Atlee Kumar is an Indian film director and screenwriter who primarily works in Tamil cinema. He is best known for his directorial debut Raja Rani (2013), produced by Fox Star Studios, for which he was awarded the Vijay Award for Best Debut Director. Before directorial debut, He worked as an assistant director with high budget filmmaker S. Shankar for the films Enthiran (2010) and Nanban (2012). After a successful debut, the streak followed with successive ventures, Theri, and Mersal, both with actor Vijay.
Atlee at the 8th Vijay Awards, 2014
21 September 1986
|Alma mater||Sathyabama University|
|Occupation||Film director, screenplay writter and entertainment specialist|
|Spouse(s)||Krishna Priya (m. 2014)|
He began his career as an assistant director in Enthiran (2010) under director S. Shankar and he continued to work with him in his next project Nanban (2012), a remake of the Hindi film 3 Idiots. In 2013, he made his directional debut through Raja Rani. The film was produced by Fox Star Studios and AR Murugadoss. It was a romantic comedy featuring Arya, Jai, Nayantara, Nazriya Nazim and Sathyaraj. He was appreciated for pulling off an ensemble cast successfully in his very first film. Raja Rani eventually emerged as a success, earning over 500 million from the South Indian box office within four weeks. It also has won him the Vijay Award for Best Debut Director. Atlee's next directorial film, Theri, opened to positive reviews and second highest grossing Tamil films in 2016.
 His next film, Mersal starring Vijay, Nithya Menon, Kajal Aggarwal, Samantha and S. J. Surya and Sathyaraj, music by Music Maestro A. R. Rahman and produced by Sri Thenandal Films was released on Diwali 2017 opened to positive reviews with critics praising the performance of Vijay, A.R. Rahman's soundtrack, the cinematography, the social message and Atlee's direction and was a commercial success, grossing ₹251 crore (US$39.5 million) worldwide, becoming the fifth-highest grossing Tamil film and Vijay's highest-grossing film in his career. Atlee's next film, Thalapathy 63, will be his third collaboration with Vijay and set to be released on Diwali 2019.
Won, Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Dialogue Writer won Edison Awards Best Debut Director
Won, SIIMA Award For Best Director
Won, IIFA Utsavam Award for Best Director
|2021||Next with Salman Mersal (film) remake||Yes||No||Yes|
|Person||Raja Rani||Theri||Mersal||Thalapathy 63|
|Anthony L. Ruben||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|George C. Williams||Yes||Yes|
|G. V. Prakash Kumar||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- "Exclusive biography of @atlee_dir and on her life". Filmibeat. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- "Atlee-Krishna Priya Wedding Reception Photos". International Business Times. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Atlee Kumar". IMDb. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Raja Rani crosses 50 crore mark". The Times of India. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "8th Annual Vijay Awards a grand success". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Suganth, M. (19 May 2017) Sangili Bungili Kadhava Thorae. Times of India.
- Ilayathalapathy Vijay's Mersal creates history; breaches Rs 250-crore mark. IBTimes India (23 November 2017). Retrieved on 2019-01-18.
- Mersal box office collection: Vijay, Samantha's film completes 100 days. IBTimes India (25 January 2018). Retrieved on 2019-01-18.
- Thalapathy 63: Nayanthara to play Vijay's love interest in Atlee's next?. IBTimes India (15 November 2018). Retrieved on 2019-01-18.
- "Director Atlee is engaged to his". Behindwoods. 20 January 2016.