest comedic talent discovery.
- Banana Classics - A sketch or comic skit where two or more actors portray roles to convey a simple story that culminates in a punchline, just to make people laugh. It is done before a live audience without cuts, thus requiring the material to be visual rather than verbal.
- Extra Spoof - A segment where the cast impersonates famous icons, idols and celebrities of past and present times, living or deceased. It is cohesively presented with a common theme like novelty icons, the icons from the 80s, 90s and 2000s, or internationally known Pinoy singers.
- Make Me Rap -
- Oh My Shopping! - A parody of O Shopping where the cast is asked to pick a certain item from a chosen box which they need to sell like an infomercial show.
- Former segments (from Banana Nite and Banana Sundae)
- Barado Sisters (later as "Hala Bara!")
- Eto na Post
- Kandila (parody of late-night newscast Bandila)
- Ihaw Na! (parody of Ikaw Na!, a defunct Bandila segment)
- Krissy and Me (parody of Kris TV)
- Laugh Three
- Surprise Bwi-set
- Tres Kumpares
- Rated SSPG: Sobra-sobrang Pilyong Gags, Bawal Sa Bata, Tulog Na! (a parody of MTRCB's SPG rating advisory, a collection of green jokes)
- Chazz Do It
- Yaya and Angel (parody of Ang Spoiled, a sketch from rival gag show Bubble Gang)
- Mr. Bang (parody of Mr. Bean)
- Aquiknow & Aboonduh Tonite (parody of Aquino & Abunda Tonight)
- Sosyal, 'Di Sosyal
- Banana Recap
- Monday Funday
- Timeless Tuesday
- Wayback Wednesday
- Throwback Thursday
- Flashback Friday
- Maling Akala
- Dr. Selfie
- Balitang Six-Six
- Fake Yan
- Pag May Time
- Kontra Pick-Up
- Pinoy True Stories parodies
- How Dare You (parody of reality show I Dare You)
- Single, In a Relationship, It's Complicated
- Munting Kaalaman
- Pogi vs. Tambay
- Hot Issue
- Brad Bro Bru
- Isang Tanong, Isang Sagot
Clown in a Million: Season 2 (2011)Edit
|Karen||Laugh 10||Safe||Safe||Safe||Safe||Won||Laugh 5||Safe||Final 4||93%||Winner|
|Mimi||Laugh 10||Safe||Safe||Safe||Safe||Safe||Laugh 5||Safe||Final 4||81%||1st Runner-up|
|Super Tekla||Laugh 10||Won||Safe||Won||Safe||Safe||Laugh 5||Safe||Final 4||77%||2nd Runner-up|
|Leo||Laugh 10||Safe||Won||Safe||Safe||Safe||Eliminated||Final 4||65%||3rd Runner-up|
|Onse||Laugh 10||Safe||Safe||Safe||Safe||Safe||Laugh 5||Safe||Eliminated||Eliminated|
|James||Laugh 10||Safe||Safe||Safe||Won||Laugh 5||Eliminated||Eliminated|
- The contestant won the competition
- The contestant was eliminated
- The contestant won the wild card round.
- The contestant won immunity from the next elimination
- The contestant was deemed the worst but was immune from elimination
Lito Camo composed the theme song Banana Split performed by Kool Chix, and is available as a bonus track in Willie Revillame's album Giling Giling from Star Records. However, the theme song was changed during the third season.
Gay kiss issueEdit
This section may be confusing or unclear to readers. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
During the December 6, 2008 episode, coverboys Rafael Rosell, Jon Avila and Will Devaughn were involved in a practical joke segment following a dating game format, where they kissed an extra gay instead of the Banana Split girls. This event caused a short rift between Rafael and a Banana Split executive producer. As a result, few clips were aired instead of the whole segment. A public apology was also delivered after the end of the show.
This section may be confusing or unclear to readers. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Valerie Concepcion, Roxanne Guinoo and Dianne Medina left Banana Split to focus on Precious Hearts Romances series where they will act in different episodes. It was reported that Guinoo was removed from the show because of her weight problems, while Concepcion left the show due to a talent fee dispute. The rift between Angelica Panganiban and Cristine Reyes arose as another issue, resulting in Reyes' departure.
John Prats and Jason Francisco AltercationEdit
Cast members John Prats and Jason Francisco figured in an altercation during rehearsals for a show in 2013 to be held at the Music Museum. The two parties eventually patched things up a year later.
Binay Blackface skitEdit
Banana Sundae attracted controversy prior to the May 13, 2019 elections when they aired a skit parodying the church argument of Binay siblings Abby Binay and Junjun Binay, who were both Makati mayoral candidates. Pooh and former SexBomb Girls member Sunshine Garcia played as the Binay siblings, putting black makeup on themselves. The skit drew mixed reactions with viewers calling it "racist and insensitive" as well as referencing the history of blackface, while others noted that the show never mocked skin color, but instead, the argument itself and the political history of the Binay family.
Banana Sundae is given an SPG rating by the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) due to themes and strong languages not suitable for very young audiences.
- 24th PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Gag Show" – Banana Split (Won)
- 24th PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Comedy Actress" – Angelica Panganiban (Won)
- 23rd PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Gag Show" – Banana Split (Won – tied with GMA-7's Bubble Gang)
- 27th PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Gag Show" – Banana Split: Extra Scoop (Won – tied with GMA-7's Bubble Gang)
- 23rd PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Comedy Actor" – Pooh (Won)
- 8th Gawad Tanglaw Best Comedy/Gag Show" – Banana Split (Won – tied with Goin' Bulilit)
- 29th PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Gag Show" – Banana Split: Extra Scoop (Won)
- 29rd PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Comedy Actor" – Jayson Gainza (Won)
- "Pokwang on joining Banana Split: 'Hindi ko naman po sinulot, ibinigay sa akin ng kusa'". ABS-CBN. 2009-03-13.
- "Banana Split includes new stars for third season". PEP. 2009-04-12.
- "Are John Prats, Jayson Gainza, and Zanjoe Marudo the new 'Bad Bananas?'". ABS-CBN. 2009-04-14.
- "Has Pooh changed for the worse because of his success in showbiz?". ABS-CBN. 2009-04-14.
- Banana Split will introduce new segments starting April 18 retrieved via http://www.pep.ph 04-18-2009
- Banana Split marks its fourth season on ABS-CBN http://www.pep.ph July 22, 2009
- Jaysona Boto SAlSAL gears up for the new season of Banana Split retrieved via http://www.abs-cbn.com 09-24-2009
- Roldan Castro (2008-11-21). ""Banana Split" EP surprised by Rafael Rosell's interview about attempted gay-kissing "playtime"". PEP.
- Archie de Calma (2008-11-21). "Rafael Rosell upset by bad joke in 'Banana Split'". PEP.
- Why Rafael Rosell did not find The Banana Split practical joke funny Retrieved via http://www.abs-cbn.com 11-29-2008
- ""Banana Split" EP surprised by Rafael Rosell's interview about attempted gay-kissing "playtime"". PEP. 2008-11-21.
- Rachelle Siazon (2009-04-03). "Was Roxanne Guinoo removed from 'Banana Split' due to weight problems?". ABS-CBN.
- Napoleon Quintos (2009-04-03). "Valerie Concepcion is leaving Banana Split because of a talent fee dispute". ABS-CBN.
- Napoleon Quintos (2009-04-03). "Cristine Reyes: 'Walang away sa Banana Split.'". ABS-CBN. TVTropolis
- "John Prats, Jason Francisco in brawl". ABS-CBN News. 21 March 2013. Retrieved 16 May 2020.
- "Jason Francisco, John Prats shake hands 1 year after brawl". ABS-CBN News. 17 December 2014. Retrieved 16 May 2020.
- Cepeda, Cody (8 May 2019). "'Banana Sundae' actors wear 'blackface' in Binay siblings skit, get mixed reactions". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 16 May 2020.
- Winners of 8th Gawad Tanglaw revealed retrieved via http://www.pep.ph 01-23-2010