Wilfredo Buendia Revillame (Tagalog pronunciation: [bwɛnˈdɪa ɾɛˈvɪʎame]; born January 27, 1961), better known as Willie Revillame, is a Filipino television host, singer, songwriter, businessman, actor, and comedian.
Wilfredo Buendia Revillame
January 27, 1961
|Other names||Wil, Kuya Wil|
|Occupation||TV host, singer, actor, comedian, producer, businessman|
|Labels||OctoArts EMI (2001) |
Universal Records (2004–2005)
Star Music (2005–2010)
Viva Records (2010–2013)
MCA Music (Philippines) (2012–2013)
GMA Records (2015–present)
Life and careerEdit
Revillame started out as the host of GMA Network's noontime variety program Lunch Date in the late 1980s together with Randy Santiago. After his hosting stint he started appearing on different movies playing sidekick to big-named stars. In 1998, he started co-hosting the ABS-CBN noontime show 'Sang Linggo nAPO Sila. After the show was cancelled to make way for his big break in Magandang Tanghali Bayan, he also started appearing in Richard Loves Lucy. Other shows he hosted within the network were Willingly Yours, Masayang Tanghali Bayan, and Wowowee, as well as TV5 variety programs like Willing Willie, Wil Time Bigtime and Wowowillie.
In March 2015, Revillame marked his homecoming in GMA Network (his original home network), his long-awaited return to Philippine showbiz and to Philippine television via his newest weekly-variety program Wowowin, airing on GMA Network every Sunday afternoon since May 10, 2015 until it became a weekday-variety program in February 2016 due to the huge popularity of the show.
Revillame is known for developing a business, the Wil Tower Mall near ABS-CBN Eugenio Lopez Drive in Quezon City with business partner Manny Villar. It held its grand opening on September 15, 2013. Revillame is also a former owner of the restaurants W Bar and Wil Steak Town at Wil Events Place located near Wil Tower Mall and ABS-CBN along Sgt. Esguerra Avenue in South Triangle, Diliman, Quezon City. Wil Tower Mall was developed by the real estate firm Vista Land, but Revillame's holdings were sold to his business partner and friend, former Senator Manny Villar.
Revillame was interviewed for the April 2015 episode of Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho at his own rest house in Tagaytay City after the signing of contract with GMA Network. During the interview, GMA 7 broadcast journalist Jessica Soho said that Revillame is planning to build a 5-star resort-hotel located within the 5 hectare lot that he acquired from the Madrigal family. His own rest house is also located within the same lot.
Revillame married Liz Almoro in a civil ceremony at Lipa, Batangas in March 2005, officiated by Mayor Vilma Santos. This was followed shortly by a church wedding in June 2005. Their marriage was annulled in 2008. Prior to his marriage to Almoro, Revillame was married to actress Princess Punzalan.
This article may lend undue weight to certain ideas, incidents, or controversies. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
PhilSports Stadium stampedeEdit
On August 25, 2007, the Department of Justice dismissed criminal charges against Revillame in connection with the stampede. However, Justice Secretary Raul M. Gonzalez affirmed the charge against 14 others, including ABS-CBN officials.
Cory Aquino live funeral coverage controversyEdit
In the August 3, 2009 episode of Wowowee, during which the show was interrupted for live coverage of the transfer of President Cory Aquino's remains from La Salle Greenhills to the Manila Cathedral, Revillame said that he could not make people happy while the entire country was mourning. The Alliance of Filipino Journalists denounced his remarks as a sign of disrespect towards Aquino. Revillame said he had no intention of defaming the former president and her family. ABS-CBN senior executive Cory Vidanes said that the network supported Revillame's action, stating that his outburst did not run afoul of the Broadcast Code of the Philippines. Network entertainment official Johnny Manahan said Revillame was correct in saying that the footage should not have been inserted, but the way he said it was wrong.
Jobert Sucaldito controversyEdit
On May 4, 2010, Revillame went into another on-air tirade on his now-defunct noontime show "Wowowee", this time directing his anger at entertainment columnist and DZMM Radio host Jobert Sucaldito. Without mentioning him by name, he said he had enough of Sucaldito's alleged criticisms against the show having high-school contestants whose grades were below the passing mark for the Willie of Fortune segment and also ridiculing them on-screen. He threatened to resign from the show unless the ABS-CBN management dismissed Sucaldito, who described Revillame's rant as being "pikon" (Tagalog slang meaning 'touchy'). He went on an indefinite leave three weeks later after the network declined his resignation letter.
Legal troubles with ABS-CBNEdit
In a press conference on August 9, 2010, Revillame announced that he was ending his contract with ABS-CBN, even if it is supposed to expire in September 2011. He also accused ABS-CBN of violating several provisions in his contract. He narrated that his decision came out of meetings between ABS-CBN production head Linggit Tan and network president Charo Santos-Concio regarding a return to the show on July 31. However, on July 20, Tan said the management will replace Wowowee with a new show on July 31 and also offered him a one-hour weekly show. She added negative feedback still prevailed among network employees about him going to work again. Despite the move, the network stated that Revillame's Wowowee tirade only highlighted his arrogance and stressed that the contract is still in effect.
Child abuse caseEdit
On March 12, 2011, a "macho dance" by an apparently unhappy six-year-old boy on Revillame's primetime show, Willing Willie, resulted in criticism, including the Philippine Department of Social Welfare and Development describing it as a case of child abuse. Revillame "sincerely and deeply" apologized for the segment, “which viewers may have found offensive or in bad taste.” The Commission on Human Rights pursued an investigation of the program for violating the law. In October 2015, the Court of Appeals allowed the arrest and prosecution of Revillame over the case. Atty. Nards de Vera, lawyer of Revillame, clarified in a GMA News article that Revillame has already posted the bail for the two cases in September 2013, and does not need the warrant of arrest served against his client. On April 11, 2016, the 3rd division of the Court of Appeal (CA) had affirmed the Regional Trial Court Quezon City Judge Roberto Buenaventura Decision. The CA said that Judge Buenaventura hadn't committed no grave abuse of discretion. In the CA's Decision, written by Justice Maria Luisa Quijano-Padilla, on the arrest and to bring to trial Willie Revillame, they said, " “as there is probable cause for the petitioner’s commission of a crime, his arrest and arraignment should now ensue so that this case may properly proceed to trial, where the merits of both parties’ evidence and allegations may be weighed.”
|Nobody, Nobody But... Juan||2009||Himself|
|Pera o bayong (Not da TV)||2000||Bartolome|
|Matalino man ang matsing na-iisahan din!||2000||Mando|
|Alyas Boy Tigas: Ang probinsyanong wais||1998||Boy Tigas|
|Kasangga Kahit Kailan||1998||Muerte|
|Bobby Barbers, Parak||1997|
|Go Johnny Go||1997|
|Kung kaya mo, kaya ko rin||1996|
|Sa kamay ng batas||1995|
|Ikaw Pa Eh Love Kita!||1995|
|Omar Abdullah: Pulis Probinsya 2, Tapusin Na Natin Ang Laban||1995|
|The Eddie Fernandez Story||1994|
|Pat. Omar Abdullah: Pulis Probinsiya||1992|
|Sagad Hanggang Buto||1991|
|Joey Boy Munti, 15 anyos ka sa Muntilupa||1991|
|Sam & Miguel (Your basura, no problema)||1991||Angelo|
|Barbi for President||1991|
|Joe Pring 2: Kidlat Ng Maynila||1990|
|Willing Willie/Wil Time Bigtime||TV5||2010–2013|
|Pinoy Big Brother||ABS-CBN||2005|
|Puso o Pera||ABC||2004|
|Masayang Tanghali Bayan||ABS-CBN||2003|
|Magandang Tanghali Bayan||ABS-CBN||1998–2001|
|Richard Loves Lucy||ABS-CBN||1998–2001|
|Gillage People||GMA Network||1997|
|Haybol Rambol||GMA Network||1994–1995|
|Actually 'Yun Na!||RPN||1994|
|Barangay U.S.: Unang Sigaw||RPN||1994|
|Four da Boys||IBC||1993|
|Kate en Boogie||GMA Network||1993–1994|
|GMA Telesine Specials||GMA Network||1992|
|Lovingly Yours, Helen||GMA Network||1991|
|Young Love, Sweet Love||RPN||1991|
|Pabuenas sa Siyete||GMA Network||1989|
|Ayos Lang Tsong!||IBC||1988|
|Lunch Date||GMA Network||1987–1993|
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2013)
Composed by Vehnee SaturnoEdit
- Gandang Filipina
Theme song of "Gandang Filipina" beauty contest segment of GMA 7 gameshow "Wowowin".
- I Love You
- Ikaw Ang Number 1
- Ikaw Na Nga
Covered by Daryl Ong.
- Kung Para Sayo
- Matapos Man Ang Kailanman
- Munting Hiling
- Nando'n Ako
Covered by Daryl Ong.
- Para Sa Akin Ay Ikaw
- Sa Yakap Mo
- Salamat Sa Inyo
- Sandal Ka Na
- Silong Na
Covered by Daryl Ong.
- Yun Ka
Covered by Daryl Ong and also covered by Angel Lapuz.
Composed by Ogie AlcasidEdit
- Akala Ko
OctoArts EMI MusicEdit
- "Parental Guidance?" (2001)
- "Pito Pito" (2004)
- "Para Sa 'Kin Ay Ikaw" (2005)
- "Wowowillie" (2005)
- "Namamasko Po!" (2006)
- "Dododo Dadada" (2007)
- "Willie Sings... Camo and Saturno" (2007)
- "Giling Giling" (2008)
- "Ikaw Na Nga" (2009)
- "I Love You" (2010)
- "Willing Willie" (2011)
- "Kendeng Kendeng" (2011)
- "S'yempre" (2012)
- "Christmas Wish" (2013)
- "Nando'n Ako" (2015)
- "Willie Sings... Camo and Saturno Vol. 2" (2019)
- Best Male TV Host (2005 and 2007) - Won
- Consumers Award Outstanding Variety Show (2008) - Won
- Consumers Award Outstanding Male TV Host (2008) - Won
- Novelty Singer of the Year (2010) - Won
- 2011 - PMPC Star Awards for TV - Best Variety Show (as Willing Willie)
- Celebrity Inductee, Eastwood City Walk Of Fame Philippines 2014- Won
- 2015 - PMPC Star Awards for TV - Best Game Show (Wowowin of GMA-7)
- 2015 - PMPC Star Awards for TV - Best Male Game Show Host
- 2016 - Inding-Indie Short Film Festival - Best Public Service TV Personality
- 2016 - Inding Indie Short Film Festival - Best Public Service TV Program of the Decade (Wowowin of GMA-7)
- 2016 - PMPC Star Awards for TV - Best Game Show (Wowowin of GMA-7)
- 2016 - Illumine Awards for Television (Global City Innovative College) - Most Innovative Game Show (Wowowin of GMA-7)
- 2017 - NwSSU Students Choice Awards for Radio and Television (Northwest Samar State University) - Best Game Show (Wowowin of GMA-7)
|Year||Award Giving Body||Category||Nominated Work||Results|
|2008||Awit Awards||Best Novelty Recording||"Sayaw Darling"||Nominated|
- "ALAMIN: Paano sumali sa birthday text promo ni Willie Revillame". GMA News. January 20, 2021. Archived from the original on January 24, 2021. Retrieved January 24, 2021.
- Trina Lagura. "Willie's mall soon to rise in QC". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "Willie Revillame Opens Up About the Women in His Life". Abs-cbn.com. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "PEP: Princess Punzalan is happy for ex-husband Willie Revillame's success". GMA News. GMA Network. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "GMA NEWS.TV, DOJ drops raps vs Revillame over Ultra tragedy". GMA News. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "Criticisms mount against Wowowee host Willie Revillame - PEP.ph: The Number One Site for Philippine Showbiz". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Archived from the original on 2010-05-15. Retrieved 2011-01-17.
- "ABS-CBN backs Willie Revillame; says Wowowee host did not violate Broadcast Code of the Philippines". Philippine Entertainment Portal. August 17, 2009.
- "Bebe Gandanghari meets Jessica Soho, March 7". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "Willie Revillame takes 'indefinite break' from 'Wowowee'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- Jojo Malig. "Boy abused in 'Willing Willie,' DSWD says". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "DSWD calls for censure of Willie for boy 'macho dancer;' Willie says sorry". GMA News. GMA Network.
- "CHR to investigate 'Willing Willie' incident". ABS-CBN News.
- Torres-Tupas, Tetch (October 18, 2015). "Willie Revillame ordered arrested over child abuse case". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved October 18, 2015.
- "Lawyer on CA order: No need to arrest Willie, he already posted bail". GMA News. Retrieved October 18, 2015.
- "Court denies Revillame plea in abuse case". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- "ABS-CBN big winner at GMMSF Entertainment Awards". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2014-05-21.